“MANDARIN BIRTHDAY STAY”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
“MANDARIN BIRTHDAY STAY”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Amazing city hotel that didn't feel to business like, a relaxing hotel with great friendly and attentive staff, particular mention to the head bar man in citizen bar and Clyde the concierge, fabulous atmosphere in the cityzen bar and great individual cocktails for that late afternoon or early evening drink, The building itself very impressive and the the entrance grand as you would expect from the mandarin chain, Location good and set with great views if you pick the water view rooms, we picked the higher rooms 605 and 607 although 605 as a slightly better view, my only small down point is for the cost I would have expected the rooms to be larger however the bed extremely comfortable, room service cost a little high,

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Key West, Florida
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Great location, awesome room, accomodating concierges, wonderful dining..... Overall - the Mandarin & staff rocked... here's the downside - the pool was closed and the jacuzzi was out of order during my 4 day stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

A great hotel from which you can jog/walk around the tidal basin and take in most of the key monuments around the city. A beautifully presented hotel with a wonderful selection of restaurants, my favourite being CityZen. A wonderful hotel with superb facilities and would suggest all working on business or vacation should use. A very nice spa, swimming pool and small sized gym were perfect additions.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Lofthouses
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed February 7, 2014

For an indulgent stay in a city that doesn't do indulgence well (at least for taxpayers and travelers), try this lovely hotel that would be worthwhile even if it didn't exist in the nation's capital.

Service is clearly a plus here from an international cast that, every single one, was gracious. A bellman took my bag upstairs while I waited for a room, and hung the coat up. A waitress went out to the lobby to find a somewhat confused guest of mine. The red-coated doorman even scolded a taxi driver that drove in front of one of his guests.

Don't stay here for the convenient location, as the hotel is not close to most places a business traveler would want to go. (It is convenient to Reagan airport and the Smithsonian, but few other things you could walk to see.) Do stay for the service, as well as the beautiful views of the Washington monument and Jefferson Memorial, and a very nice workout room.

The buffet breakfast is, well, a bit like icing on the cake.

Room Tip: I didn't try the "Tai pan" rooms, but the mid-level room was plenty roomy for me, and...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank plamichigan
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

The entrance to the Mandarin Oriental is very impressive. When you check out the lounge, you will find that it is a relaxing and warm ambience. They have a variety of seating from the bar two couches and easy chairs. We sat right outside the bar where we could see the piano player entertaining the crowd. We did have one concern which was brought to the attention of the manager. She took care of the problem and offered us a complimentary cocktail. We couldn't ask for better service.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 31, 2014

During a recent trip to Washington D.C. for a training, I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental and it was just amazing from the moment I walked through the door. The hotel was 10 minute Taxi ride from Union Station. As soon as I walked into the hotel, I was awestruck by how beautiful it looked. The woman at the reception desk was kind and helpful. She even granted me a late check-out due to the timing of my training.

I walked to the elevator, through the hallways of my floor and to my room, I just could not believe this beautiful hotel offered government rate rooms. The first thing I did when I went to the room was change into my gym clothes to get a quick workout in before dinner.

The gym was very clean and had an array of cardio equipment with personal HD screens. The free weights and arm/leg machines looked very up-to-date. There was a choice of cool or room temp. water, fresh fruit and delicious teas. My quick workout turned into a wonderful, blood pumping workout. I felt like I could take on the world.

I walked back into my room pumped up and to my surprise, the turn down service had already taken place. All of the lights except one was turned off, the TV was set the hotels relaxation channel, slippers were left at the side of the bed and ice and a bottle of water awaited me. There was a relaxation card left on the bed. From that point on, all I could do was run a hot bath and relax.

The room was small but immaculate. There was a glass shower and a deep soaking tub with a robe a slipper set. The bed was comfortable andThe view was of another building but it really did not matter because the room was so amazing, the room didn't even need a window. That first night, I slept like a baby.

I woke up the early next morning and took a shower in the amazing glass shower which had excellent water pressure. A copy of USA Today was on the door nob. The hotel was located near the L'Enfant Plaza where my training was being held. I could not wait to leave for day and go back to the hotel. I walked back into the room and found looking immaculate once again.

I looked forward to another workout and this time I wanted to take advantage of the pool. I had a wonderful conversation with the staff who was restocking the towels before my workout. I guess because it was freezing outside no one wanted to take a dip in the pool. I went into the pool which was relatively warm, after three minutes two young men came in and asked if the temperature was okay. I said it could be a little warmer, low and behold, the men turned up the water temperature just for me. Talk about amazing service!

Once again I go back to room and the turn down service had already taken place. I took a nice, long bath. Relaxed and watched TV (which ALL the channels were in HD). Once again, I slept like a baby.

I am looking forward to the next time I have to go to DC for work. I would just go so that I can stay at this hotel. The service was impeccable and Asian decor was absolutely gorgeous. I hope to go when the weather is nicer just so I can take advantage of the hotel and it's proximity to the Smithsonian.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Zionsville, Indiana, United States
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a night during an on site meeting. Classy place. Very friendly and helpful staff, very roomy, comfortable and quiet room and a great shower. Very easy short hop to Reagan National. Only regret was that I could not stay longer. Would definitely consider for future trips.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business