“Great Service, watch out for Spa Cancellation”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #15 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 13, 2008

The Mandarin Oriental has excellent service from the minute you arrive, to when you get to your room. As an 18-year old, I have grown to expect a certain level of discrimination especially in five-star hotels. This hotel, not only treated me like a king, but learned my habits, and favored my requests. Their rates are affordable, and I highly recommend the Tai Pan Club, which provides private eloquence, and a great place to smoke cigars on the balcony (ask the attendees at the club to move the chairs outside). The rooms have always been clean and well stocked, and when I forgot deodorant it was delivered promptly.

The Spa at the Mandarin is excellent, although I feel it is obnoxiously overpriced. At $250 without tip for a deep tissue massage, and no cancellation (I made my reservation 3 months prior, turns out a meeting I was attending conflicted, could not move, had to pay $250 to get a massage I did not have.

I highly recommend the Mandarin Oriental, and if you had one choice for your stay in D.C. I strongly recommend the Mandarin Oriental. Just be careful of the Spa.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank coold8

Reviewed November 2, 2008

Hotel was very nice but there was a fair sized black dead bug in the bathtub when we arrived. There was a separate shower stall so we didn't use the tub but even though the maid changed the towels draped over the tub she failed to see the bug during our entire 4 day stay.

Valet parking was $38 a night plus $5+ tax - totally ridiculous

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank photog321
Reviewed October 30, 2008

Staying at this hotel was really a treat for me. I was on government per diem, and I could imagine that if I paid higher rates I wouldn't be happy, but it's really the best place I've ever stayed on the government dime. The pool and workout rooms are fantastic. I had a beautiful view of the Washington Monument. The bathroom was incredibly spacious with separate tub and shower.
I had a friend visit and when she left in a rainstorm the concierge gave her an umbrella even though she was not a guest. That's great service.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank oserica
Reviewed September 5, 2008

My cousin's wedding was at the Mandarin Oriental in mid August and he had reserved rooms at a special rate for his guests ($230 per night, which was the same rate you could have gotten on Mandarin's website for their least expensive room). I was debating whether or not to stay at the L'Enfante Plaza Hotel a few blocks away as it was half the price, but the reviews seemed awful. Furthermore, I was hesitant to book at the Mandarin as the reviews were not what one would expect for a 5-star hotel. However, for convenience's sake, I opted to go with the Mandarin and was very pleased with my decision.

The one thing I noticed immediately was how friendly the staff was, from the doormen to the bellhops to the concierge at the front desk. The one thing that I found annoying about the staff was that, for many of them, their command of the English language was elementary at best. If they were Spanish speaking, I could get by, but they were mostly new immigrants from Ethiopia who had difficulty understanding my requests the first time, so I had to repeat myself several times. However, they made up for it with their warm smiles and courteous attitude. The service from the staff was second to none, which one doesn't normally get at the larger commercial hotels.

The hotel itself was immaculate and the rooms were quite large. Bear in mind that we were most likely staying in the least desirable rooms, as that is what hotels generally warehouse for wedding or convention guests, and still, the room was fantastic. The bathroom was huge and the shower, which was glass enclosed, had ridiculously good water pressure.

I wasn't in town for sightseeing, so I can't really comment on the "location" aspect of the hotel. However, we did go for a nice leisurely stroll to the Jefferson Memorial, which is less than a ten minute walk from the hotel. I noticed that the hotel is within walking distance (15 minutes or less) to many musuems and other tourist destinations.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank MashBoy
Reviewed August 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Mandarin for business for 3 days. We did not pay for it, but I know that it was very pricey. I don't know that we would go out of our way to stay here again because it was very expensive. Having said that, it was incredibly nice. We were especially impressed with the quality of customer service all the way from the bellboys to the concierge. They always made us feel very regal and special.

Our rooms were very comfortable. We had a corner room that had a nice amount of space in it. I found it strange that at this price range they had mediocre TVs. Also odd, the room did come with a coffee pot. This is something I thought most all hotels offered. Another inconvience (depends on how you look at it) was that they did not ice on the floors. You had to call down for it.

The location of the hotel is phenomenal. You are on the waterfront and also very conveniently located to a metro station which allows you to get anywhere you need to go. You can also get to the heart of DC for about 6.00 cab ride or walk 15 minutes to the mall area with the Smithsonians and Washington Monument. All very convenient from here

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank mrsgaston
Reviewed August 20, 2008

I booked the Mandarin Oriental because it was a reputable chain and I got a great rate online. After I did, I read the reviews here and wasn't sure what to expect.

The staff was friendly, all requests were handled quickly, and the room was very clean. The only problem described in other reviews that I encountered was that one had to call room service to get ice. We did it twice and they were very prompt.

We had breakfast in the restaurant, and there were only a few tables occupied. Service was efficient and the food was very good. One odd thing, though - someone was mopping up a spilled bottle of red wine, and the maitre d' walked us through the wet part of the floor to get to our table, when he could have walked around it.

The room was beautiful. Only a queen-sized bed, but the bathroom was very large. The view was of the marina, which was very pleasant. The wake-up calls (with follow-ups) were punctual, pleasant, and done by a real person.

The location is surprisingly good. You see the trains, and the airport, but hear neither of them. It's two blocks south of the Smithsonian train station and surrounded by office buildings. At no time did I feel unsafe walking the streets near the hotel, and the lack of nightlife in the immmediate area made it much more private.

There are two buildings along the stretch of Maryland Avenue that ends with the hotel that have street level retail. So far there's a sandwich shop and a Starbucks, but as more opens there the area will be a bit more amenable to tourists who don't want to pay 5-star prices for a cup of coffee and a muffin.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
5  Thank mapleleaves8
Reviewed August 8, 2008

I am currently staying at the Mandarin in DC for a wedding. I reserved adjoining rooms a few months ago. I specified that I wanted rooms that were connected by a door.

I called three times to ensure the rooms were adjoining and to see if I could have early check in, I was told they would do their best.

I arrived at the hotel this afternoon at noon. I was not checked in until 2:45. Our rooms were ready and cleaned by 1:00, but someone from housekeeping needed to "check the rooms to ensure their quality." So while quality was being ensured we waited for another hour and 1/2. Only 2 of the 6 people I spoke with were pleasant and appeared to at least show some empathy for the fact that we were waiting. The rest of the staff was curt and very short with us. One individual told me that I had only called this morning and had not called previously. I certainly did not appreciate the insinuation that I was lying about how many times I had previously checked my rooms.

When we finally got to our rooms we discovered that the rooms are adjacent and NOT adjoining. I called to have this fixed and was told that I had made a mistake and should have asked for "connecting" rooms not "adjoining" rooms. As connecting and adjoining are direct adjectives I was a bit confused. In any right, I was made to feel like I ordered the wrong rooms and that it was my fault when I ordered these rooms months ago and called to check on them 3 times. I was never told when I made and checked the reservations that adjoining rooms that are a connected by a door would give me solely adjacent rooms.

It is not the fact that I waited or the rooms are not what I wanted that upsets me. It is the fact that no one was truly empathetic to our situation. I have been treated rudely, and am very disappointed with the hotel's idea of hospitality. I am offended and frankly very irritated. For the money we are spending, this is nothing short of ridiculous!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends