“One of the best tours!”

Smithsonian National Mall Tours
Ranked #45 of 147 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Ride beside history! Prepared in consultation with Smithsonian experts, this premiere Segway tour highlights the architecture, art, culture, and history of Washington, DC's National Mall and many of Smithsonian's famed museums. Hear the many stories behind DC's landmarks and most famous national treasures on this three hour tour. Covering over 1,000 acres of the National Mall and Memorial Parks, this is DC's only tour that departs directly from the Mall at the National Museum of American History. Must be at least 16 years old to participate. (Min. weight 100lbs, max 260lbs).
Reviewed October 8, 2013

During the Government shut down this tour was just what we needed. I had already booked this tour and was so glad it remained open while all of the Smithsonian museums were closed. It was the only thing we had originally planned that we were able to do on our entire trip. Our guide, Rick, was great. The Smithsonian segway tour is fun and informative. The segway is easy to manage for all ages, even seniors, and is an great way to see a lot in a little time. You are given a hearing device so you clearly hear everything the guide says. I have taken several Segway tours and I am hooked! Thanks again Rick.

1  Thank lovestotravelHouston

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had an excellent experience touring the Washington, DC monuments. After a little practice on using the Segways, we were led around on our Segways past major sites by a pleasant and well-informed guide. Our tour was about two hours, although we did only the partial tour; the full one would have been at least another hour, but for us, 2 hours was about the right length. I live in the DC area and thought I knew our monuments pretty well, but the guide had all sorts of interesting anecdotes and history to tell us. Overall, a fun and interesting tour.

1  Thank AJSarah'smom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Education made fun! These zippy machines had us moving around DC safely and in no time. An excellent way to see so much in a short time and a brilliant way for us to finish our two day visit. Our guide Rick is knowledgable and passionate both about DC and Segway and made this unique tour a whole lot of fun. Thanks

1  Thank RobiStui
Reviewed September 20, 2013

A Segway tour has always been on my list of things to do, and my boyfriend arranged it. He couldn't have planned it better-- the weather was gorgeous that day. I'll admit that we're locals, and I was originally in it for the experience of riding a Segway more than the tour. But our tour guide, Jon, was a boundless font of knowledge and I learned a lot of new things about the history of my chosen city and the symbolism all around.

For tourists, I would recommend that you start your trip with a tour like this, because a good guide will point out where everything is and what's really fun to see. Jon gave a lot of good information about which museums held what items of interest and tips on what time of day to go and where to eat. It's also a much better way to see all of the Mall, since you don't have to walk the multiple miles that such a tour covers.

I had brought barely enough to fit in my jean pockets (keys, phone, money), not knowing that there were little packs on the front of the Segway for keeping stuff. I would have brought a bottle of water and maybe a real camera instead of just my phone. Wear comfy, supportive shoes because you'll be standing the whole time.

The Segways themselves were a lot of fun. We had an instructional video and our guide gave us a little intro course in the garden area to get used to the feel of the machine, which was really helpful. With that said, it took some getting used to out on the open sidewalk, and, for the first hour or so, my knuckles were white from the death grip I held on the handles. Those first few bumps in the sidewalk and street crossings were terrifying. But it's like any sort of balancing activity-- you feel more stable over time as you get used to it. By the end, whenever we were "stopped", I had the uncontrollable urge to spin in place, because it was so much fun.

1  Thank KS F
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Worth what you say? The price? Or the vague feeling of Bond villain-ness you get while riding it? Well, both. My girlfriend and I decided to give the Segway tour idea a go a couple of weeks ago and we had a blast. It was a lot of fun zipping up and down the mall and learning about the city as we went. And aside from the fact that we learned that the Supreme Court is actually the second highest court in the land (seriously, there's a basketball court above the courtroom... no seriously, who knew?!), I had three takeaways:

1) Our guide, Jon (or John? not sure of the spelling), was seriously good. When we looked around to see what options there were for Segway tours in the city, we discovered we had a couple options. We ended up going with this one because they operate in connection with the Smithsonian Museums and any time I can support them, I do. They're awesome. Also, since they are connected to the Smithsonians, they requite their guides to earn a DC tour guide license. From what I've heard, a lot of the other companies tend to skirt that.

2) I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's a lot of fun riding those Segways. It feels like a mix of skiing and skating. Plus, on a beautiful morning like the one we had, you could truck around the National Mall in the open air and see just about everything. It's far nicer than being stuck on a bus and more convenient too. You can take your time, go places where the buses can't, and basically take in the nation's capital from a different perspective.

3) It is not for everyone. This is really only reason I didn't give the tour five stars. I'm young-ish, and in good shape...ish, but by the end of the tour my legs were pretty tired and stiff. You have plenty of stops to take a minute to sit down and stretch out, but I can imagine it getting uncomfortable for older people, or people with bad knees. Also, while it is great fun riding the segways, it does take a little getting used to.

That said, it really is a great time and I'll definitely recommend it to just about anyone who asks. Once you get comfortable on the segway, there really isn't a better way to see the city.

1  Thank Evan C