“Love me some PIG”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 14th between N and Rhode Island
Transit: Red Line, Dupont Circle Metro Location. The Pig is 5 Blocks east and 2 blocks south. Blue & Orange Lines, McPherson Square Metro Location. The Pig is 5 blocks north.
Description: The Pig is a celebration of pork and the whole animal. Our menu is dedicated to uniquely crafted, seasonal, and local food. Our menu is paired with American crafted cocktails, beer, and wine. We welcome our guests with great hospitality in a comfortable setting. Explore & enjoy the experience.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Wanted to love this place and I did. We had a great meal tonight. Pig tails, pork belly, Pig Wellington, brussle sprouts, pickles, panna cotta; all amazing. Service good. Beer slection great. Really fantastic!

There are newer reviews for The Pig

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Wow! For true pig lovers, this is heaven. The little pork platter, mixed collection of three cured meats came with dates, pickled vegetables (lightly pickled cucumber, beet and olives). By itself, it made the trip to The Pig worthwhile. But maybe better was the cheek, a sort of braised hunk of pork served with a rustic polenta. Porchetta lovers who have explored this delight in Italy, be prepared for something different here. Lacking the crispy cracklings and herbal accents, this version was still delightful -- different than the classic, but good. Wines by the glass are a little limited. Cocktails look like a better option. Wait staff was great (listen --- they are good guides), but the hostess was a bit bossy (ordered us to settle our bar bill before taking us to our table) and lacked finesse. Noisy, young crowd in a wood lined space which felt more than a tavern than anything else. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The Pig has just opened for lunch. I had an excellent $20 lunch during DC's Restaurant Week, including an inventive croque monsieur and a tasty pork salad. From snout to tail the menu features porcine goodness, including a tasty swine butter. Gentiles rejoice!

Robert H, Manager at The Pig, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. Hopefully we will see you back here soon

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Pig allusions and jokes abound in this fine establishment. I must admit that I probably would not have chosen this restaurant were it not for a colleague's recommendation. I was favorably impressed by the pig-inspired cuisine and the cheeky decor. I never imagined myself eating pig ears (tasted like hickory sticks) or pig ragu. They were good, but I found the mac and cheese--continuing the pig theme with truffle oil--to be sublime. I could have eaten just that and been as happy as a pig in a poke. There is full service at the bar, which is great because this is a really popular place.

Robert H, Manager at The Pig, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. Hopefully we will see you back here soon

Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

I so wanted to love The Pig. I am a huge fan of "the other white meat," but this place didn't really wow me. The hostess was a bit rude, and our server was a bit of dud, and when he wasn't being a dud, he was a bit of a jerk. He also had a somewhat bloody (albeit scabbed over) scratch on his face that I didn't really want to look at while eating. Now, that being said, I can ignore mediocre service if the food is great, but the food wasn't. It wasn't bad, but it just underwhelmed. It tried to be really good, but I don't know--it fell flat with the exception of a couple dishes.

We stuck to the pig options and ordered the large charcuterie plate first. Most of this was very tasty, although the pig ear terrine just tasted like a somewhat salty jello. Following the charcuterie, we had porchetta, seared pork belly and the crispy pig ears salad. I love porchetta. I ate it every day when I was in Florence. This porchetta was dry and the sauce they served with it was overpoweringly sweet. The pork belly, which I love because it's succulent and juicy, was dry. How do you over cook pork belly? The pig ear salad was nice. The ears were cut into strips and very crunchy. I would have preferred them a little less crunchy, but overall, this dish worked. Next, we had the pig cheek with grits, the boar ragu, the Brussels sprouts salad and spoon bread. I must say the cheek and ragu were very tasty - a nice surprise compared to the porchetta and belly. The spoon bread was tasty. I recommend this. Sort of like a lighter, sweeter stuffing -- more soufflé-ish -- with tasty morsels baked in. The Brussels sprouts were just not good. Bland. Watery-like. And served cold. I love Brussels sprouts. I didn't love these. We had sticky toffee cake for dessert. This was delicious! Also, they had some very fun cocktails. All-in-all this place was "ok." I'm not disappointed I ate here, but I'm wondering if Birch and Barley down the street, or Graffiato which was also on our list of places to try, would have been better.

I do think the Pig owners/chef should come to Chicago and check out The Publican. Never had a belly, a pig ear or a charcuterie there that I haven't loved!

Robert H, Manager at The Pig, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Sorry you did not have a great experience when you joined us for dinner. Hopefully if you are in town again you will give us another try and let us show you that it was a one off