“More on a Great Deli”
Review of Stachowski Market

Stachowski Market
Ranked #341 of 3,383 Restaurants in Washington DC
Description: This family-owned market just opened in Georgetown as a delicatessen and corner market. The father and son team cut all the fresh meat for the store, and create artisan sausages, pates, and proscuittos themselves. Best sandwiches in Georgetown!
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Since my first visit in the Spring, I have returned 3 more times. My 1st trip back I got the 4 Meat Grinder - WOW! What a sub - a great roll, crusty and soft and large, but it barely contains all of the meat and cheese, all mouth watering. The house vinaigrette was very good. Normally I would want mayo on my sub, but I did not dare question their pre-ordained arrangement - DELICIOUS. Very large and very filling, though lighter than the pastrami, which I struggle to finish. My 2nd trip back I shared a pastrami with a friend - Again it was delicious (see previous post for a full accounting of the pastrami.) We also split a White Hot (a weisswurst sausage - this was very good as well.) My 3rd trip back was the other day and I had the Turkey Club. This is also very good. A lot of turkey, delicious bread, three levels, avocado and sprouts - a nice change. A very good sandwich - not as filling as the pastrami or 4 meat grinder, as I did eat dinner later that evening. I would recommend not going right at lunch. I arrived at 11:30am on a Monday (Columbus Day) and the other trips just random weekdays. My experience at 11:30am is that I get my order in and then the rush comes. The sandwich can take 5 to 10 minutes to make, and possibly longer with a crowd, but worth the wait.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Residents of the neighborhood have been waiting a long time for a place like this to open up. This is the kind of variety that one might find in Europe and South America. It is always fresh, tons of choices and all top notch. People who do not appreciate this unique establishment are those who confuse it with a sandwhich shop and probably have little experience of the world outside of the Beltway.

2  Thank PsymonJacobsen
Reviewed August 6, 2013

After being voted as DC's best place for a pastrami sandwich, I've had this on my 'to do' list for most of the summer. All of the reviews I've read did not do it justice. This is a very small family-owned neighborhood butcher shop that also happens to sell (takeout) sandwiches, nightly dinner specials, cut-to-order meats, condiments, desserts, breads and some fresh veggies. Quaint. Neat. Super Clean. Friendly service. Once you order, this is no 'fast food' place. These artisans will artfully fulfill your order while your browse. The pastrami sandwich is....AMAZING. Clearly, a 2-person sandwich...it is HUGE. Thick sliced pieces of meat. Absolutely no fat. On pumpernickel with a smear of mustard. If I don't get any more pastrami this year, I'm happy and quite satisfied. I have had the best I could ever ask for. And, I just saved myself a trip to NYC to go to Katz's Deli.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The sandwiches at Stachowski's are enormous, big enough to feed a small family. There's a selection of a dozen or so sandwiches, and it's hard to go wrong with any of them. I prefer the grinder, the braunschweiger, the pastrami...you get the picture. Mainly take-away, although there is one small table.

It would be a mistake, however, to characterize Stachowski's as simply a sandwich shop. I'm always drawn to the butcher case on the right side of the store. That's where you'll find a constantly rotating selection of cured meats and sausages, most, if not all, of which are made in house. Try the red hots.

Service is friendly and efficient. It may take a few minutes to get your sandwich, but that's because everything is made to order. It's worth the wait.

1  Thank FmrPresJamesTaylor
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My first terrible review on tripadvisor and here's why. First, this is a local TAKEOUT deli serving the neighborhood and not for your typical tourist on foot. It's a long 5 block walk uphill from M Street and when you get there, you'll find 1 table with 3 chairs for customers waiting for their takeout orders. No other seating, no standup counter or patio. You are directed to a park 2 blocks away where you can find a bench to eat. The guy at the counter was more interested in the TV crew doing a shoot and gave the 4 of us rude service. Second, the bun and mustard had the flavor. The kielbasa had none. I was shocked and I know my deli meats. I learned to really appreciate my local deli after this one. Stick with the eateries on M Street and Wisconsin Ave. who cater to tourists. You'll appreciate your Georgetown visit more.

2  Thank AverageTraveller24