“Good Time Had By All”
Review of The Pig

The Pig
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pig is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 3,383 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 14th between N and Rhode Island
Transit: Red Line, Dupont Circle Metro Location. The Pig is 5 Blocks east and 2 blocks south. Blue & Orange Lines, McPherson Square Metro Location. The Pig is 5 blocks north.
Description: The Pig is a celebration of pork and the whole animal. Our menu is dedicated to uniquely crafted, seasonal, and local food. Our menu is paired with American crafted cocktails, beer, and wine. We welcome our guests with great hospitality in a comfortable setting. Explore & enjoy the experience.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I recently had 20 associates in town and was looking for someplace a little different to dine. I contacted Andy and he set up a terrific menu and space for my gathering. The food here is always good and the service outstanding (thanks Devin and Jason). The menu is all or mostly all pork done up in all sorts of imaginative ways. The bar is an added bonus, with all sorts of specialty bourbon and scotch. This will be one of my regular dining spots whenever I am in DC, which is a lot. Thanks to Andy and the staff, it was a good time had by all!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Pig is a pork lovers heaven!!!! The pork shank was sublime, and the atmosphere is fun. A place you can dress up or go casual to. It does have a very unique mixed drink menu.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

This place used to be a favorite of mine and my boyfriend's. We first started coming back in the fall and fell in love with it! We even came here on Valentine's day. We took a little hiatus and decided to come back on the night of his birthday, May 12th.

We were so sad to see that the biscuits were taken off the menu (brunch only now). Even though the ham is a bit salty, the actual biscuits were my BF favorite. Since it was his birthday, the kitchen granted our request. We ordered our usual favorites: Wild boar ragu, braised pork cheek, mac and cheese, and (just for kicks) andouille/mussels. While eating, we noticed some small tweaks. The wild boar ragu was mostly the same...with the boar being more shredded and a bit lighter than usual. The praised pork cheek was different as well...not for the better, either. The mac and cheese is now in a ramekin and has a much more liquid-y consistency and a breadcrumb/panko top. I hate that kind of mac and cheese. The original cheddar, extra cheesy, cast iron version was so much better. Not to mention, the ramekin is the size of the kind you use for chocolate molten cake, yet still $7. Come to think of it, all of the portions seem slightly smaller than before.

As we were finishing our meal, my BF asked our waitress if they had a new chef....sure 'nuff, they do. I think he had only been there for a week or so. She said he wanted to make some changes to make the menu "his own". I wish he could have found his own restaurant to start anew with. I get wanting to put his mark on the menu, but I wish he had chosen to remove some of the more blah dishes (such as the andouille/mussels) and just add his own instead of tweaking some of the favorites. Also, the move to put the biscuits solely on the brunch menu was just silly. Folks love the biscuits, even if they don't love the ham.

Sad to say, we won't be coming back. We're so disappointed. The Pig played such an important part in our relationship...it feels as though we lost a family member lol. I feel ashamed, because on the way over, we talked to people from our hotel (the Helix) to go and eat there. It's ok, but not NEARLY what it used to be. I hope we can track down that old chef!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Really earthy and hip little place. Super busy and very accommodating . Food was farm to table style with a lot of creative and well prepared dishes. We found this restaurant around the corner from our hotel and we are glad we gave it a try.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I had the spicy Carolina BBQ which was just excellent on a toasted bun. My friend also liked the croque-madame. The buttermilk biscuits with country ham was disappointing, though, with way too much salt on the biscuit. The macaroni and cheese was good but not great. The service was good and the restaurant is nicely appointed. Overall I'll give this a very good score because the BBQ was so delicious.