“If I can do it...”

Smithsonian National Mall Tours
Ranked #39 of 143 Tours in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Ride beside history! Prepared in consultation with Smithsonian experts, this premiere Segway tour highlights the architecture, art, culture, and history of Washington, DC's National Mall and many of Smithsonian's famed museums. Hear the many stories behind DC's landmarks and most famous national treasures on this three hour tour. Covering over 1,000 acres of the National Mall and Memorial Parks, this is DC's only tour that departs directly from the Mall at the National Museum of American History. Must be at least 16 years old to participate. (Min. weight 100lbs, max 260lbs).
Boston, MA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“If I can do it...”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband had to twist my arm (not literally) to get me to agree to this, and it was only after reading others' reviews. We had planned on another Segway tour, but they were filled up the weekend we wanted and happily we stumbled upon this tour, conveniently located outside the Museum of American History. Lee patiently explained how the Segway operated and let us try it out while he held the handlebars for us. I definitely felt more at ease and looked forward to the tour the next day. The tour itself lasts 3 hours but we opted for the shorter version (2 hours) which cost a bit less but skipped the Capitol part, which we had already seen on foot. Deb, our tour guide, led the six of us like mother goose and her ducklings, skillfully navigating through the hordes of tourists. I surprised myself at how quickly and intuitively I got the hang of the Segway, and felt like a seasoned rider within minutes. Even crossing busy city streets and going up curbs was surprisingly easy. Deb was funny and informed and the time just flew. We also appreciated the many photo ops and her patience in trying to operate my husband's complicated camera to take snapshots of us! We needed to be back by 3 pm. and she assured us this would happen -- and it did. We didn't miss our train back to the airport, which was greatly appreciated! This was my hubby's first visit to D.C. and I wanted him to get a quick overview of the highlights, which this tour definitely provided. We had a blast with Segway tours and absolutely, highly recommend it!

Johnston
“Fun Tour!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

It was a blast riding a Segway. Rick, our tour guide, was fantastic! He even took pictures of all of us in front of the White House and other monuments with our own phones/cameras, and they all turned out perfect! He was very interesting and knew lots of facts and fictions about DC. Segway is easy to ride and fun. Will do it again next time in DC.

pennsylvania
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Informative and fun Tour!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

After much research I found this 3 hour tour to offer more by including the Smithsonian area.
The group is small 4-6 people so allows for more questions and moves easier, as a larger
group take longer to maneuver through people walking and keep together. The tour covered 8 miles of monuments, White House, Capital, National Mall, among other sites. Segway is a great way to cover DC and so much fun. A great way to spend an afternoon for our family while visiting children who live there. Thanks to
our informative tour guide Deb and Lee who booked our tour and answered our questions about it. There is
a small bag on the segway to store a wallet and camera, as the guide will take pictures of you at the
sites.

Knoxville, Tennessee
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Best way to see Washington!”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We only had two days to tour DC, so we decided to go on a segway tour. I saw other tours with more postitive reviews, but we chose Smithsonian because of their reputation for excellence. This tour did not disappoint! I also learned that the only reason there aren't more positive reviews is that they haven't been open very long. Rich, our tour guide was amazing. You could tell he was a history major, although I admit I did tune him out because the segway was so much fun. He stopped and took lots of photos of us and gave us time to rest and take photos. The 5 pm sunset tour was amazing. The sun going down over the Capital Building was just breath taking. I would highly recommend this tour. It was our third time on segways, but Rich still had us do the training to insure our safety. He is actually employed by Segway, so safety was his first priority. We saw everything we hoped to see and more!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Only time for one thing to do in D.C.? Do this!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Great fun. Easy to learn and a joy to ride. You get to see a lot in a short amount of time. Plenty of picture opportunities. I'll be doing this one again!