“Finally a hotel that earns the title of luxury”

Rosewood Washington, D.C.
Ranked #94 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Pennsylvania
“Finally a hotel that earns the title of luxury”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Capella is an oasis of luxury within a sea of mediocrity – especially after staying at both of the Ritz properties in DC. From the greeting outside, to the trip to the living room to check in – they make it all seam effortless. The details on the interior are pleasing, comforting and not severe. It is like entering a high end, doorman building in the upper east side. It is very secure and the staff is very attentive to any request. The rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated and yet surprisingly comfortable. At the end of the day, that was an amazing bed to slip into for a completely restful sleep. The details have not been missed – from the amenities in the bathroom, to great towels – fancy and yet understandable high tech lighting controls.

A great example of service is that I had to leave for the airport at 5:45 in the morning. I asked for a cab and they provided me with the hotel’s Mercedes to the airport. Though I don’t think that is a standard service, it is just a good example of how they strive to be the best at what they do. They do try to surprise you with exceptional attention to detail.

This is a hotel that once you try it for the first time, it will be difficult to stay anywhere else in DC.

2 Thank KirkPA
CapellaWashingtonDC, Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Greetings KirkPA,

Thank you so much for choosing Capella Washington, D.C., Georgetown as your new preferred hotel in DC. I am delighted to read that you had such an incredible experience and enjoyed our seamless service, decor and relaxing accommodations. Your feedback is truly appreciated and it gives me great pleasure to read that we were able to assist you with transportation to the airport in our house car. Our entire team is grateful to have had the opportunity to serve you in our Nation's Capital. We are very much looking forward to your return.

Alex Obertop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in a Superior Room. The room was fantastic as are the Deluxe Rooms and Suites.

All rooms come with a refreshment centre which offers chilled soft drinks free of charge, an espresso machines and tea and coffee supplies and two bottles of still water. All this is included in the room rate. A nightly turn-down service is part of the package as well.

But most of all, from the moment you step in the door, you experience incredible service, which is genuine, warm and fantastic. Once a preference is known, the team will ensure that the client gets exactly what they prefer,

I asked for Earl Grey tea on the first day at breakfast and the next day I got it without having to ask again. The selection of teas on arrival was peppermint, chamomile and Earl Grey but after my first breakfast when I had casually mentioned that I don’t like chamomile tea and am very partial to Earl Grey, the selection was miraculously changed to contain no further chamomile tea but an extra supply of Earl Grey. Similarly, all my colleagues received English breakfast tea once the staff realized they were English.

The Grill room restaurant offers fantastic food, cooked to perfection and complemented by lovely wines. The hotel has an infinity pool on the rooftop which offers great views of the city.

The Georgetown area where the hotel is located is an affluent area with lots of shops and restaurants and it used to be the home of JFK’s family before they moved to the White House. The area was designed by a French architect and, probably because of that, has a European feel to it.

Most attractions are a 20-30 minute walk away from the hotel, or a $10-15 cab ride.

I would book my most demanding client into the Capella Washington with full confidence.

1 Thank Paula E
Greetings Paula E,

Thank you so much for giving us the pleasure to graciously and efficiently serve you during your visit to Washington, D.C. Your review and kind remarks regarding our hotel and service team are highly appreciated. I am delighted to read that your stay and experiences were so unique, customized and memorable. Your loyalty to Capella means the world to us and we all are very much looking forward to your return!

Oklahoma
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed at Capella last week, and it was the best hotel experience we've ever had. I know there are more storied hotels in the D.C. area, but we don't regret choosing this one over the others. When we visit again, we will be staying here, no questions asked.

The service is absolutely incredible! Every staff member makes you feel like a welcomed guest, and anything you could possibly need or desire is handled with professionalism and friendliness. The staff really go out of their way to personalize your stay: we got a welcome gift from the chef, a note from our housekeeping staff and a yummy snack every night with turndown service. It's the little things like that that really distinguish this hotel from other luxury hotel experiences I've had.

The decor in the rooms and throughout the hotel is sophisticated and elegant. It's just a beautiful, serene place to be. We adored the design of our room and bathroom, particularly the automated lighting and drapery system. The "living room" downstairs and the bar and private rooftop lounge with incredible views of D.C. were perfection. We found our hotel to be an oasis after a long day of sightseeing or shopping.

Location, location, location! Capella is just one block off the main artery of M Street in Georgetown on the banks of the C&O canal. It's a charming area, convenient for access to the best shopping in the city as well as sightseeing. There's plenty of great dining in the area, and it's perfect for an evening walk or picturesque run in the morning.

