“A Trip to Italy”
Review of Al Dente

Al Dente
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Dente is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #662 of 3,229 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
“A Trip to Italy”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Al Dente is near my home, so I walk there frequently for an evening meal. I notice the reviews are spotty--some love it, some hate it. I only have had good experiences there. My one complaint is that there's little sound absorption so the place gets loud which makes it difficult to talk. But if you desire a good pasta dish, pizza, salad, or sandwich, come on in--just expect it to be noisy and a bit crowded on weekends. Sometimes the service can be slow, so I hail a waiter and complain--resolved. I went there on Tuesday night, October 22, 2013, and loved my Farro Whole Grain Fettucine ($16.95) which had basil, cherry tomatoes, garlic, & olive oil. My discriminating fellow diner liked the Tagliatelle all Bolognese ($17.95). In the past I've tasted their pizza (excellent) and sandwiches (also good). Exec. Chef Roberto Donna is serious about his food and plans special food nights which you can follow on their website www.aldentedc.com. Also on their website are their menus, prices, and all information you need to make a reservation. There is outdoor seating in good weather. I look forward to going back. Open for lunch & dinners. 202-244-2223.

“New York in DC”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Al Dente, in the former place of Sutton PlacevGourmet is a plus in the neighberhood. The ambiance is like beeing in Manhattan. Casual and In permanent motion. Pasta and Ossobuco were outstanding. Chef Roberto Dona made it again.

Visited October 2013
Readington, New Jersey
“Rip off”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Visiting with our son in college, we wanted to take him to a nice restaurant close to campus. Was able to get early reservations on a Saturday night at Al Dente, and the menu looked decent, so we went here. Decided to go all out and get the 4-course prix fixe dinner for $35 each. What a rip off! Came away very hungry and very unsatisfied. While the food tasted pretty good, the portion sizes were ridiculously tiny. The main entrees of either fish or steak could literally be eaten in 4 bites. I have never seen such a small piece of fish served as an entree before. I don't mind spending the money when I have a good experience and come away satisfied and full, but I will not go back to a restaurant that I feel has ripped me off, as this one has.

washington, dc
“Very Good food, team style service, dinner with a shout”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Al Dente is a fine neighborhood restaurant, with very good food offerings, many unusual (scallops with squid ink polenta). We were seated promptly with a reservation on a very busy Friday. During the course of our meal we were served by at least four different waiters: one gave menu and announced specials, one took order and returned to announce on item sold out, a third brought the appetizer and wine, a fourth brought the main courses, but without the wine refill ordered, and the first returned with the wine and brought the check. Satisfactory, but left the feeling that no one really cared about us, especially since bread was not refilled and neither was water. So much noise meant shouting to carry on a conversation -- and I had requested a quiet table!

“Never Go Back”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We know the chef Roberto from his Galileo restaurants. He is talented and inventive. BUT, the service and overall experience at Al Dente was atrocious. Our French server embodied all the worst characteristics of a surly Paris waiter. Our food was late and the wine service was ill-timed. Beyond that, the space was very noisy and crowded. Even though the various dishes we ordered were decent, it's not worth going back with all the other excellent restaurants in the area.

Visited October 2013