“Beautiful Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Louis Park, Minnesota
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The Mandarin Oriental in D.C. is is a beautiful hotel in a perfect location; I wish I could have stayed longer. The staff was very friendly and anxious to accommodate us with anything we needed. The room was absolutely beautiful and extremely comfortable. I look forward to returning to D.C. and will definitely book my stay at the Mandarin Oriental.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed April 7, 2014

we stayed at the hotel last weekend.. Our room was a very nice room, the bed was great, the staff very attentive but if you're a light sleeper, this hotel is directly next to a heavily used rail line that woke me up 10 or more times per night... Room service is unrealistically expensive to those who object to a 50 dollar breakfast.. The lounge could be a lot bigger and if you want to enjoy the afternoon with a cocktail it's very difficult to do because High Tea takes precedent..

Room Tip: stay away from the trains
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Disappointed - the only way to sum up my stay at Mandarin Washington DC.

I have previously stayed in the Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park (London) and enjoyed it. In September 2013, we stayed at the excellent Jefferson Hotel in Washington D.C. For my recent visit to Washington in March, I decided to try the Mandarin Oriental. How foolish to base my expectations on previous stays at the Mandarin Oriental London. I had expected Mandarin DC to be on par to the Jefferson Hotel in DC, but it fell short of colleagues' experiences at the Hilton, Four seasons, Ritz and even Marriott for similar tariffs.

I could not have been more disappointed. It was shocking to learn that breakfast was an extra at the Mandarin Washington D.C. -- at a five star hotel and certainly included at the Mandarin Hyde Park London. And at $28, the breakfast was merely average -- with cheeky supplements for certain items. I have had better complimentary breakfasts at the Marriott or Hyatt hotels worldwide!

Neither coffee nor tea in room, nor even an executive lounge with evening drinks or canapes were availed for my stay -- minimum requirements from previous Mandarin (London) and Jefferson (DC) stays -- even the Marriott! I enjoyed drinks from the lobby bar and felt these were reasonable value, but still surprised to find no coffee, tea or evening executive lounge service- at a 5 star hotel no less. Add to this -- $49 daily parking charge.

The room was basic, though of a good size. The bathroom was excellent, and well maintained. The check in staff excellent, bar staff very good, but the concierge was rather indifferent. No free wifi in room or in the hotel at all – shocking miscalculation to charge $15/day for wifi – at a five star hotel in the 21st century during conference season??

And imagine -- third night free offer via web / tripadvisor, but not offered during my 3 night conference stay!

I will certainly not stay at the Mandarin DC unless management convince me otherwise. We are due to travel to Washington DC again in May this year, and on several possible future trips there over the next year, but The Jefferson will get our vote in DC!

Summary --

poor value compared to the Jefferson, Four Seasons or even the Marriott DC.

Disappointing compared to our previous stays at the Jefferson DC and Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park.

A five star hotel, particularly of Mandarin Oriental calibre, should not stoop to charge for (1) breakfast (2) internet wifi (3) tea/coffee (4) lack of executive lounge...couldn’t even access Tai Pan -- at a minimum, you should consider your competition during conference season. We all have a choice of where to stay, and I will advise others to look elsewhere in DC.

Dr R Chung

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
1 Thank Robinmotogp
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We loved staying at the Mandarin Oriental in DC. The staff were so attentive. Their courtesy was apparent and wanted to help in anyway they could. The room was lovely - great lighting, good view. There were no glitches at all except for the weather, but I didn't think they could do anything about that.

The spa was great and relaxing. Tanya did my nails - and she was wonderful! I was surprised that they only had one nail technician, but I can understand why she is consistently booked.

Room Tip: The room was quiet - we were on the water side. We were on the second floor and had a lovely view f...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Timothy H, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Shari C,

Thank you for the wonderful comments!

We have shared your comments with Tanya & the team. Everyone is truly delighted that you were able to find your Zen, despite the inclement weather.

