“Very Good Indian Food”
Review of Rasika West End

Rasika West End
Reserve with OpenTable
Rasika West End is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 3,257 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: New Hampshire & M Street
Ottawa, Canada
“Very Good Indian Food”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I really enjoyed this restaurant and would gladly return. We had high expectations and they were almost entirely met. A few things that could use improvement: we had a reservation and still had to wait approximately 15 minutes to be seated, which is not horrible, but was also not the best start to the meal; and one of the signature cocktails we ordered was just awful - so much so that we had to send it back. Other than that, we enjoyed everything. We ordered lots of different dishes and they were all delicious. Our service was very efficient, and our waiter was able to make some good recommendations.

If you are looking for good Indian food, this is a great choice. It is almost as good as Vij's in Vancouver. Almost!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank awj_parker

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nouveau Indian--light and fresh”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just marvellous food. This is a new twist on Indian cuisine: you get the Naan and the poppadums, etc., but the small plates and the main courses are a long way from the meat swimming in standard curry sauce that I grew up on in England. The cooking is imaginative, and the service highly professional. It's definitely worth the price.

1 Thank JeannieFrew
San Francisco, California
“Even Better Than Expected”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This place carries a lot of hype in DC, but it surpassed my expectations. Everything was delicious! The Palak chaat (crispy baby spinach) sounds unimpressive, but it is one of the best appetizers I've ever had. I even asked the waiter how it's made to see if it's possible to re-create the dish...sadly, it is not.

The ambiance is also quite nice, and the waitstaff was very friendly.

The only con is that it could take months to get a reservation.

1 Thank smh33
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“It's Destination Dinning - Eat and Call it a Day.”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Generous Portions of Service and Food.

Rasika
1190 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, DC ( at the corner of M Street NW- between the Renaissance Hotel and the Ritz Carlton)

The first thing you'll notice when you arrive is the noise level in the main seating area. Is it the high ceilings ? Maybe. Is it that generally speaking, people don't talk when their mouths are full of food? That's my guess because the noise level is very low. What about the service and food? There's no need to worry, you'll receive generous portions of service and food.

Regardless of what catches your eye on the menu or the server suggest, try the Masala Fish Fingers appetizer
(Cod, chili flakes with curried mayonnaise) and the Dal Dhungaree, served as a side or entree
(Smoked lentils, garlic, tomatoes and fenugreek).

Please note, the Bread Basket
(Naan, onion sage naan, mint paratha) - it's the dessert alternative.

Espoo, Finland
“Nice upscale Indian....but did I expect too much?”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

People raved about the Rasika restaurants in Tripadvisor so we decided to give a try. We couldn't get a reservation to the main one so tested this one by the Washington Circle.

The place is definitely good from many perspectives. The interior is very modern, the service was friendly, and the food was as carefully made, tasty (globalized) Indian as it gets.

Still I walked out slightly unsure whether I got great value.

The problem might have been that we opted for the pre-Theater menu (because of our early reservation time) and that was somewhat unimaginative (though very good) and served too fast (even by Asian standards). I wonder if the a la carte would have offered better choices.

The alternative explanation is that I am spoiled because I have spent so much time in other global metropolies such as London, where such upscale Indian restaurants may be less unique (and hence less raved about).

Having said all this, If I were in DC again, I definitively might go again (though try the a la carte that time)