“Smithsonian Segway tours are the best!!!”

Smithsonian National Mall Tours
Ranked #17 of 152 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Ride beside history! Prepared in consultation with Smithsonian experts, this premiere Segway tour highlights the architecture, art, culture, and history of Washington, DC's National Mall and many of Smithsonian's famed museums. Hear the many stories behind DC's landmarks and most famous national treasures on this three hour tour. Covering over 1,000 acres of the National Mall and Memorial Parks, this is DC's only tour that departs directly from the Mall at the National Museum of American History. Must be at least 16 years old to participate. (Min. weight 100lbs, max 260lbs).
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This was an excellent tour. I live and work in DC, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My friend and I took the tour, and Rick was our guide. He was awesome by giving lots of information about the Mall, monuments etc, in a pleasant and funny way. We saw all of the sites on the Mall. The best part on the tour was that they provided us with radios, so we could hear Rick without stopping all the time. I heard that not all DC tours use them. It was very convenient.
Whether you are a tourist or a local, I would highly recommend this tour. The sights are amazing and riding segways is so cool!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
in 165 reviews
in 94 reviews

Reviewed December 17, 2012

we loved the tour... my wife does not bike and we were afraid she wouldn't make it in the segway but our tour guide was very patient and she learnead in less than 10'... and the tour itself was fantastic giving us an overview of the mall... we recommend it... top notch

mario & bernette nusbaum
sao paulo, brazil

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We took the 3 hour tour with Lee as our tour guide. He was seriously knowledgable - seriously Lee knew more trivia and facts than a Jeopardy contestant and is a genuinely nice person!! We saw the mall, memorials, sculptures, Smithsonian buildings, MLK memorial, White House, Capitol Building, Hotels (the W where the drinks are &16.00 EACH but has a view of the white house) and learned more than I can remember about each of the aforementioned stuff. I LOVED it!! It is an absolutely MUST do. Located on the 2nd floor of the natural history museum. The guide will have a mic and participants have a receiver so you get to hear everything. Inexpensive really for what you get. Safety and Segway training was included, but the Segways are easy to ride and you see a safety video that explains everything. I would recommend doing it first then go back and tour the buildings and museums after you know where they are and what they house. And don't think you are too old to do it, I'm 60 and there was a guy who was 92. There is a 2 and 3 Hour tour, take the 3 hr one - if i had time I would have taken it again! TOO MUCH FUN!!

2  Thank Kathi H
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We did this tour one blustery December day and let me tell you, it was perfect for seeing the entire national mall quickly and easily.

Take it from someone who spent her first trip to the National Mall frozen and hungry and at least a mile from the nearest warm building. The mall is huge. It's history is varied and strange, and if you've never come to DC before, it will be enhanced immeasurably by a tour that gives you all the good stuff without having to walk your feet off or spend several days there.

If you have an ambitious schedule and want to see more than just the mall while you're in DC, or if you're fine standing for an hour or two but don't want to walk 5 miles, or if you just want to try out a segway, this is the perfect thing.

You get to whizz by other tourists, know exactly what your looking at, including the lesser known monuments that no one visits, hear some hilarious parts of history - like what Winston Churchill was doing in Eleanor Roosevelt's kitchen -- and be back at the museums in time to visit them. There is no better way to see the mall.

Especially if this is not your first trip to DC, it's the perfect way to see the sites with new eyes and on the back of a segway, which are so much fun to ride.

1  Thank Jess7302
See more reviews
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This tour from the Smithsonian was a wonderful experience. My husband was a little nervous about doing it, since we had seen other segway tours riding down the middle of Pennslyvania Avenue. He was not very excited about that prospect. However, this tour was totally on the mall and although we had to cross some busy streets, we were always on sidewalks and paths. Now he says this was the best thing we did during our entire vacation.

With our guides help, we were able to build a comfort level with the segways quite quickly during our little instruction period. Then we were off and rolling. Our guide was very knowledgable and provided a running commentary in our earphones as we were rolling along. We went from the American History Museum ( where this tour starts) down to the capitol building and then down to the Lincoln Memorial and then to the White House and back to the American History Museum, all in three hours, looking and learning about all the memorials and museums and statues along the way. It would have taken us days and seriously aching feet to cover the same ground on foot. The only thing that could have made this tour better was more time to stop and take pictures, etc. (You can't really take pictures while rolling around) There is so much to see. We went during the daytime. I think it would also be cool to go in the evening when all the monuments are lit up.

1  Thank Pikes525