“excellent Indian food; not as good as flagship”
Review of Rasika West End

Rasika West End
Reserve with OpenTable
Rasika West End is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 3,228 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: New Hampshire & M Street
Ellicott City, Maryland
“excellent Indian food; not as good as flagship”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My second meal at Rasika, the first being at the flagship restaurant in the Penn quarter. Intriguing, elegant design in the bar -- intimate tables in the restaurant. While excellent, the food was a notch down from the main shop. The crispy spinach was served at room temperature, clearly sitting for a while -- it was served hot the first time I had it. When asked initially, the wait staff responded that it was never served hot. To the credit of their otherwise stellar service, they removed it from the check. The bartender was attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable.

• Visited December 2012

Ashburn, VA
“Good Food! Pretentious atmosphere”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Very good Indian food! We ordered 9 appetizers between me and my wife, rather than ordering entrees. That way, we got a good sampler of the various flavors available. From the Honey Ginger Scallops to Nimboo Sword Fish to the Avocado Banana Chaat to to the Palak Chaat (crispy spinach) and others. All were all well prepared and presented. The service was cordial, however, I felt insulted by the table we were given. We had a late lunch on a weekday and when we arrived the restaurant was relatively empty. The MaitreD asked us if we had reservations which we didn't, and upon what appeared a visual examination of us, he assigned us the worst possible table. I had taken the day off and was we were dressed very casual, but that is no excuse to be treated as second class citizens. We asked our waitress to give us another table, as so many were empty, and she did. I was prepared to leave the place if she hadn't. The MaitreD was snobby at best. I guess he prefers the K Street business account customers. My wife and I spent well over $100 for lunch, as I had taken the day off to celebrate my birthday. I love Rasika, but you pay a premium for the reputation and favorable reviews. There has to be equal or better Indian food closer to home, and I am researching alternatives for next time I am in the mood for it.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank JRfromDC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Didn't live up to its reputation”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I'd heard so many excellent things about Rasika but ultimately I wasn't impressed. While the presentation and originality of the dishes was right on, I just didn't enjoy the tastes all that much. The dishes were all very heavy despite some of them being inspired by southern Indian cuisine. This restaurant isn't terrible but wasn't incredible either. The service was very good and the atmosphere was also pleasant.

• Visited December 2012
“Best Indian Restaurant in DC”
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Rasika is still the champ! And not only the best food in DC, but this place can rival anywhere in the world for best Indian food.
Every dish is spectacular, with an exceptional blending of spices, quality ingredients, and presentation. I prefer to go for several small dishes, with an entree or two for a small group if us. We had the palak (spinach) chaat, apparently a staple at Rasika. Wow! The minced chicken kabobs were outstanding, the tandoori salmon was perfectly cooked (ok, not as bold as other menu items), and the vegetable korma was so good we ordered a second. If you like it spicy, as I do, try the lamb shank, but keep the naan, rice, or Kingfisher handy because it is hot! Yes!!
Atmosphere is trendy, and you'll likely want a reservation. Service is friendly and attentive without being intrusive. I like it that way.

Reston, Virginia
“Food Worthy”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The major plus for Rasika is the wonderful food. We had a Rasika cocktail and tried several dishes. All were delicious. The cod entree was very nice. Desserts were also tasty and filling. The atmosphere is a bit busy and loud. It seems like a popular place even on a week night.

• Visited November 2012