“Not Very Scary”

Washington DC Ghost Tours
Ranked #56 of 147 Tours in Washington DC
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I'm a big fan of ghost tours and was looking forward to this one. Our Guide Shereen (spelling?) was an excellent storyteller. She was friendly, animated and genuinely interested in her job. That was the best part of the tour, otherwise I was disappointed. The tour only took you around the small park across the street from the white house and did not cover much ground. The guide told us in the beginning that all the stories she'd be telling were researched and had credible sources, but many of the "hauntings" weren't that impressive. For example, a house that no longer stands, where nobody died, sucks the life from people who walk by. How do you research and confirm that? It was more storytelling about history than ghosts and hauntings. One thing I encountered in DC is that the stories change from source to source, which I can understand, but it was hard to get into the guide's stories when I heard something completely different from someone else the day before. I struggled to stay interested in the stories, but only because of the content, as our guide was excellent. Overall I would not do this tour again, I'd use the money I paid to buy a book and walk around and see the sights myself.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We went with two adults a 17 year old and an 8 year old and we all enjoyed the walk. The entire tour takes place close to the whitehouse and the area is crowded, but pleasant. Even though I am an avid history buff I learned several new facts. We had a great time on a pleasant evening.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

My kids are ghost-crazy pre-teens. (I suppose that there are worse things, but I can't think of anything right now.) They love the ghost-hunter-type tv shows and anything macabre, ghastly, or creepy. So, on a recent family visit to DC, when they discovered that the city had a ghost tour located near the White House, they badgered us until we relented and bought tickets for a night stroll with a costumed guide.

After a long day of sightseeing, we arrived at the meeting area tired and grumpy. Even the kids, who had lobbied so hard for this tour, were dragging. It was not a good start.

Luckily, our guide, Mike, was up to the task. For the next two hours he regaled us with true stories of murder, suicide, insanity, and fatal diseases—events that supposedly caused the hauntings of Lafayette Square. He even acted out a few of the bloodier events, using audience members as co-stars. He was funny, very personable, and extremely knowledgeable. And, he was very patient when answering the MANY questions my kids had.

The kids got some great pictures of "orbs", and other people in the group captured some eerie-looking shadowy stuff, included some creepy yellow "eyes" in a window. Paranormal activity? Ghosts? I think not...but the kids were fascinated, the stories were interesting, and the presentation was top-notch. Highly recommended for families with 'tweens; I'm not sure it's appropriate for kids younger than 8.

1  Thank VeritasOntheRoad
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Even though the ghost tour was not what I was expecting, I still thoroughly enjoyed it and found it extremely informative. I was under the impression that we would tour the area and possibly enter a haunted home. The actual tour is a walk around Lafayette Square with a few long stops during which the tour guide relates stories from long ago always ending in the death of one or people who haunt the area or the home. The stories are all based in historical fact. The guide is extremely funny and talented. However, the historical nature of the stories, the subtle humor, and the long stops make this not so suitable for small children, especially considering the late hour. If you should decide to take the tour, which I recommend, I advise your bring a folding chair if you cannot stand for long periods or have trouble sitting on curbs.

3  Thank o517375
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We decided to take this tour at the last minute and I am so very glad we did. It is a walking tour but it isn't an excessive amount. There is usually places to sit down at each section of the tour which also helps especially if you have already been walking all day. Our tour guide, Chad, was very entertaining and combined the right amount of funny and drama and kid friendly fun all in one. I would go on any tour he was leading! Very good way to get a little ghost info, and history, and site seeing all in one.

2  Thank Tamara-LLTS