We look forward to your future stays with us!

Tim Harleth
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have been staying at Mandarin properties for 30 years and I was ecstatic when the Mandarin opened in DC, where I travel frequently on business. I made the Mandarin DC my hotel of choice when I commenced a series of meetings over a six month period in DC over two years ago. The property did not disappoint in any respect and lives up to the Mandarin's high standards.

Check in is always professional, friendly and efficient. The hotel is always good about assigning me a lovely room. The views are exquisite all seasons of the year. I especially like the Cherry Blossom season since many rooms have views of the Tidal Basin and the blossoms.

Every room that I have stayed in is spacious, very well designed and beautifully appointed. The beds and linens are soft and welcoming. The bathroom are large and offer oversized tubs and stand alone showers.

The lobby is grand and houses a great lounge, and offer an extensive list of premium (and interesting) drinks, tea and coffee.

The location is out of the center. I enjoy the river and monument views and access to so many great running options in the morning, including all of the monuments and the Capitol -- not to mention a run across the river into Virginia. Our office is an easy cab ride away and taxis are always plentiful.

The Spa lives up to the Mandarin's high standards as well.

Overall, this is a lovely gem and oasis in the Capitol and a great option for a retreat when in Washington for business. We also made a family trip when I once had meetings all all of our children -- big and small -- had a grand time and enjoyed the convenience and location.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear M S,

We are honored to have the opportunity to make our hotel a ‘home away from home’ for you & your family.

Thank you for your continued patronage! We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!

USA
Reviewed March 28, 2014

15 minutes to check in, then room wasn't ready, then 30 minutes for a new room key to switch rooms because room request was incorrect, and now almost an hour and counting to get a new light bulb for the only upright lamp in a dimly lit and poorly lit room.

When I complained to the manager, her response was far from empathic. It was just the usual lines of "we'll do it right away."

The staff here are poorly trained. The rooms are nice but not exceptional. There is far better value at this price point. The service (bellmen, room servicing staff) are good, but that's it. Horrible experience.

4 Thank frequenttraveler342
Dear frequenttraveler342,

While I am delighted by your comments on our In Room Dining & Guest Services colleagues, please accept my apologies for any delays you encountered. This is obviously not indicative of the standards of service we aim to achieve.

Could I ask that you contact me at tharleth@mohg.com with your reservation number? I would grateful be for the opportunity to investigate the issues you had during your stay with us.

Washington, DC
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This is my second visit here for an overnight stay for business function. From the moment you arrive, you feel welcome and special. When checking in you are greeted with a friendly hello and a warm towel to refresh yourself. The rooms are A+, large, luxurious, clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are huge, with a soaking size tub and a large tiled shower with one of the most powerful and soothing showerheads I've ever experienced.

The housekeepers have an invisible presence in your room, making subtle adjustments as the day goes by to help you out along the way. The large tv swivels toward the bed but doesn't swivel the other way towards the desk. I did have an ice bucket full of water when I arrived, which I imagine was waiting ice at one time. I walked the hall looking for ice without success and imagined the security staff watching me through the many cameras situated along the halls, half thinking an invisible voice would tell me that there is no ice on the floor and call housekeeping.

I was onsite for a conference and the banquet staff was pleasant and efficient and always available. The food, for a conference, was way above average, actually delicious. The eggs at breakfast tasted manufactured though, as opposed to real/fresh.

The one complaint I would have is that the $15/night internet fee seems excessive considering the cost of the room and the universal use of wifi.

1 Thank Eyeballs
Dear Eyeballs,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your evening with us!

I truly believe that we have one of the best experiences in Washington, D.C.

Our team is genuinely eager to ensure that all your needs are anticipated.

Additionally, I have some very excited news on the cost of internet. We have a new initiative that provides complimentary internet access for up to six different devices. This is available to all guests that create a Profile on our website, www.mandarinoriental.com, and book one of our published rates.

I trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!