“This was awesome!”

Smithsonian National Mall Tours
Ranked #41 of 145 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Ride beside history! Prepared in consultation with Smithsonian experts, this premiere Segway tour highlights the architecture, art, culture, and history of Washington, DC's National Mall and many of Smithsonian's famed museums. Hear the many stories behind DC's landmarks and most famous national treasures on this three hour tour. Covering over 1,000 acres of the National Mall and Memorial Parks, this is DC's only tour that departs directly from the Mall at the National Museum of American History. Must be at least 16 years old to participate. (Min. weight 100lbs, max 260lbs).
Fairfield, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This was awesome!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My 17-year old son and I took the Segway tour with Cameron . . . there were so many great things about it! Just riding on the Segway was fun in itself, and you get plenty of instruction at the beginning so that you feel very comfortable on the Segway in a short time. Even though it rained off and on throughout the tour (which meant we couldn't use the headphones), Cameron stopped at plenty of sites on the tour to fill us in on the touristy info, and was happy to stop if we wanted pictures taken or needed a restroom break. We covered so much ground in the time we were with him - it would've been so much harder on foot. Cameron was cheerful, informative, and fun. My only little complaint is that the ponchos that were provided smelled pretty musty. But overall, this is an experience I would definitely recommend to anyone!

1 Thank Sue H

Pennsville, New Jersey, United States
“Great fun”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Even though my wife took a header during the training it was one of the best tours I have ever been on in my life. It was fun and educational. Our guide Lee was great.

“Great Experience”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My main goal was to experience riding a Segway,and I got a generous three hours of that. After a few minutes experience I found the machine easy to control. There is a slightly greater potential for accidents than I expected, but if you ride as instructed you will be perfectly safe. Our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable, and he had grown up in the city. He was able to give an eye witness account at many of what preceded what you see today. At 60 years old, 56 of them in the city, he witnessed a lot of Washington history.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great sights”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Segway tour with Dan was very good. I enjoyed seeing the sights with a new perspective- even after seeing the monuments several times before. The 1.5 hr tour was a good length on a hot day. Bring your own water!

Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Fun but tour quality?”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Segway is fun, no question about it. Excellent and efficient way to see the National Mall, especially on a hot summer day.

I was a bit disappointed with the tour content. Rick gave very little information about the places we were passing by or stopping at. It was OK in the beginning while I was still focusing on handling the Segway. But once the novelty of it wore off, I found myself bored... completely unexpected on my first visit to DC you know... Even asking questions did not help much, I felt he had no profound knowledge of the locations. Weird as it was a 'Smithsonian' Segway tour... It might be Rick just did not feel like giving it a 100% that day, happens to all of us.
He did a very good job training us on Segway and making sure we are safe during the tour, no complaints there.

*Do wear very comfortable shoes. Though you are not walking, feet do get tired fast from almost non-stop movement over not so smooth surfaces. I wore sandals with too soft sole, regretted it. Should have worn tennis shoes or hiking type sandals.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Martha_FL
SegwayInc, Manager at Smithsonian National Mall Tours, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
At Smithsonian Tours by Segway we strive to provide complete historical information on each and every tour. We apologize if you felt as though we fell short during your experience. We do appreciate the constructive feedback and we’ll be sure to keep focused on providing the comprehensive high-quality content we’ve become well-known for delivering.

-Rick