“One perfect night”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #13 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We were there for one night only. But everything from roomservice to the backyard was perfect.

The hotel is perfect for a stay in the spring. I absolutely loved the breakfast.

We got great service, especially from the bell boys.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Timothy H, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Dear Juliussen,

Thank you for the kind words! I have shared your comments with our team. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed May 6, 2014

When you walk into the lobby of the Mandarin Oriental in Washington, DC, it is immediately apparent that you are in one of the top luxury hotels in the district. From the valet service outside and the professionalism at the front desk to the cleanliness of the rooms...the hotel met expectations. Our bathroom was especially nice.

At first, the location seems odd - you are in an area of SW DC that is almost entirely filled with government offices. If you are looking for shops and cafes outside your door, stay somewhere else. However, you can't get closer to the mall. The hotel is only two blocks away from Smithsonian museums on the Independence Ave. side of the mall and only one block from the tidal basin. More importantly, you are literally 30 seconds from the 395, making it incredibly easy to drive across the 14th street bridge to Reagan National, Old Town Alexandria or anywhere else in Virginia.

Unlike practically any other hotel in DC, the Mandarin Oriental is extremely accessible. You can drive into DC and pull in front of the hotel in 1 minute. You just can't do that at other luxury hotels in DC. Another helpful point - the hotel charges $50 to store you vehicle overnight (pretty standard for DC). However, based on the location and lack of anything else going on at night within a few blocks radius, we had an easy time parking on the street outside the hotel or around the corner on 12th Street SW...on Friday and Saturday night...for free.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank mjbatt77

Dear mjbatt77,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! Indeed, we are very proud of our location within Southwest Washington, D.C.

In addition to being within just a five minute walk to most of the Smithsonian Museums, we are also just a five minute drive to the U.S. Capitol.

Moreover, many of the area’s top restaurants are just a short cab ride away. With a taxi stand directly outside our door, access in and out of the hotel is incredibly easy.

I trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We received a very warm welcome upon checking in. Our room, though not very large, made up for that minor deficiency with floor to ceiling windows and views out to the Washington Monument and some other D.C. city monuments.

If available, try to book the concierge level. There are a premium of rooms set aside, but the payoff is access to a huge room with large comfy chairs and couches.

Did I say anything about the goodies in the concierge goody room? Light breakfast in the am, treats & sweets all day and a free bar in the evening. We used it and loved it & well worth the extra tithe.

I love my bed at my home but these beds are extraordinarily comfortable. We requested and received a king bed and I cannot describe how comfortable it was.

The concierge at the front desk gave us "go to the front of the line" passes to Fords Theatre that performed as advertised.

I could go on but simply put, there were no weak spots. This is the 2nd entry I have made into this db. It is done solely on the merit of the Mandarin Oriental.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank BrianCfromHC77

Dear BrianCfromHC77,

Thank you very much for such a wonderful review!

Indeed, our ‘Tai Pan’ Club Floor has many great benefits. In addition to the Food & Beverage presentations, we also have a dedicated Concierge on hand to assist with any restaurant or spa reservations.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to see us again soon!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

This was my first and last stay at the MandarinOriental. I really splurged for the long weekend. Loved the gorgeous room,bathroom and fabulous room service (try the curry). Restaurants were awful, and so was management when there was a problem with dirty sheets (yuck). Back to the Ritz Carlton for me!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank B G

Dear B G,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback!

I am truly delighted that you enjoyed our guest rooms and their luxurious bathrooms! Indeed, we have an excellent In-Room Dining menu. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your meal.

That said, I am discouraged with your comments about our Restaurant and the Front Desk. Could I ask that you contact me at tharleth@mohg.com with your reservation number? I would be thankful for the opportunity to investigate these issues to ensure we resolve any outstanding concerns you might have.

I look forward to speaking with you!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Anyone familiar with the unique character of the Mandarin Oriental in New York or London will be disappointed with this slightly soul-less hotel which lacks in style and character. The oriental touches in the public spaces and the bedrooms are minimal.

This is fundamentally a business hotel, though proximity to the Tidal Basin appeals to some tourists. Bedrooms and bathrooms are spacious and comfortable, with prompt and attentive housekeeping, but furnishings are more functional than memorable. The same can be said of the public spaces.

I had a poor experience at check-in. I had notified the hotel in advance that I would be checking in early at 11am. On arrival, I was told my room was not ready. It took five minutes and the requested intervention of a manager, but I was assigned a room immediately. Don't take no for an answer.

Amusingly, on entering my room, I found a letter from the manager which read in part: "Our team is committed to exceeding your expectations and providing you with a memorable visit." Thanks to the front desk reception, it was certainly memorable.

Room Tip: Request a water view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear spencerusa,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the guest rooms and public spaces of the hotel.

However, I am concerned with the challenges you encountered while attempting to check into your room early. Could I ask that you email me at tharleth@mohg.com with your reservation number?

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this posed on your morning. If your early arrival had been guaranteed, you should not have been met with any resistance. I would be incredible thankful for the opportunity to look into the matter in greater detail.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

The location is fabulous. Across the street from the Tidal Basin and right on the river.
My family was able to walk to the attractions. I utilized the Spa and loved it and the pool too. Room location overlooking the Jefferson Memorial and Tidal Basin was great. We were on the executive floor with daily snacks and food in the lounge.The staff emailed me prior several times to ask me if we needed anything extra. The price was fare for the location. We ate at the hotels restaurants and the food was expensive but good.Would return for sure. Location is a very quick trip from Reagan International.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Karen W,

Thank you for such a delightful review! Indeed, we have a foot bridge through our garden that provides easy access out to the Jefferson Memorial & Tidal Basin.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back into Washington soon!

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

The location is great, walking distance from the mall and facing the river. The room was spotless and comfortable though somewhat small. Tha bathroom however was anazing! Looks like recently renovated. The staff was extremely helpful and polite. We had a great weekend here.

Dear y2m2r,

I am thrilled you enjoyed the location of our hotel!

I trust that we will have the chance to welcome you back into Washington in the near future!