“I will stay there again”

Kellogg Conference Hotel at Gallaudet University
Ranked #116 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 5, 2011

This small hotel is situated at the Gallaudet University campus. It is a very unique university, as it is university for mute and deaf students. The staff is very helpful. There is a shuttle to Union Station, which takes about 15 minutes drive. There is a parking place for your car, but you will have to pay extra for it. I will stay there again next time I will be in Washington DC.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed July 11, 2011

I stayed here with a friend who was in town for a conference at the university. The hotel is nicely appointed. The room was on the smallish side, but clean, crisp and new feeling/looking. The cafe seemed to have kind of strange hours, couldn't seem to catch a meal there, so can't speak to it. Also didn't have a car, but I bet there's free parking. That would be a major bonus. The internet was high speed and free. The grounds of the university are beautiful. It's a nice short walk to H Street with some great places to eat. We really like Ethiopian so that was a plus to be able to walk there. Capital Hill neighborhood is also a nice walk.

The negatives: the shuttle (maybe b/c it's summertime) was nearly always late and unreliable. The walk to the metro is through a depressed area and maybe dicey at night. The service is not like a regular hotel. There is one person who staffs the desk and it's a kid! They looked like maybe early 20's. The guy had no clue about anything, including what building the pool was in and wasn't about to try to find out. There was a young woman on staff later who had her act much more together, was professional and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank GardenGirl73
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Very good hotel with friendly staff, big comfortable rooms in a quiet environment. The neighbourhood around the hotel didn't look safe to me but they offer free 10-minute shuttle service to union station which is great.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I stayed at this hotel because I had a conference there. I had a large, spacious suite (though one of the two televisions didn't really "work"), and I was very comfortable. The hotel is not in the greatest location if you want to walk out the door and see D.C. *however* they offer a very convenient 10-minute free shuttle service that takes you right into the heart of D.C. This is a terrific option. The staff was friendly and pleasant. I didn't take advantage of the little bar, but it looked nice. They have a very well-stocked 24-hour "convenience store" right next to the front desk that cleverly offers things like sandwiches, wine, and potato chips. They did a very nice job with the conference and the conference dinner. It's not what I'd call a luxurious hotel, but it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Bluegrassdog
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I checked in, everything was fine I had a nice sleep and the next day I went out to get breakfast. When I came back my fridge was gone. I knew I had a fridge to begin with because I put my drink in there. There was only an empty space. I went downstairs and said my fridge was missing. They said they took it becuase it wasn't included in the reservation. I told them they can't give someone a room with a fridge an then take it out the next day while I'm gone, shady people. I told them that the reservation doesn't say I get an iron, coffee maker, hot water, air conditioning and internet. But nonetheless all of those are included and no one took those out. It's becuase I booked for a lower price than most when I checked out the rates the day of. Never go to a hotel that changes its mind on what amenities they give you one day and then take it when you're gone.

Room Tip: look to another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank adventure83
Reviewed April 17, 2011

The hotel is nice...large rooms, clean and comfortable. Gallaudet is a really pretty campus and the Kellogg Center is located there...however, as stated in other reviews, the area around campus is pretty sketchy. The person at the desk was very nice but a bit disorganized. Free high speed internet worked great. The exercise room is pretty small and limited but was fine for a quick workout. No food service available after a certain time, however breakfast and lunch at their resturant were very good.

Overall, very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Gail W
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Panasonic was the lead sponsor for Gallaudet University's First World Deaf Cinema Festival (WDCF). When I checked in I was told the hotel was over booked. I was offered off site accommodations, which I declined since as the lead sponsor and exhibitor I needed to be within close proximity. I finally agreed to stay in a room with only a pull-out sofa, which was not very comfortable. The WDCF event was great, but, my hotel stay was less than great.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business