“Awesome, Highly Recommend It”

Smithsonian National Mall Tours
Ranked #46 of 148 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Ride beside history! Prepared in consultation with Smithsonian experts, this premiere Segway tour highlights the architecture, art, culture, and history of Washington, DC's National Mall and many of Smithsonian's famed museums. Hear the many stories behind DC's landmarks and most famous national treasures on this three hour tour. Covering over 1,000 acres of the National Mall and Memorial Parks, this is DC's only tour that departs directly from the Mall at the National Museum of American History. Must be at least 16 years old to participate. (Min. weight 100lbs, max 260lbs).
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is the way to go to see Washington, DC monuments. We booked a 2 pm Segway tour for 3 hrs. It was so much fun. We had no problem learning how to maneuver them. There were only the 3 of us, me, hubby and our 22 yr old son. Lee was our guide and he was so informative. We stopped at several places and we were able to take pictures. To see all of the people walking in the heat to get to one place to another, I was so glad we booked this. Enjoyed it and would do it again.

1  Thank JudyTM

Reviewed June 7, 2014

It was our first time on a Segway, I was a little nervous but our guide Lee, was great. Very patient and had a great sense of humour. We only had 2 days in Washington and we found that this was absolutely the best way to see so many monuments and the White House! Lee had lots of interesting, fun and information Stories. I didn't believe how fast 3 hours flew by so fast. We are now telling all our friends that if they ever have a chance to take a Segway tour Do It! Loved the fact that we got to park the Segway and walk the steps to the Lincoln monument'

1  Thank Cheryl F
Reviewed December 10, 2013

This was our first Segway tour, we were relieved that the Segways were easy and very fun to ride around!
Our tour guide was friendly, laid-back, and knowledgeable. As easy to ride as the Segways are, our guide over-estimated our ability on the Segway and lost us a couple times at intersections because he was going fast enough that not all of us could keep up when trying to manuever around poles, curbs, or get through the stop light... He didn't bother to stop after crossing the street to see if we were still behind him.
You have to put your trust in the other Segway riders, as riders get comfortable quickly and seem to stop paying attention to what they are doing. We had some trying to take video/pics while we were riding and one person fell off as a result. Luckily, we had only the one incident.
Definitely recommend a tour during the weekday- people don't seem to want to step aside when Segways are coming through; I couldn't imagine trying to ride this through the crowd on a busy Saturday afternoon.
It's a great way to see the city very quickly. We had just ran the Marine Corps Marathon the day before so it was a great "recovery" activity.
We spend a long break off the Segways in the middle of the tour that was back at the starting point- Nat'l Museum of American History to grab a snack and use the restrooms. This break, along with the Lincoln Memorial break would have worked out just fine to have shorten a bit and let us get off the Segways to walk around the WWII Memorial and/or Vietnam Memorial too.
I give it an average rating, it was a fun thing to do, fun to check it off the bucket list! It wasn't something that I would consider doing again but I'm satisfied that we tried it at least once.

1  Thank J-me H
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Had a great time. Was my first time in Washington DC and what a way to start off the sight-seeing. The segway was easy to use and a blast, and the tour was both fun, funny (stories), and informative. Our guide, Lee, was very friendly, laid-back, and informative (perfect!). Was a 3hour tour but didn't feel long at all. I could have done a longer tour:)

1  Thank 206Gemma
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The Smithsonian Tour by Segway was great - The tour guide was very knowledgeable of the sites we saw on the tour and the product - The Segways were easy to ride- We were able to see so much more!!

1  Thank Theresa W