“Small portions (not tapas)”

El Chucho - Cocina Superior
Ranked #818 of 3,283 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Heard great things about this and admit we were underwhelmed. Beer was warm, portions small, and they weren't tapas or appetizers. Food was just okay, corn on the cob, highly touted, just meh without a lot of flavor. Maybe they were having a bad night?

There are newer reviews for El Chucho - Cocina Superior

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This place has the best Avocado dip around. The prices are within reason also. We sat at the bar which worked out just fine since we would have to wait 45 minutes to get a table. It was very noisy so carrying on a conversation was next to impossible.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I was really ready to hate the place on the 11th St NW "restaurant row". It looked like a typical Mexican place that was anything BUT Mexican. The food was excellent however and the organic margarita was really good as well. For food, the place gets high marks.

Service was not that good... our waitress was clueless about someone trying to order gluten-free and, sorry, these days that is fairly common. We ordered and had to order ADDITIONAL food because of her lack of knowledge of the food.

My drink was taken away from me before I was finished.

The interior is nothing to rave about -- it is noisy and non descript.

However.... food food food. We had the fried zucchini tacos, pork tacos, and fried cheese with mole sauce. All were absolutely delish. Even the chips and salsa were good (although a small portion and we had to pay for it!) I think with a little more attention to service this could be a GREAT place. I'll definitely go back -- but probably just for drinks and a snack to avoid disappointment in service.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The best thing at this restaurant is the grilled "street style" mexican corn. I could easily have two pieces of the corn and a margarita and be happy to call it supper. The restaurant is larger than it looks with upstairs and outdoor space. It is a noisy, happy, casual atmosphere. I think the tacos are "ok" they suffer from we call the "small plate syndrome" where you get a very small serving at not a particularly small price. Also, a couple of tacos we have ordered over a couple visits are never really available. Go for the roasted corn and the cocktail.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

It's a funny place with very good food. It is usually crowded and noisy, but in a good way. You should try the ginger margarita! Delicious!