“Home style Dominican food cooked to perfection”
Review of Los Hermanos

Los Hermanos
Ranked #767 of 3,257 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Caribbean
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Home style Dominican food cooked to perfection”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

The name translates to 'the brothers' but it should be the brothers, their mother and the rest of the family. This is all about homemade food served cafeteria style.

My fiancée and I come here regularly and I make a point of trying everything I see. The regulars like the pulled pork, salt cod, chicken or beef stew with rice and beans (yellow or white), plantains and yucca are all great but I do like to try something different. I haven't been dossapointed trying their tongue, liver or tripe stews. The only I didn't like was the gizzards.

If you want to go healthy then the pulled pork with steamed veggies and their homemade hot sauce is the way to go. The pork is moist and falls apart, while the veggies are simply cooked but fresh and delicious, the hot sauce makes it.

Oh and if their mom has made her fried chicken or chicken soup you have to try it, if only a couple of pieces or a half serve of the soup to share. Both are incredible.

An 'expensive' meal for my fiancée and I is ~$20. But that includes two plates (and I normally have two or three choices), drinks, a side (like an empanadas, fried pork or a little soup) so it's great value.

• Visited May 2013

Iowa City, Iowa
“Great service, good eats.”
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We were immediately greeted with warm a warm welcome when we walked up to the counter. The staff talked us through everything as we made our selections (and we needed it). We chose the most popular dishes and they were all extremely delicious! Not super expensive with large portions. Someone even came by later with some plantains to try. Bottom line- great food, great service, good value.

Spokane, Washington
“Columbia Heights lunch, basic and perfect”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Found on an Internet site, because as tourists to DC, we never would have noticed this little place. It is where the local folks catch their lunch. The twin brothers who run this prepare the pork or chicken in several different ways, very flavorful, with sides like rice or yucca or plantains. This is cafeteria style but really more like walking into someone's kitchen where they dish up their mother's favorites to you, with obvious pride. We didn't know what to ask for. 'First time ? ' one of the twins asked. We nodded. He filled two plates with amazing pulled pork and sauces and sides and we carried it over to one of the simple tables and dug in. Whole lunch for 2 was under $12. Believe he said they were Dominican. Don't know. Warm food on a chilly winter day. Perfect.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Sarahwah53
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Meaty treat”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Me and my partner purposely end our runs here sometimes so we can finish with some meat. The two twin brothers are always there and always lets us get as much or little as we want. Last time we just got some pork for $5...so if you like us dont always want all the sides this is the place to go. I love how flexible they are in what you can get. Healthy options are limited but small servings an option. We never sit in the restaurant to eat since there is plenty of outdoor public space close by but they have plenty of seating - nothing special as far as seating goes but plenty of it. Enjoy

• Visited November 2012
Arlington, VA, USA
“Very tasty, inexpensive, great service”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Loved this place! I got the "La Bandera" plate with beef plus tostones and mofongo. The only drawback I see is that since it's cafeteria style, you'll occasionally get something that has been on a hot plate for a bit. This was the case with the beef on my Bandera...tasty, but could have been more fresh. The mofongo was right off the pan and the tostones right out of the fryer and both were awesome! The maduros (sweet plantains) and the rice and beans were plentiful and delightful. Generous portions, good prices, friendly service! After Cuba de Ayer (Burtonsville,MD) this is the best Caribbean food I've had in the DMV. Limited street parking; not sure how much it costs to park at the shopping center close by - metro is recommended.

• Visited October 2012