“friendly owner, spacious room”

Capital Comfort Hostel
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed in the 14 bed dorm and after reading reviews I was expecting a very bad experience. It was nowhere near bad!
The room was very spacious and almost like two separate rooms so it wasnt 14 people cramped in a room. There was plenty of room for our bags and belongings.
The 14 bed room is a few minutes walk from the main building but thats no drama. The owner walked us over and explained local eating and shopping spots nearby and told us how to get there. The owner was often coming by to this room to check on it, some inconsiderate guest stunk up the whole room with their feet and the owner ventilated the whole room and freshened the air for us.
This hostel is great value and i don't understand why it has so many bad reviews!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank maddiesydneyfc

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed at this hostel for two nights during my stay in DC, and found it to be be really pleasant. He gave us a discount because we were camp counsolers, so ended up being even cheaper than the already very cheap price we thought we were paying. Convenient for getting buses into DC, and although the bus driver told us it was in a dodgy area and to be careful - I felt safe here. The other guests staying there at the same time as us were very friendly, as was Bill, the owner, who gave us advice on places to visit in DC, and was extremely helpful/welcoming. I am shocked to read so many bad reviews after having such a nice time here! Bill even buys bread and jam for the kitchen, so I was able to make free breakfast/lunch. I feel like there might have been bed bugs..but for the price I paid, and the friendly atmosphere, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 24, 2013

No reception, no front desk, no storage room, poor bathroom, poor vent, and poor service! We lived here for only one day, but they charged us 2days fees, and they did it before we check out. The owner declined our request for refund! He is a lier.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank phil_vic
Reviewed November 27, 2013

If you are reading the reviews and think that it "can't be that bad", trust me, it really is. I don't like to write negative reviews because there are usually people trying hard to make a positive experience behind the scenes, but this place was beyond terrible. The hostel has ZERO signage, they don't advise of the fact that they don't open until 3pm, their idea of baggage storage is putting the bags in the hostel lobby (in full view of other guests) and saying "nobody will take it, it's a safe hostel", is terribly unorganised, zero communication, bathrooms were wrecked with tiles missing and hot water not working, and heating didn't work downstairs. Literally the worst experience of my trip, to the point where I left two days early. I can't emphasize clearly enough, IT'S NOT WORTH IT no matter what the price.

Room Tip: If you have to, book a private room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Tyler B
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The room that I was in was designed to hold 14.It was so small that every time that I snored,the guy across from me kicked my bed.
Security is non existant.They complained about the lack of heat.But,when they came and turned it on,they opened the back door.
The pboto that is shown is not of the hostel.It is of the office.The hostel is three blocks away.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed here as one of my final places on a world trip. I left after 2 nights and checked into another hostel in DC. you can only pay by card which I found odd as most travellers deal in cash. Then I was led by the co owner 3 blocks away to where my room was because it was a "cheap one", whilst asking me on a date. The front door was constantly open with no lock so I didn't really feel safe. The room was split in 2 but was genuinely a sauna... There was 1 industrial fan for 2 rooms... Both nights I woke up constantly because it was so hot. The bathroom was okay! But the kitchen was disgusting... I felt like I was in a squat. Would not stay again!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Jo S
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hostel is spread across two different buildings. The 4-bed and 6-bed rooms are at the indicated location, while the 14-bed rooms are 4 short blocks away. I have stayed at both buildings.

The main location, where the smaller rooms are, is very strange. As other have indicated, the rooms on the first floor lack windows. A few of them have skylights that are maybe 14 feet/5 meters off the ground, but others have neither a window nor a skylight. I'm not sure this is legal, as there is no alternate way out in case of fire. The bathroom in this location is also coed. It has two toilet stalls and two shower stalls. While the showers themselves have shoer curtains, the shower area isn't curtained off in any way. This means you basically have to dress, undress, and towel off while in the shower unless you want to possibly be naked in front of anyone else using the bathroom. These facilities are shared by perhaps 35+ guests.

Because of these failings, the 14-bed location is probably better. It is a rowhouse, and each floor of it is a single 14-bed room. Each floor also has a normal bathroom like you would find in an apartment. Despite having more beds, it actually feels more spacious because there is more space between the bunks and there is ample from the windows at the front and back of the building.

The management is kind of inefficient, and there's really only one guy who knows what he is doing (and even then it takes time to get things done). In my first couple of days, I thought the manager was very friendly, but then I noticed him seriously hitting on one of the female guests who was traveling solo. It was pretty uncomfortable, even as a male observer: another tripadvisor reviewer has written a pretty damning review of her experiences here, and I think female travelers should take her warning very seriously, especially if they are traveling solo.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo