“very impressed, first class service”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #14 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 18, 2009

Have just returned from a four night stay at the mardarin oriental. I was very impressed and was given top quality customer service throughout my stay.

Took taxi ride (around 55$ from dulles airport) after flight from uk.

checkin was very smooth, with receptionist coming out from behind the desk to chat face to face which i thought was a nice touch.

room was large, and very clean. had a 7th floor room, with view over city. i could see washington monument. (if i looked down i could see the rail track, and empty parking lot, although this was not a problem). beds were excellent, large choice of tv channels and wonderful bathroom - both shower and bath. again it was all very clean.

had breakfast at onsite resturant. great buffet, wonderful quality food (22$, so not the cheapest option). tables with view over tidal basin. my colleague also ate at the cityzen resturant for an evening meal, and again it was quality fare.

checkout was swift, and storage of bags no problem. took taxi back to airport again.

overall, this was a great stay, if you can get affordable rate. fully recommended. i will be back.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank nickss1

Reviewed December 15, 2008

Please let me begin by saying that this hotel is quite beautiful. Lovely rooms and bathrooms.

My problem with it was mainly the service. Not all of the service -- but some of the most important parts.

Basically it just seemed like the staff kept trying to shunt me off to the least desirable options -- for example, the lower-floor room next to the (loud) railway tracks or to the lonely table at the back of the restaurant. I found that I had to become a 'pesky customer' and continually _ask_ for them to give me the nicer options. At a hotel of this caliber and for the exorbitant rates I was paying, I just feel like they should have given me the 'good' options without me continually ask for them. That is the kind of service I would expect!

Otherwise, the service (in terms of the maids, waiters, doormen, etc.) was quite nice.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank KHE
Reviewed December 10, 2008

Having had afternoon tea in the lobby lounge of the Mandarin Oriental, my friend went back to her room to get her coat and I remained in the lobby to enjoy the atmosphere and chatted with a nearby couple. Being middle aged and dressed up for tea, it surprised me that when I returned from using the rest room and sat down again, I was questioned by officious hotel personnel as to why I had been sitting in the lobby for so long [ten minutes?!] and whether I was a guest. I felt debased as a person having to explain my presence in a hotel lobby. Then I saw a celebrity and her considerable entourage waltz through the lobby to enter their waiting limos. For that reason alone - requiring average citizens to explain and restrict their movements in fawning deference to a celebrity, I would never walk into the Mandarin Oriental Hotel again. And, by the way, the afternoon tea service was indifferent -not even close to the quality served by the Ritz Carlton or the Willard Hotel in Washington.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank TeaLady33
Reviewed November 30, 2008

Our family stayed at the Mandarin Oriental over the Thanksgiving holiday. As we booked through American Express Platinum, we were upgraded to a waterview view room, with a view of the Jefferson Memorial. Our room was not ready when we arrived, so we grabbed a bite of lunch at the MoZu cafe, which has a great view of the marina. The lobster club sandwich was very good, although the soft drinks were small and expensive. I would recommend that the hotel do away with the little soda bottles.

The room was outfitted with two double beds. Two queen beds would have been better. The beds were adequate, with soft duvets. The TV was a standard TV, not the flat screen that you usually see in most five star hotels now. The bathroom was great, all marble, with a separate soaking tub and shower. Good vanity space and a nice makeup light made the bathroom top-quality.

The spa at the MO was four if not five star. Spa use is free, which is much appreciated. There is a large "vitality pool" (hot spa), an amethyst steam room, and a special themed shower. The workout facilities were great, and the lap pool was nice. My only complaint was that both the hot spa and pool were a bit too cold, and water was not available on one visit.

There are two restaurants and one bar at the hotel. The bar is outstanding. Although drinks are expensive as they are at most five star hotels these days, you are presented with a huge bowl full of olives and nuts to enjoy with your drink. Drinks were very well made to boot. Therefore, you really felt like you were getting your money's worth at the bar.

City Zen is a smaller, top-of-the-line restaurant catering to the prix fixe crowd. We had drinks and cheese at the bar when the lobby bar was booked for a party. Cafe MoZu has an awesome breakfast ($20 per person credit if you book through AMEX), but dinner was just OK. I had black cod for dinner, which tasted a little less than perfectly fresh.

We really liked the location of the Mandarin Oriental. It is just a five or ten minute walk to the museums. It is especially close to the Holocaust Museum. There also is a Starbucks across the street, which is nice.

Staff at the hotel were exceptionally nice. Service there is just flawless.

Overall, we would stay at the Mandarin Oriental again next time we are in Washington, DC.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank OurLakeHouse
Reviewed November 28, 2008

Stayed in this hotel for a few nights - the room was very spacious with a nice view of the Jefferson Memorial. As typifies this level of luxury spacious bathroom offerred separate shower with nice Gilbert and Soames Amenities.
There is a beautiful Spa in the Hotel although treatements are a bit pricey . Internet is offerred at a reasonable $15.00 for 24 hours while Valet parking is a steeper $38.00 per night plus tax.
The Hotels location favours those who want to walk to the sights along the Mall in DC.
While there is a starbucks near the hotel there is little else in the way of restaurants in walking distance.

All the employees were very freindly and overall a very enjoyable stay in the Nations Capital.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank 747/400
Reviewed November 13, 2008

The Mandarin Oriental has excellent service from the minute you arrive, to when you get to your room. As an 18-year old, I have grown to expect a certain level of discrimination especially in five-star hotels. This hotel, not only treated me like a king, but learned my habits, and favored my requests. Their rates are affordable, and I highly recommend the Tai Pan Club, which provides private eloquence, and a great place to smoke cigars on the balcony (ask the attendees at the club to move the chairs outside). The rooms have always been clean and well stocked, and when I forgot deodorant it was delivered promptly.

The Spa at the Mandarin is excellent, although I feel it is obnoxiously overpriced. At $250 without tip for a deep tissue massage, and no cancellation (I made my reservation 3 months prior, turns out a meeting I was attending conflicted, could not move, had to pay $250 to get a massage I did not have.

I highly recommend the Mandarin Oriental, and if you had one choice for your stay in D.C. I strongly recommend the Mandarin Oriental. Just be careful of the Spa.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank coold8
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Hotel was very nice but there was a fair sized black dead bug in the bathtub when we arrived. There was a separate shower stall so we didn't use the tub but even though the maid changed the towels draped over the tub she failed to see the bug during our entire 4 day stay.

Valet parking was $38 a night plus $5+ tax - totally ridiculous