New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia
“Exceptional luxury hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I purchased the "Puppy Love" package. On the following day, I received a phone call from the hotel; it seems they wanted to know the name of my dog!! They also gave me an early check-in and delayed check-out because of some spa treatments I had booked. Upon arrival, I was told that my room was upgraded to a water view suite.....and "sweet" it was. When doggie and I entered, we found a plush doggie bed, food and water bowls, doggie treats, and a stuffed animal. The staff treated my dog like the princess that she is. Guests receive a huge bottle of Fiji water along with a box of 5 artisan chocolates from a local DC chocolatier...YUM! The spa treatments and facility are equally as luxurious as is the hotel. If you want to treat yourself well, check out this hotel and spa!

Room Tip: Corner suites are super
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank margie4koi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I spent a romantic weekend with my wife treating ourselves to DC's best and this was a lovely part of it. The meals, and creature comforts were done with consideration and precision. I would recommend this highly to anyone that appreciates spot on hospitality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jeffry H
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights for my wife's birthday last November. Immediately upon arrival, we were floored with the beauty of the lobby. The impeccable hotel was everything you would (and should) expect from Mandarin Oriental. The friendly reception staff checked us in quickly and even offered a complimentary club access upgrade on the occasion of my wife's birthday.

When we entered the room, we were again blown away. The spacious room was gorgeous. The living area decor did not miss anything, and the room contined the hotel's opulence down to every detail. The closets could accommodate plenty of clothes, the balcony was enormous and the bathroom fit the room very well.

In our weekend at the hotel, we were able to utilize the spa and the hotel's phenomenal restaraunts. The spa experienxe was tops and all of the staff and facilities were top notch. While the restaraunt's have and deserve their own trip advisor sections, we at least want to recognize the outstanding service and food as they are part of the hotel.

The lounge was a pleasant surprise and we certainly made use of it. We were again pleased by how kind, helpful and available the staff was. The refreshments made the lounge an experience that we are likely to repeat even if not complimentary.

The only (partial) downside to the hotel is the location. While it is nearby to many museums and tourist sights, it's location tucked along the Potomac also makes it difficult to stroll out and to various neighborhoods with more local nightlife.

Altogether, we couldn't have asked for a better birthday weekend. We certainly have a place to return to for special occasions in DC. Our thanks to the fine hotel and staff!

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank MushySuitcases
Darien, Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

What a hotel. It's located a 10 minute walk from the mall and a fantastic property. The check in was speedy yet courteous. I went with my two children and they were each given a stuffed panda bear. The room was clean, comfortable and spacious. The bathroom was huge! Both a shower and a bathtub as well as a large sink.

We had a room with a city view for the 4th of July. It was a long hot day so we ordered room service and saw the fireworks from our room. This could not be beat, perfect viewing location and no crowds!

There is a train track running below the room we had but the windows had great noise insulation as we never heard a train.

Sou'western was great, my kids both tried new foods and loved them!

I did not use the spa but did walk through it to get to the pool. The spa is gorgeous and very soothing, it made me want to go there. The pool is a good size but only 4 feet deep.

If i go back to DC this will be my first choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Wandering-from-CT
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at the Mandarin Oriental in DC recently, including the 4th of July. What a location to see the fireworks! We started outside the hotel watching the fireworks but quickly realized that we could see them from our room, as our view included both the Jefferson and Washington monuments. It worked out perfectly. The hotel was very crowded with 4th of July tourists, almost too crowded. There were not enough employees to cover the overcrowding. Didn't like that the restaurant inside the hotel tried to take advantage of the holiday by having a three course meal with no a la carte options offered. Overall, it was a great 4th of July.

The location is within walking distance to the mall. Very convenient to both monuments and museums. We took cabs to dinners/lunches, which were very affordable. Typically around $10. Very quiet area of DC, close enough to mall but far enough away that it is very quiet. There is a railroad adjacent to the hotel, but it never woke me up or bothered us at all. Rooms were clean, bathrooms were very spacious.

Overall this was a great stay and I would highly recommend this hotel, especially for a 4th of July getaway.

Room Tip: If you're going for the fireworks, you can see them from your room if you face either the Jeffer...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Robert K
Lemont, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Husband had a work conference in the hotel so the girls and I tagged along with him. The service was outstanding. All the staff remembered our names and the doorman gave my two girls a stuffed panda :) The room was a double and was on the small side but beautifully decorated with a VERY nice bathroom. The pool is in the spa area and was heated but not overheated so it was nice to enjoy that. Dinner was delicious and we loved the healthy offerings. One thing I did not like was that the bar in the lobby closed down so early. The Blackhawks game was on and we wanted to celebrate with a few drinks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jltaylor0295
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Mandarin Oriental for one weekend in June 2013 for our Babymoon to enjoy a one-on-one time together before a baby#2 is here and many sleepless nights will accompany a newborn baby☺
It was such a pleasure staying here. All of my requirements were met including extra pillows. The staff is super nice and helpful! The bed is so comfy with goose down pillows. Ahh, I was in heaven!!! Will definitely be back.
P.S. Hotel is business driven and located far from nearest attractions. So be prepared to walk or just get a taxi.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple