“Social and near the bus”
Review of DC Lofty

DC Lofty
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Not sure I understand the whole "take your shoes off" thing as this is the only hostel Ive come across so far that has this policy. But the hostel was clean and tidy and the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and can point in the right directions. The kitchen and lounge well maintained. Not quite walking distance but on an easy to use bus route.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had rang up the day before we arrived to ask to check in early around 10am which they said was no problem (check in is supposed to be at 3pm but our booking confirmation told us that you could check in from 10am if you rang in advance to ask them). When we arrived, no staff were in the hostel at all and we had to make another phone call and then wait half an hour for someone to come over. We were literally greeted with "what are you guys doing here? You're not supposed to be in here till after you've checked in and take your shoes off, you aren't allowed to wear them in the house." There was no apology for being late, no "welcome to DC" and no introductions as to who he was (otherwise I would be naming and shaming). After this he told us we couldn't get into our rooms until 3pm and that early check in simply means that you can come and pay at 10am. This is quite different to my opinion of 'checking in' and after telling him so we managed to get into our rooms at around 11.45am.

The rooms were ok, and on the plus side every bed had its own lamp and two plugs. However the beds were infested with fleas or bed bugs or something as we all got bitten every night. The lockers were very small, not big enough to fit our 65 litre rucksacks in, and they were very easy to break into - we had three different locks between us and only one of them locked the locker properly so that you had to use the key to open it.

The bathrooms were filthy, there was no soap or hand towels in the toilet and the shower looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks. The floors of the whole hostel were also filthy which made the 'no shoes rule' completely pointless.

Overall I hated my stay here and couldn't wait to leave. The only reason I have given it a 'poor' and not 'terrible' review is because the location was fairly decent (10-15 min walk to central DC) and there were free computers to use.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I'm a student and I was traveling on a low budget, so I decided to go to a youth hostel. I was traveling alone so I decided for a 4-bed girls dorm. We had our own bathroom and I was with 3 really nice other guests in the room.
The hostel has a kitchen where you can store and cook your food, that saves a lot of money on a low budget trip.
They also have a living room with three couches and a flat-screen TV with a netflix account. Meaning you can watch pretty much what ever movie or series you want.
There was also a business center with three computers and free printing, as well as free wifi in every room.
Everything is in walking distance and if you don't feel like walking, public transportation is really cheap in DC.
It was a place for mostly young people, most of them not 21 yet but there are also some older ones. Meeting people from all over the world was one of the best experiences. The staff was very friendly as well and I had a great time talking to Max and Grant. Thank you very much for the great time and for the golden peanut :)

I don't compare the rating of this hostel to the one of a 5* place. I rate it the way I experienced it and based on my expectations and needs.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here for a few days with a friend. It's a nice place with two houses next door to each other you do have to walk outside to get from one to the other but it's not a big hassle. The staff are really friendly and helpful. There is also a kitchen but no oven but there is everything else. There are free computers to use which are good but the wifi isn't great, it was hard to get connected and in our room we couldn't get wifi very often! The location is good, easy access to the metro and buses and not far from main attractions! Had a great stay here, met people from around the world and it was easy to socialise in areas such as the living room which has a flat screen TV with Netflix and outdoor porch areas! I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a cheap sociable place on DC!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were great. Reasonably priced, clean, spacious. Each bed has its own outlet and light, along with the room light. There's a bathroom with a shower in the rooms, and the overall setup made sense.

They have this weird policy where you have to wear these slippers instead of your shoes inside, but you can wear those outside... Can't say I really understand that.

And the guy that greeted us was either useless, completely stoned, or both. He told us the hostel was a spot on the map entirely apart from where it actually was, told us the wrong parking spot, and didn't even know the address of the place when I said it to him.

The place itself was great though. Very reasonable price, too.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Good location. About 20minutes walk to the Smithsonian, or the Washington Mall.

Hostel has stairs. Not good for carrying luggage.

No shoe policy, but they do provide slippers.

I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm with ensuite. Big room. Comfy beds. Each bunk equipped with reading light and power points. Big locker. Good bathroom. Showers abit cold. Floor length mirror would have been a bonus.

3 public computers, Free! Free WIFI.

TV room with couches and a good kitchen. Nicely decorated. Felt homey.

Greatly priced. I was very happy with the DC Lofty.

Will happily return

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This hostel is by far the best I've ever stayed at. The cleanliness is magnificent, even in the kitchen and the bathrooms. We were staying in an 8-bed mixed dorm in the basement at street level which was cool, but not great. The temperature was good, the beds great and there was enough space for suitcases without the room being really crowded.
The staff is really chill - friendly, helpful and easy to talk to. There were a little issues with the doors, but nothing major. Only thing I would have liked would be maybe a shower and a toilet more by our room, but it works out fine if you are not in a hurry.
Location is about a 20 minute walk from the Smithsonian, and the neighborhood is great.
All in all, this was the perfect place to stay when experiencing DC.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends