“OK, but not outstanding”
Review of Legal Sea Foods

Legal Sea Foods
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 3,342 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: G Street, N.W.
Description: The signature dish at Legal Sea Foods – really fresh fish. Legal Sea Foods has long proven that a consistent, high quality dining experience never goes out of style. With over 40 varieties of fresh fish and shellfish available throughout the year as well as an award-winning wine list, there’s no doubt why legions of fans have fallen hook, line and sinker. A bipartisan favorite, we have occupied the nation’s capital since 1995, anchored across from the Verizon Center and around the corner from the International Spy Museum, National Portrait Gallery and Chinatown. Make waves at our racetrack-shaped bar or sup on seafood underneath the hull-like ceiling in our restaurant’s main dining room. Either way, be presidential and order a cup of our New England Clam Chowder; it’s been served at every Inauguration since 1981. Other accolades include “Best Place for Great Seafood” (Washingtonian Magazine, 2008) and “Best Crab Cakes” (Washingtonian Magazine, 2008)
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The service was indifferent, but the food was comparable to that at other Legal restaurants. The fried seafood was tasty and greaseless. The chowder was, as usual, good. The bar area is charming and offers a pleasant view of bustling downtown Washington. The location is quite convenient to the Metro.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We've been to three different states with Legal Sea Foods restaurants. All have been great, positive experiences.

When we visited this location it felt wrong from the moment we entered the door. It didn't have the warm, friendly vibe we're used to. We were promptly seated next to others enjoying their meal. However, it would be almost 8 minutes before our waitress acknowledged us. The place was not packed, not even really busy - around 5pm on a Friday.

The waitress came and asked if we were ready to order. We had questions about the menu. She wasn't friendly in answering our questions - as if a bother/irritant to her. In discussing a specific item not on the menu (that we had the week prior at another location), she was quite assertive that she knew best and our thoughts were wrong.

We ordered iced teas, appetizers and entrees. A party of 4 were THEN seated at a table next to us and were promptly serviced by another waiter. Drinks & appetizers were on their table before ours.

When the appetizers came out, my companion mentioned how our talented chef friend enjoyed the Bang Cauliflower last week and was going to try making it at home sometime, using such and such ingredients. She was quick to point out that it's quite simple and that we don't use those ingredients, you use blah.

Still no iced teas. When pointed out, she brought them - no acknowledgement.

We had the appetizers for about 5 minutes before our entrees come out. small table for two - not a lot of room for all of the dishes. No acknowledgement of the conundrum, just "move this, that - there. All set?"

"May I have a refill please ma'am?"
Not sure why, but refills were hard to get - for iced tea.

Food wise - it was as memorable as a Red Lobster meal. Nothing bad, just not great.
At a different location the week prior - the food was hot, fresh, presented well, and tasty. Here it wasn't as much.

We didn't see our waitress much during the whole visit, until it was time to pay. By then I was seriously ready for more iced tea. I think she refilled my glass twice in the short span presenting the check and processing my credit card.

We spent $81 for two people (before tax/tip).

It's not often that I leave a restaurant thinking of how I could have better spent that money.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We have gone to this Legal Sea Foods every Christmas night for the last 7 years. The was the worst visit ever. The restaurant was packed. Guests were stuffed in to tables and the wait staff kept bumping into each other. The maitre d' had it running relatively well but the kitchen was extremely slow. Our waitress was not ready for a busy night. She was busy with other tables. Some of her tables were seated after us and received their meals before us. We were ignored.

At the end of the meal she presented the check. It was about twice what I expected. It turned out our waitress combined our check with another table's check. Ooops. This took about 15 minutes to fix. Round 2: There were still items on the check that we had not ordered. Double ooops. The maire d' was apologetic. I was not with my tip.

We will go somewhere else next year for Christmas dinner. What a disappointment.

1  Thank Vulturecap
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We were in DC to see the city all decked out for Christmas and we stopped at Legal Seafood's for lunch My companions had the Crabmeat Roll, Anna’s Baked Boston Scrod and I had a new special called Red Snapper and Shrimp Enchiladas with Red Bean Sauce topped with Cojita Cheese and a side of Brown Rice. The crabmeat roll and fries were delicious as was the scrod and the Rep snapper dish was surprisingly delicious packed with heat. We even had Three Bon Bons for dessert. The only complaint I have is that the service was a little too slow.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I always try to eat at Legal Sea Foods when in the Northeast and the service was some of the friendliest I've ever experienced, so kudos to the waitstaff for making a great dinner excellent. I ate clam chowder, which is always delicious, and grilled swordfish with jasmine rice and steamed kale. The steamed kale is a premium side and worth every penny of the extra $1.50 to order it. Fluffy (a weird word to use for greens, but true!) and flavorful with a yogurt sauce on top, plus full of green leafy vitamins goodness! Sadly, I had no room left to try the pumpkin cheesecake.