I can't recommend this hotel enough. Out of 5 stars, Capella was a 6. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the canal.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShantillyR
CapellaWashingtonDC, Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Greetings sterry4,

A tremendous thank you from all of us here at Capella DC to you and your husband for this remarkable review on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to read that you loved every aspect of your stay, from the world-class service, sophisticated accommodations, personalized amenities, and wonderful location. We highly appreciate your patronage and feel honored to be considered as the best hotel in Washington, DC and not 5, but 6 stars! I can assure you that upon your return, you can look forward to receiving that warm, caring and genuine service and relaxing home away from home feeling at Capella Washington, DC each and every time. I wish you both a wonderful season ahead.

WashingtonDC
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Some friends and I went to Rye Bar before seeing a movie at the Georgetown theater, and overall I felt that while the decor and location is great, it definitely needs to work on service.

This is a hotel bar, so I think it really has to do itself up in order to get locals to ever come here. The inside is plush and luxurious, with big couches and a very intimate setting. The outside, where we did not actually sit, is right along the Canal and would be great for a nice drink during any season except winter.

But looks can be deceiving, and the service was just not up to par. I think there was only one waitress for the entire inside section, but she was naturally overwhelmed. We sat for a good 10 or 15 minutes without even a menu, which is not acceptable. I grabbed a menu from an adjacent table, and we shared it among the party of four. Then the waitress comes over to tell us about Rye Bar's drink specials, but we already decided on what we wanted to get without her input. What is the point of a waitress in the first place? So two of us order craft cocktails and the only girl in the group orders a vodka soda – imagine our surprise when the waitress brings out our cocktails and leaves the girl with nothing for a good 10 minutes. Then the waitress says that the bartender was busy and couldn't make a vodka soda, but that makes absolutely no sense. To make the drinks that we were served, you had to zest lines and do all this other involved stuff that is much more complicated and literally putting vodka and seltzer in a cup full of ice.

We decided to order the charcuterie board to have a light snack, but when one of the runners came out to serve it, we asked her which meat was which, ...she tried to make things up, but after about one or two meats, she feigned ignorance and said that she would go back to ask and then come back. Then about five minutes later, the waitress comes over and asks everything is okay, and we ask her to explain the meats, ...but she didn't know all them either. At the end of the day, neither of them ever told us the meats that we were eating. For the runner to not even bother to come back after she said she would is really annoying.

Anyway, we hightailed it out of Rye Bar because the service was way too slow. The waitress naturally comped the vodka soda, and for good reason. Since my experience was so dependent on a certain server, I don't think that's enough to not recommend going to Rye Bar, since service can be hit or miss depending on the day. The inside decor and location is great, but it definitely has to work on service issues if it wants to be a go-to hang out for locals.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings jg325,

Thank you so much for your sincere feedback regarding your most recent visit. I am delighted to read that you enjoy our properties luxurious decor and location; however, I am terribly disappointed to learn that the rest of your experience fell far below your expectations.

I regret to learn about the series of inconveniences you encountered throughout your visit, especially with regards to The Rye Bar service, the lack of food knowledge, inefficiency with cocktail orders, and the various annoyances that occurred during your visit. All of your concerns have been thoroughly noted and immediate action will be taking place. I am terribly sorry that these valuable lessons have come at your expense.

I would like the opportunity to personally apologize to you and discuss what we can do to amend our mistakes and have you visit with us again. I can be contacted at will.rentschler@capellahotels.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (202) 617-2422.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you and our locals in Georgetown and Washington, DC.

Will Rentschler
Food & Beverage Manager
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Its very hard to find a hotel that combines great personal service that has a great location and has fantastic design well, here you find it all. If you have to come to dc picking this hotel is a no-brainer.
The moment I entered I was welcomed by the personal assistant in a seperate office which gave a nice personal touch. My room wasn`t ready yet so i got a personal tour around the hotel, the first thing you see is that this hotel is built with a great eye for detail. The pool is probabely the most amazing pool is DC and the rooftop bar is absolutely astonishing and very private.
I got a nice surprise and my room was upgraded for free to a suite.
My first impression of the room WOW. FABULOUS. There is a nice illy coffee machine, a fantastic living room and the bedroom is Epic. My bed was covered with roses and there were flowers everywhere. The disgn was will tought off because there were a lot of electrical outlets etc.
The bathroom is superb and there was even a little dressing room.
I have been treated with complementary drinks etc. A 2 nightg stay felt as a holiday of a week
Capella gives you the feeling you are living at home far away from home.
The staff is remarcabely well trained, special thanks to Bert, Donovan, Angel and the blond personal assistant girl.
EPIC experience

Room Tip: The suite is astonishing
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Emmanuel V
CapellaWashingtonDC, Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Good Afternoon Emmanuel V,

I want to thank you so much for your recent review of Capella Washington, D.C., Georgetown on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to read that you felt our hotel was so fabulous and unique. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful experience getting to know our staff, taking in each and every design element, and exploring all the exclusive accommodations. It is an honor to read that staying with us gave you the feeling of a home far away from home. I wish you a wonderful season ahead and hope you can visit with us again very soon.

Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Lovely outdoor dining
Complimentary Wi-Fi
Service driven staff that doesn't feel "service driven."
Truly a special and welcoming feeling as if an honored guest
Amazing bathroom amenities
Refreshments in-room are complimentary
HD Direct-TV
Clean, cozy, and quiet
Open since March, Capella Washington DC is a gem in Georgetown.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Good Afternoon ClenglandTravel,

Thank you for posting this lovely review of your recent stay at our Capella Hotel in Georgetown. I am delighted to read that you had such an incredible experience and enjoyed our service team and welcoming accommodations. We are very much looking forward to your return, hopefully in the near future.

Best Regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2013

For the exclusive traveler, you will have a delightful experience inside the walls of the Capella Washington DC. From the moment I crossed the threshold until I stuck my last leg into a cab back to the airport, the service level was remarkable! The entire staff's focus was on every guest at every minute, and you immediately felt that you were among family, friends and favorite folks- The Rye bar is adjacent to the secured check in area- a clever arrangement, where the general public may enter freely for a cocktail or dinner- but is completely restricted from entering the guests residential facility. Guestrooms were extraordinary - Spacious Marble bathroom and tinted glass shower and stall doors. Rich Deep Wood appointments and shiny new stuff across the whole room. Very modern and ultra stylish décor. Super plush King sized bed, Entertainment powered by Direct TV with all the bells and whistles. Control console by the bed powers all lighting and even the floor to ceiling drapes. This property was NICE. Secured living area in the lobby as well as the Penthouse offers complimentary continental breakfast, with super plump fruits with juices bursting out of the pores. Rooftop infinity pool nice, but a bit small to get your splash on - 3 feet depth across the entire circumference. Fitness center scores low only because its small and nothing more - but they do offer guests the option of a nearby full scale facility that is top rated in the Georgetown area. So for the discerning traveler of the "Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton" culture that's looking to hit the "Refresh" button in D.C. the Capella needs to show off for you! and steal your heart! It's a "Shiny" Dime Well Spent! And the service level is worth repeating because it is far and away the BEST service I've ever seen anywhere - Ever.

Room Tip: Where the building is situated there are no good views - But if you are able to confirm a Deluxe K...
2 Thank DERRICK M
CapellaWashingtonDC, Manager at Rosewood Washington, D.C., responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Greetings DERRICK M,

Thank you so very much for your incredible review of our Capella Hotel in Georgetown. Your gracious review touched on so many of our exclusive accommodations and services that I am so glad you were able to experience during your stay. What incredible news to hear that you felt our service team treated you as family. This is exactly the type of traits we like to practice when training our employees. I am delighted to read that you felt so comfortable in your guest room and truly enjoyed the luxurious environments throughout the hotel. Thank you for your kind referral and sharing with travelers coming to Washington, D.C. that we are unique, fresh and provide the best service in the city. I wish you a wonderful fall season ahead and when your travels next bring you to our Nation's Capital, I certainly look forward to your return. It has been an absolute pleasure.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Georgetown
The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington, D.C.
Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Four Seasons Hotel Washington, DC
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
#1 of 14 in Tysons Corner
Dupont Circle
The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
#24 of 141 in Washington DC
Dupont Circle
The Jefferson, Washington DC
The Jefferson, Washington DC
#5 of 141 in Washington DC

Been to Rosewood Washington, D.C.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Rosewood Washington, D.C.

Property: Rosewood Washington, D.C.
Address: 1050 31st St NW, Washington DC, DC 20007-4405 (Formerly Capella Washington D.C., Georgetown)
Location: United States > District of Columbia > Washington DC > Georgetown
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool
Ranked #94 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$$
Hotel Class:5 star — Rosewood Washington, D.C. 5*
Situated in the heart of Georgetown along the historic C&O Canal, Rosewood Washington, D.C. presents an intimate & luxurious 49 guest rooms & suites, meticulously designed to provide you with a soothing haven from the day's activities. Our prime location offers guests premium access to Washington, D.C.'s vibrant cultural center, rich with museums and galleries, specialty shopping and unique dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rosewood Washington, D.C. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.