“Dont stay here. All they know how to say is "I sincerely apologize"”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #13 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The service here was unbelievably terrible. We waited over an hour for a kettle only to not have it show up. Then we gave up and went to bed to have to wake up not long after to answer the door bell because the guy that was supposed to bring the kettle apparently had a hard time reading the persons writing that wrote the note for them downstairs. The hotel doesnt have a good view and is a good 15min away from the subway and the Smithsonian museums. There are no restaurants open close by except for the ones in the hotel and room service. The starbucks even closes early. We thought room service would be safe even though it was overpriced with the room service fee and the 19% premium fee that they charged. Apparently you cant order normal food in the hotel lounge on friday and saturday because they do a jazz night instead which is drinks and appetizers. We waited 1hr 5min for room service to be delivered to the lounge only to have to go up to our room and try and get a hold of in room dining. Finally the third time I tried to phone the front desk got the in room dining people on the phone and they claimed that they could not locate us in the lounge which is why they didnt bring anything. Clearly we were the only people waiting for dinner to be served. We had to pay $75 for stone cold second rate penne and tomato sauce. It was the WORST hotel experience I ever had. All the staff could say was "I sincerely apologize" which is what they must have been taught to say because i would ask them a question and thats how they would reply. Dont waste money as there are nicer hotels in better locations.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank CokeIsBlah

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Great hotel, excellent location - within a few blocks of the museums and sites. Stayed here with my wife and kids during Nike's Inaugural Women's Half in DC. Check-in was smooth...they even gave the kids some stuffed pandas. Staff was courteous. Food was a bit on the high end...but to be expected at this type of hotel. Would stay here again for the right price.

Had a second floor room facing the train tracks...didn't bother us one bit, noise was minimal. Valet parking was $50...Internet was $15/day - didn't even bother with it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for a week that included the 20th Anniversary of the US Holocaust Memorial Museum. As the child of two survivors, it was a difficult trip. The Spa was a welcome respite & is amazing with a vitality pool not to be missed. Staff could not have been friendlier or more accommodating. The concierges, Lynn & Jack, are amazing.

Room Tip: Away from the railroad tracks!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed with our adult daughter who flew in to run the Nike Women Half Marathon. This was the perfect location for the race, and I would stay here again simply for that. But as a huge fan of the Mandarin Oriental brand, and the San Francisco hotel in particular, I was dreadfully disappointed with our room. The bed was uncomfortable, there were throw pillows on the beds but only two thin pillows per double bed, and there was a strange odor coming from the a/c unit, not all the time but now and then. The decor was brown, lots of brown. Ugh! And instead of a presentation of nice white linens, the bed was dressed in a strange coverlet that one didn't want to touch. Be advised, Starbucks across the street is not open on Sunday mornings. The hotel has complimentary coffee, but it is an awkward set up and only has whole milk and cream. It is as if the hotel were caught in a time warp. And the lobby tables were not cleared and were full of dirty paper cups. The staff was friendly, lunch outside was nice and the food was good. The staff at the front door were discombobulated but were trying hard. Valet parking and check out were seamless. We received a special rate so we did not leave angry, but to me this does not deserve the Mandarin Oriental brand.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank f00lme0nce
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I left my bag in my car that was in valet. I went to the front desk and they called someone over to me. They asked if I would like them to pull my car around or just obtain the bag for me. I asked if they could bring it to me. In less than 10 minutes I had my bag. Great service!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2013

we just returned from two nights at the MO in DC. Proximity to the Mall and museums is great. every level of the staff from the bellman to the housekeeping is extraordinary. we had the privilege of the Tai Pei or concierge floor which was great because the club room is staffed be wonderful folks that were all about our having a nice stay and solving any issue that came up.

it is expensive but it appears that we were valued as guests. I truly hope to get back soon.

Room Tip: there is a train track that runs on the north side; we never heard anything inside the building I am...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Highly recommend this location and hotel. Nice few of the Cherry Blossom Festival fireworks right out hotel room window. Staff very pleasant. Not far from all the sites. Rooms are clean and quiet! Would stay here again. Smoke alarms went off in the early AM hours (accidental) but staff was dutifully apologetic.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business