“Amazing Eritrean food! Best in D.C.”
Review of Keren Restaurant

Keren Restaurant
Ranked #128 of 3,257 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This is one of DC's many Eritrean restaurants, but it tends to be overlooked by the better publicized and established Ethiopian community in the city. It's a small place, but offers a fantastic dishes, coffee, and service. There is no review on TripAdvisor for this restaurant (there is one on Yelp!).
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Amazing Eritrean food! Best in D.C.”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

So from the outside, it looks a bit rundown, but don't let that fool you! The food is amazing! I get the #1 special Tibsi, which is a stir fry of your type of meat with a tomatoe sauce and red peppers, I could eat this every day. I also get the #2 Veggie Combo, which has lentils, spinach, salad, potatoes, cabbage and is filling. They have Fuul which is a traditional fava bean dish served with tomatoes and yogurt, also outstanding! I could eat here every day and I do! The price is unreal especially for D.C. CHeck this place out!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Sherry B

Portland, Oregon
“Delicious”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I loved this meal, I got the veggie combo and each element was perfectly prepared and seasoned. The waitstaff moreover was very nice and I felt comfortable eating here solo. Highly recommended!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank PdxTraveller994
“Authentic Ethiopian food”
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Great and cheap authentic food. Real coffee. Nice atmosphere. This place has great reviews on Yelp. It needs to be more popular on Trip Advisor!

2 Thank Julia Z
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Very good and very reasonably priced”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The menu confused me at first - diner food and dishes described without using Ethiopian names, but have no fear. The food was excellent. The vegetarian and meat (we had tibs, shiro, and several wat) was very tasty and the overall cost for two, with a Harar beer, was under $30.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Eddie S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,089 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,520 helpful votes
“Delicious and very cheap”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

This was the second time that I tasted Eritrean food, first time it was in Ottawa but I didn't enjoy it because it was very spicy. This not so good experience kept me away from Eritrean food for a while and I was very reluctant in give it another try. Thankfully I came to Keren. The food is delicious, the place was recently renovated and it looks much better than in previous pics and the staff is really attentive and helpful.
We had a big plate for share (3 people): vegetarian and meat. It comes with some "flat bread" which you use to take the food. We couldn't manage to finish it. 4 people could share it easily. We paid $9/pp including tax and tip. Very cheap.
I will return for brunch.

Visited September 2013