“History about White House and Lafayette Square with a supernatural twist”

Washington DC Ghost Tours
Ranked #55 of 149 Tours in Washington DC
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I signed up for the ghost tour on a Sunday evening in November. It was perfect weather to walk around Lafayette Square on a dark fall night. Our guide, Janie, was friendly and informative but she seemed new to the stories that she told. She also brought along her brother and another friend that she could have left out. We enjoyed learning about the area, especially buildings that we walked by every day. The tour was about an hour or so. Probably not good for young ones who will lose interest in the history.

1  Thank Debora T

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Our guide , Janie, was very informative and a lot of fun. I was expecting more ghost stories than history, but it was a good mix, and I learned a lot about Lafayette Park, which is very close to my office.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I'm a big fan of ghost tours and was looking forward to this one. Our Guide Shereen (spelling?) was an excellent storyteller. She was friendly, animated and genuinely interested in her job. That was the best part of the tour, otherwise I was disappointed. The tour only took you around the small park across the street from the white house and did not cover much ground. The guide told us in the beginning that all the stories she'd be telling were researched and had credible sources, but many of the "hauntings" weren't that impressive. For example, a house that no longer stands, where nobody died, sucks the life from people who walk by. How do you research and confirm that? It was more storytelling about history than ghosts and hauntings. One thing I encountered in DC is that the stories change from source to source, which I can understand, but it was hard to get into the guide's stories when I heard something completely different from someone else the day before. I struggled to stay interested in the stories, but only because of the content, as our guide was excellent. Overall I would not do this tour again, I'd use the money I paid to buy a book and walk around and see the sights myself.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We went with two adults a 17 year old and an 8 year old and we all enjoyed the walk. The entire tour takes place close to the whitehouse and the area is crowded, but pleasant. Even though I am an avid history buff I learned several new facts. We had a great time on a pleasant evening.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

My kids are ghost-crazy pre-teens. (I suppose that there are worse things, but I can't think of anything right now.) They love the ghost-hunter-type tv shows and anything macabre, ghastly, or creepy. So, on a recent family visit to DC, when they discovered that the city had a ghost tour located near the White House, they badgered us until we relented and bought tickets for a night stroll with a costumed guide.

After a long day of sightseeing, we arrived at the meeting area tired and grumpy. Even the kids, who had lobbied so hard for this tour, were dragging. It was not a good start.

Luckily, our guide, Mike, was up to the task. For the next two hours he regaled us with true stories of murder, suicide, insanity, and fatal diseases—events that supposedly caused the hauntings of Lafayette Square. He even acted out a few of the bloodier events, using audience members as co-stars. He was funny, very personable, and extremely knowledgeable. And, he was very patient when answering the MANY questions my kids had.

The kids got some great pictures of "orbs", and other people in the group captured some eerie-looking shadowy stuff, included some creepy yellow "eyes" in a window. Paranormal activity? Ghosts? I think not...but the kids were fascinated, the stories were interesting, and the presentation was top-notch. Highly recommended for families with 'tweens; I'm not sure it's appropriate for kids younger than 8.

1  Thank VeritasOntheRoad