“Stay at the cappella”

Ranked #89 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Charlotte, Nc
“Stay at the cappella”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I recently spent several days visiting Washington, D.C. with a group of ladies and we stayed at the brand new Capella hotel in Georgetown. I simply cannot say enough good things about this lovely boutique property. I felt like I was staying in a private home but with all of the finest 21st century conveniences. Everyone remembered our names from the moment we arrived, they accommodated me with an early check-in, my room was simply elegant in every way…exquisite linens, gorgeous marble bathroom, and my favorite part was that you simply clicked a button by the bed and all of the curtains opened automatically! We had gourmet breakfasts in the main floor restaurant each morning. Heard that the rooftop bar is terrific but it was too cold for us to enjoy that during our stay. Cannot wait to have an excuse to go back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed May 8, 2014

There was a few mistakes when checking in.
We were promised a specific room beforehand by one of the personal assistants (Top floor corner room with view of P&O Canal and Georgetown)
Due to a leak in this room it was not available when checking in and instead we were given a room of a lower category – we had booked a Georgetown room but a Deluxe room was offered instead.
This was apparently a human error but after this was solved their initial suggestion was to move us to the originally booked room the following day when the leak had been fixed.
We did not find this acceptable.
After a little talk they did offer an alternative which was an upgrade to a suite on a lower floor.
The room was very nice. Absolutely fantastic bed!! Very big bathroom.
We were a bit surprised however that there were minor issues with the finishing touches in a hotel as new as this. Eg. uneven floors where corners of the individual floorboards had small chips torn off, total lack of soundproofing of the doors to the hallways.
The hotel prides itself of personalized service, eg. calling guests in advance to ask if there are special wishes regarding the content of the refreshment center. We were not called - only received a rather standard e-mail. Don’t get me wrong – a very high service level was offered by all staff members we encountered but we found in no more personalized that at other high class hotels.
Apart for what were really minor issues we had a very nice stay!
On the overall Capella is a great hotel and we would not hesitate to recommend it and if in Washington DC again we would also stay there again.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Best hotel experience since Mandarin hotel in Bangkok circa 1998. Honest and understated hospitality. There when you need them, not when you don't. Simply the best and can't wait to get back.

I had arrived early on a red eye flight from LA and was warmly welcomed and offered to take my room early, which was a real blessing (thanks Jessica and Angel!)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
NYC
Reviewed April 29, 2014

This was our first time at the Capella and pretty much everything was perfect. The staff was very welcoming and accommodating and we were pleasantly surprised by some of the extra amenities available such as the complimentary beverages in your room and your very own personal assistant. The room decor was absolutely fabulous!

2 Thank AngelBaby13
Moon, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed April 28, 2014

So this hotel is absolutely astounding. My wife and I have 3 small children and have not been able to spend more than a few hours alone in over 2 years. We were finally able to book a child-free anniversary trip this last week and based on photos and hotels we picked the Capella Georgetown room for our 3 night stay. We were contacted a few days prior to our arrival and asked if we had any special needs or if we're celebrating any special occasion. I mentioned our 11th anniversary.
Well, they hooked us up big time. We pulled up to the front entrance and the doorman and staff took expert care of us. We were whisked away to a private check in desk, and escorted to our room. However, it was not the room we booked, we were given a no-charge, monstrous upgrade to the Executive Suite!! This was hands down the nicest hotel room I have ever seen.
The floor has beautiful woodwork, the king sized bed was astoundingly comfortable, it had a second toilet, a sitting area and it was altogether larger than my first apartment. Then there was the master bathroom, which is just a work of art. The stone floors were gorgeous and the rainfall shower fixture felt spectacular. My only complaint is that the beautiful white tub took a little long to fill. The bathroom puts the pictures on the hotel's website to shame, it is so much better in person.
Aside from the greatness of the room, the staff was absolutely terrific. Everyone was beyond friendly and courteous, by the time we left I felt like the doormen were old friends. Simply put I can not say enough nice things about this hotel. Thank you so much to the staff for giving us such a wonderful anniversary. We hope to visit again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I've stayed 3 times over the last couple of months in this latest addition to the Capella chain. I wrote a rave review about their sister hotel in Duesseldorf, Germany. But even if you allow for a bit of a fan bias this is right up there in the top category for city hotels in the US (my top 3: Beverly Wilshire, LA, Four Seasons in Midtown, NYC and the Mandarin Oriental in NYC).
It is located in a beautifully restored brick building in Georgetown. It's quiet, still central enough for all major business destinations in the area and you have all the bars and restaurants of Georgetown on your doorstep.
The rooms are just as luxurious as you would expect once you had a look at the bar and the restaurant located on the ground floor. The overall build quality is more than a notch above what you find in similar hotels in the US.
On my last visit I happened to fall ill. The level of attention and TLC I received from all members of staff was outstanding. I'm planning to come back on a family trip later this year because the hotel hasn't got a complete corporate feel about it (mind you it is pricey but don't be afraid to ask for a competitive rate when booking over the phone).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
NJ
Reviewed April 23, 2014

The individualized service in this hotel is outstanding, and it made me feel like a celebrity or even royalty! The employees remembered my name from day to day, and they went out of their way to make us comfortable in every way. One night, while watching fireworks on the roof, an employee brought up blankets and draped each one of us! The complimentary beverages in the room and the lobby were a nice touch. And the living room for guests only was a treat!
Don't miss this great boutique hotel!