“A Really Pleasant Surprise”
Review of Le Grenier

Le Grenier
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Grenier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #391 of 3,257 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 5th St. NE
Transit: Union Station Metro Station (Red)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Really Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had read a few negative reviews on moth (moms on the hill) recently, but decided to give Le Grenier a shot after hearing some contrary reviews (also on moth). I'm so glad we tried it out because we had a really excellent evening.

The space is really charming and romantic. The staff were great. Our waitress was very relaxed and never made us feel rushed at all -- she gave great recommendation and was perfectly pleasant. When the wine we ordered was out of stock, the manager came out with another bottle and insisted we try it and tell him if it was a suitable substitution and if not he'd take it right back and find something else. The wine was great and I appreciated that he waited for us to try the wine -- not just to make sure it was ok, but to make sure it was perfect.

I had the marmite de normandie that was fantastic and a crepe for dessert that was delicious. It's not a place I'd bring my young kids, but I definitely look forward to going back with my husband on a date-night.

• Visited June 2013

Paso Robles, California
“Tres Bon”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

DC has its share of excellent French bistros and Le Grenier is another entry on this list. We were happy we'd made a reservation for 7pm Friday- we were seated immediately, even though the place was jammed. There was never an empty table for more than a few minutes after that.

Our party of 4 ordered an array of dishes according to taste- all of which were very good. My wife's hanger steak frites was the best she'd ever had; my "three little pigs" pork medallions were outstanding; the Marmite Normande shellfish pot was delicious and the chicken breast got raves. We enjoyed a quirky/good little bottle of Cotes du Rhone and finished with a couple of desserts- both of which disappeared quickly- the caramel crepe with salt caramel ice cream was a real treat.

The casual funky interior and the etched antique wine glasses make for an interesting homey ambiance. Our young waiter was expert, efficient and perfectly French. We all enjoyed the experience and will definitely return again. High marks for Le Grenier.

• Visited May 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Top notch meal in grand-mère's attic”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Small party of six, mostly architects, celebrating an anniversary with a late evening meal on a Wednesday. Arrived a bit late but it wasn't crowded and our table was ready for us upstairs. Well, it was adorable. Table is set with grandmother's best crystal wine glasses. This is not a cookie-cutter bistro. Waiter is French, a bit hard to understand (I took Spanish in high school so my ear is untutored) but always there when needed and not pushy. Tiny water glasses (sort of double shot size) are kept filled. Wine was half-price (who knows?) and the menu looked like what I've seen in Paris. I had the baked pear followed by the Marmite Normande and a bit too much of the excellent wine my husband ordered. Didn't stop me from ordering the strawberry crèpes for dessert. Hey, it is strawberry season! Everyone at the table loved Le Grenier and they are all more seasoned than me when it comes to travel and good food. Prices were excellent.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect ambiance!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We had a perfect evening. The service was friendly & professional. All of us had different meals and they were all delicious!

Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
“A small French Gem”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Another addition to the "H Street" resturant scene is Le Grenier. Small, relatively quiet, and very good service. Our entres were delicious and the owner stopped by to aks us how everything was going. We enjoyed our meal and our conversations with fellow diners. We will go back again.