“Very relaxing and close to museums!”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #16 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 17, 2010

My husband attended a conference in DC in July. We were able to choose from a list of over 20 DC area hotels and choose the Mandarin Oriental based on photos and reviews. We were a little concerned about the location and soon realized we loved the proximity to the Smithsonian museums and Holocaust Museum. It was only a short walk to the Smithsonian metro station, which allowed quick access to other sites.

We arrived around noon to check in and received a friendly greeting and quick check-in. We were even provided with lavender scented wash clothes to refresh our hands at the front desk. Upon returning from dinner, we entered the room to relaxing music, the beds turned down and fresh ice and water on the nightstands.

The room was amazing and we had a view of the Potomac River. The seating area and bed were both comfy. My favorite part of the room was the large bathroom with a soaking tub and television. Housekeeping did a great job each day providing plenty of extra towels and bath ammenities. Everything was spotless.

The restaurants have a wonderful reputation but are pricey. We choose to dine throughout the city and took a taxi or the metro back to the hotel. Although the streets around the hotel were quiet at night, we felt safe.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank TexansLove2Travel

Reviewed July 8, 2010

Great service, food, rooms and grounds. Staff was also great.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I recently attended a conference in Washington, DC and this was the hotel booked for me. Upon arrival it was made clear to me that this hotel is just not for the likes of me. I realize I was not a businessman in a suit, but it's uncomfortable to feel that you are intruding on staff who have more important things to do.

When I asked where the ice machine was located, I was told somewhat derisively that ice could be delivered. When I asked where the in-room coffee maker was to be found, I was told that coffee is available in the morning (until 8:30). When I went downstairs for a cup to bring back to the room, it was TEPID.

While the room was lovely, with a view, it is not practical for conference attendees (the convention center is a $10 minimum cab ride away and one day I paid $20), and I would prefer the option of fetching my own ice and coffee. Oh! And internet access is $15 a day!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Mantecagirl
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Will post more- requested early check in- they're late to normal check in already. All I've gotten so far is second class treatment and an insincere apologie. After she noted this was our anniversary ...very sad

1  Thank Bloemieke
MOWashingtonDCHotel, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2010

Dear Bloemieke,

We are very keen to learn more about your experience. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss at 202-787-6112.

Robert Lowe
Resident Manager

Reviewed June 8, 2010

We have stayed at the Mandarin several times during trips to D.C., and, even though the hotel is not located conveniently located near D.C. attractions, we generally use a cab to get around D.C. and it is not any more expensive to get to theaters and restaurants from the Mandarin than from many other hotels in D.C. In some ways, we like the quiet location of the Mandarin. It is one of the few hotels in D. C. where we have actually enjoyed walking around at night. The view down to the Capitol is stunning, whether by day or night, and you have good views of several other monuments.The rooms are immaculate, the restaurant serves delicious food, and the spa is first class, although expensive, like everything else at this hotel. Check the website regularly, rates can vary quite a bit, especially on weekends. We like the rooms on the river side for their views.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alashas
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We usually stay at other hotels in the District but the event we were attending was at this hotel. The rooms are nice and large, clean and the staff was amazingly helpful and courteous. We enjoyed staying on one of the Club Level floors and the Tai Pan lounge was great for grabbing breakfast, afternoon snacks and drinks. Well worth the slight extra cost. Although the restaurant we had lunch in wasn't great, the overall experience at this hotel was very good. We wish it were a bit closer to the other restaurants and tourist destinations.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
MOWashingtonDCHotel, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2010

Dear Okcathy124,

We are delighted to hear of your positive experience and we thank you for sharing! It is unfortunate that the location did not contribute to your overall satisfaction and for this we do apologize. There have been others that have not particularly enjoyed our location as well and it seems a bit odd considering the many marvelous Washington D.C. treasures at our doorstep. I hope you will indulge me for just a moment as I wish to point out the many attributes of the Washington Waterfront.

It is most definitely true that during the late evening hours, the area around the hotel tends to be very quite. The sleepy streets are welcome to some but not all and we certainly understand that; but the overall location offers something for everyone, be it convenience to air travel, unique Washington experiences on the water or ease to popular tourist destinations.

We built here in order to take advantage of the proximity to Capitol Hill, airports and Union Station, the Smithsonian Museums and the Washington Waterfront, and of course, the incredible views. Nowhere in the city can you spy the monuments quite like you can from Mandarin Oriental; the Washington Monument greets you upon arrival, the Capitol Building is framed beautifully by cherry trees from our front cul de sac, and the Jefferson Memorial is just steps away via our own private footbridge. The Jefferson Memorial’s adjacent Tidal Basin is a marvelous place to picnic or paddle boat, and the neighboring DC Fish Market, a series of large boats stretched along the channel, sells fresh and cooked seafood to locals and tourists alike. Quick access to Metro and all of the cities major arteries including 395 & 295, 14th Street and Rock Creek Parkway converging at our back door.

So we hope guests will consider exploring our unique location and allow us to assist in navigating this small and lesser known quadrant of the city; there truly is a great deal to offer.

I would be delighted to discuss any of the above. Feel free to call 202-787-6112, my direct line, or speak with the hotel concierge to learn more about the neighborhoods of south west Washington. We look forward to your next visit and again, thank you for your candid feedback!

Warm Regards,

Robert Lowe
Resident Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed one night after our anniversary dinner at Cityzen. We live in the area so we weren't staying for the location and the sightseeing, but as many others have noted this is not a good location for anything other than the cherry blossoms. One look at a map should help one to figure this out though. That said, the hotel itself is very nice, and bit large and a bit impersonal but that is sort of the nature of a hotel this size. The rooms are luxurious, not the best I've stayed in at this price range but the bathrooms are huge and luxurious and everything is clean and as it should be. I had heard the spa was very good and it definitely lived up to my expectations - the facilities are top notch, with a large locker area that was spotless, and very nice treatment rooms. I would definitely come back just to do spa treatments. The restaurant, Cityzen, was excellent and is consistently named as one of the best restaurants in DC, but you need reservations well in advance. The other restaurant where we had breakfast was only ok - it seemed like they wanted to push everyone into having the buffet so they didn't have to bother with serving you. We ate a la carte for half the price of the buffet and without getting up and down to get everything ourselves. As I said, I do live in the area and I've been a few times to the jazz nights they have in their lobby - very fun, a little loud, and good but expensive drinks. If you don't mind taking a cab everywhere from the hotel this isn't a bad choice.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple