So much depends on expectations when one reviews a hotel. Expecting a beach view? Great service? Great neighborhood? A bargain? Because, a review is just an account of how well one's expectations were fulfilled. And it all depends on what you're looking for.
I booked a room at the Mandarin Oriental for a week because I wanted my wife to have a comfortable place to stay whether we went out a lot or not. And, in that context, I was very happy. After a leak developed in our bathtub in the spacious corner room that we received, we were moved two days later to a junior suite with a big plasma screen TV in the living room, smaller but impressive HDTV in the bedroom, and an LCD wall hanger in the bathroom. The beds are ultra comfortable, and I slept like a dead man every night. The bathrooms were grey marble, with dual shower heads plus a big, deep tub. Wonderful. Although the couch in the living area wasn't very comfortable, it was OK. Service was very good. Room service one night was prompt, but pricey. No coffee makers in room, but complimentary coffee, USA Today, Wash POst, and NY Times were available in the lobby. But, there were some negatives, as well.
The location, as noted by other reviewers is kind of weird. It's at the end of a newly created street that is really nowhere near any other restaurants or businesses. If you don't want to eat in the hotel every meal, a taxi is more or less necessary at night, although the Smithsonian Metro stop is about a three block walk. But there isn't anything else nearby. The only immediate neighbors are government buildings by the blockful. After a daytrip to Georgetown, I realized how much more convenient to restaurants and shopping it would have been to have stayed there at the Georgetown Inn or the Four Seasons. True, the railroad rumbles by next to the property, but that is not a big deal. The problem is, in my view, relative isolation.
So, back to the positives.....the staff seemed very interested in providing us with a good stay. The lobby is spacious and lovely. That painting!! Provacative, interesting, and extremely well executed. The view out to the channel is nice.
In summary, this is an excellent property, very good service by accommodating staff, clean, stylish, spacious rooms with top notch bed comfort. If you're in DC on business, and taxi's are your prime mode of transportation, you'll be quite happy. As for me, and my expectations, I'll look elsewhere next time. Not because the MO-DC is below par (far from it), but because I'll want to be located next to more interesting stuff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- MO is celebrating the grand opening of District Wharf: DC’s hottest new waterfront neighborhood featuring over 20 exciting restaurants, the cool new Anthem concert hall, thrilling nightspots with live music, eclectic shopping, three public piers, and invigorating street life. Its all an easy walk out of our back door and down the street. With our freshly redesigned guest rooms, immersive spa, acclaimed guest service, and expansive views of the monuments and the water, Mandarin Oriental is Washington’s internationally sophisticated luxury hotel. We offer privileged access to the globally-minded, design-oriented, enthusiast travelers who are our guests. Whether you stroll to the National Mall and Tidal Basin or never leave the hotel, you’ll get the best of DC and feel a home away from home. Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is famous the world over for providing intuitive service, elevated dining, arresting design, and sensuous wellness. Are you a fan? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Washington d.c. Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington Dc
- Mandarin Oriental Washington Dc
- Mandarin Washington Dc
- Washington Dc Mandarin Oriental