“Great Great Show - Would See it Again”
Review of Warner Theatre

Warner Theatre
Ranked #122 of 458 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Went to see Africa Umoja, a South African Song and Dance group. The costumes, the choregraphy, the singing excellent. Very rich and colorful performance.

Those dance moves, the leg work, the depth of the notes and the narrative that accompanied the different sets was captivating to say the least.

You felt you were part of each performance. The high energy was undeniable.The lighting and acoustics were superb and we were about 10 rows away from the stage (mid orchestra section).
It was worth every penny and more.

Rich, Colorful and Engaging !!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We attended a show here that my wife really wanted to see, and originally had seats about in the middle of the main floor. One of the seats was badly broken, and dumped me onto the floor when I tried to sit in it. (I am tall, but below average in weight for my height. I didn't overload it, and in any case this problem was clearly not new.)

I went back to the ticket office to point out that the seat was unusable, and they called the ushers who offered us a complimentary upgrade to seats in a higher cost area within a few rows of the stage. Unfortunately, one of *those* seats was also broken, with an armrest that kept flopping over onto my lap. (And with the show about to start and the theatre just about full, it didn't look like there would be any time for a further try at a correction.) I did manage to hold the armrest at bay during the performance, but it was annoying. We probably should have asked for our $80 back at that point, but my wife *really* wanted to see this performance.

But there turned out to be other, more systematic problems. I'm 6' 4" tall, and yet had to crane my neck to see the action on the stage since it sits up abnormally high above the seats. My wife, who had really wanted to see the pet acts in this performance, is about a foot shorter and hardly saw anything at all except on the rare occasions when one of the trained animals happened to come near the front of the stage.

Warner Theatre is an astonishingly beautiful building originally constructed in the 1920s as a movie palace, and it is worth going inside just to see it. But I'm afraid we've attended our one and only performance here. The overall experience should have been grand, but was a great disappointment. I think my rating is generous, considering that we got essentially no value for the money we laid out for the tickets, but I also think Poor is sufficient to send the message.

5  Thank AnnArborMiBob
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went last weekend to go see Daniel Tosh. We had seats in the middle but after being there in person the way the seats are arranged I think anywhere would have been perfect. The theater is beautiful and I don't know why but reminds me of something you would have seen in the early 1900's. You can tell the theater is old and the chairs a bit worn, but its charming and decorated beautifully. We also like the little "walk of fame" on the street outside of the theater, lots of little stars with celebrity names written on the concrete.

1  Thank lvanglkat
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This was my third time seeing a show at the beautiful Warner Theatre in DC. The previous two shows were stand up comics, this one was Scooby Doo Live. So I can say that this is a great venue for any kind of entertainment. Previously we sat in the orchestra section. This time mid-balcony. I sincerely believe there is no bad seat here. So buy what is in your price range. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It is such a gorgeous, historical theatre as well. I can't wait to see another show there!! Convenient parking as well!!!!!

15  Thank Cindy S
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We saw the Nutcracker Ballet at the Warner Theatre, a lovely and atmospheric venue. The theatre was built in the 1920s and reflects the ornate grandeur of the French Renaissance style, with carved gilded ceilings, old-fashioned red velvet chairs, and beautiful huge chandeliers. We had grand suite seats, which are the front rows of the balcony. The seats are small, and not very plush, but in the box suites we had plenty of room. My husband is over six feet and he was comfortable. The view was perfect. We had four people and we sat two and two could see very well, because the slope upwards on the theatre is excellent.

It is so much fun to go into the historic front, into the lobby and up the grand staircase to the balcony—sets the mood for an evening at the theatre. Parking is conveniently located right beneath the theater. The acoustics were excellent. Some reviews mentioned children fussing during the performance, but there was not a sound from anyone while we watched the show. During intermission there is waitress service in the box seats.

The usher staff was very efficient—everyone arrived at once and we were very quickly shown to our seats. The Ladies bathrooms were clean and the lines were short. (We went quickly before the show in the ladies room on the balcony.)

9  Thank Julia C