“Suprise, shock and dismay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University

Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University
Ranked #110 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Milwaukee
“Suprise, shock and dismay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Prior to arrival I read reviews and I called for specific details about the shuttle. I was told that it was free, available for drop off and pick up and that it would take us to the airport. I had planned to land at Dulles, but I was told by hotel staff that the shuttle would only take me to Reagan. So, I changed airports. Kellogg was chosen over Westin (which was in a better location and less expensive). I thought the convienience of the shuttle was worth the extra money. To my suprise the hotel looked like the pictures on the internet. Alva (the clerk at the front desk) was friendly and she remembered my phone calls. Gerald the shuttle driver, was awesome. He was personable, dependable and informative. The first few days were great (minus a few minor issues that could have been much worse). After the 3rd day, problems started. Even when scheduled in advance, the shuttle was unavailable and no one told me. So, I came down strairs expecting a shuttle ride and was shocked when I would have to get a taxi or use the University shuttle to the train station and catch a cab from there. Small problems such as no coffee pot in the room caused some dismay but those problems were overshadowed by the kindness of Alva, Gerald and an African American female manager who called a museum for us and showed us how to get to the museum on the subway. At first Ms. Washington (a different staff member) was cold and somewhat unprofessional but her attitude later changed for the better. By the end of the week she was OK too. I left items at the hotel and they will be sent to me (at least that what I was promised) Overall, it was an OK experience. It definately could have been better but also it could have been MUCH Worse.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MilwaukeeOtto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This hotel was a well appointed hotel with really nice rooms with everything you'd expect from a good quality hotel. Only gotcha was the free shuttle which runs to a time table and only goes to Union Station not anywhere we wanted in the city centre as understood and finishes too early in the evening. Taxis were no problem though. The uni setting makes for a very peaceful location. Due to nearby construction there was some noise across the street in the morning but obviously won't last. Free wifi was excellent.

Room Tip: For the remainder of 2012 ask for a room at the back of the hotel to be away from the construction...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonathan B
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed at this Hotel while in DC looking for a new apartment. Ironically, I am a Doctoral student at this University. BUYER BEWARE; read carefully what your reservation says if you book through another site at a discount. We were supposed to have a coffee maker in the room, and there was none. Yet all of the fixings, grounds, stirrers and mugs were present. My partner went down to the front desk to ask for the coffee maker. They promised one would be sent up. The next morning rolls around, and I am sure many of you can sympathize -- NO coffee available in the morning is basically torture, to say the least. The clerk gave us coffee from the self serve starbucks machine located in the lobby. However, the following morning -- and still no coffeemaker-- we went down to the lobby and helped ourselves to a cup of coffee.

The lady working at the front desk practically barked at us in front of the entire venue. I do not particularly enjoy being accused of thievery, nor do i appreciate being barked at by a hotel clerk to say the least. There are hundreds of ways in which this situation could have been handled professionally. But I digress. From the looks of the hotel front desk employees, none of them have any relevant training in Hospitality and Tourism. I suppose you really DO get what you pay for.

And here's the kicker: I am deaf and use sign language to communicate. The clerk in question couldn't even manage beyond 'hello, goodbye, and finished.' I am surprised someone with such a rude, cold demeanor could maintain employment in this economy with so many deserving people out of work.

The rooms, to be fair -- are decent, clean, modern. If you're looking for stellar service, I would recommend spending your money elsewhere. If you're on a budget and don't mind a few misgivings, then this will fit the bill.

Room Tip: Ask to face the campus green instead of Faculty Row.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank DefJordan
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We spent 2 nights here in May. Visiting DC for the first time we had no idea about the location. Its a conference centre situated in the campus of a deaf university. Quiet pretty environment, lovely huge room with free wifi. They have regular shutttles in the day to Union Station but the downside is if you return later than that you have to take the metro and walk about 10-15min in the dark down Florida road. We felt unsafe walking in the dark in that area, not the distance, just the darkness/dodgy feel. Also the breakfast ends at about 9:30 and many people were surprised to see the breakfast being removed at exactly that time so people who arrived late were able to just grab some items while they were being wheeled away. I know we may have been tardy, but just something to note. Otherwise Washington and all the memorials/museums are easy to access via the metro and Union Station so we would probably stay in a more central hotel next time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank saffronmom
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This hotel is good but a little strange I felt like I was on an army base it is a gated community several different buildings laying around. I was on a family trip so I def. felt 100% safe. I would def. stay here again about 13 mins from the white house. Very safe feeling place would def. recommend clean,comfy & convenient .

Room Tip: Ask security to direct you to the hotel the hotel building looks identical to the other 10 buildings...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DB2012_12
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend college visit with my daughter. Evening check-in was professional and efficient with a phone call to our room to make sure we were satisfied. The organic toiletries were a pleasant surprise. Beds were very comfortable with premium bedding (very high on my priority list). Staff was knowledgable of the area and able to provide pertinent tips on both walking and accessing the Metro. The shuttle to Union Station is a big bonus. We did not take advantage of the on-site Bistro or restaraunt but it deserves mentioning as well. The only reason this was not a perfect stay was the disruptive group of children on our floor the last night that took about two hours to correct (after multiple complaints by patrons). It is very likely that we would stay here again regardless of the reason we're in DC!!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank shihtzumomof3
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I just returned from a week's stay at the Kellogg Conference Hotel for a conference that was from Tuesday to Friday morning. I drove right onto the Gallaudet campus in my personal vehicle, so have no insight into the Metro or getting to the hotel from the airport.

Check in was a breeze and I was delighted to learn that the parking fee for the hotel was a paltry $18/night. Compared to other DC hotels, that's a steal. I was directed to my room on the 4th floor. The room size was smaller than I am accustomed to. It was a two queen bedroom, but the room was sized to hold the two beds and nothing much else. I did have a nice desk chair to work from and bureau for my clothing, on top of which was a Samsung flat screen television (32", is my guess). I prefer rooms that might hold one queen bed, plus a table and sitting chair or two. I do not like using a bed as furniture for watching television or having a conversation with a visitor to the room.

Internet in was free and freakishly fast for a hotel. I had both wired and wireless available to me in my room, but did learn that others in my conference did not have the wired option in their rooms. Luck of the draw, I guess. My business issued laptop only takes wired. I was told the other rooms were as well wired, but they were "turned off".

The food in the hotel at their breakfast and lunch bistro was fantastic. Both meals were buffet style with different prices for the options available. Lunches were especially non-traditional and flavorful. Being the school is for the deaf, the staff in the restaurant was as well deaf. I still managed everyday of my stay to get wonderful meals and learned to say Thank You in sign language.

A very nice stay for this conference.

Room Tip: Rooms are wired for internet (not only wireless), but are turned off. I was told that the front des...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business