“Excellent Service - Beautiful Clean Rooms”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #13 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I left my bag in my car that was in valet. I went to the front desk and they called someone over to me. They asked if I would like them to pull my car around or just obtain the bag for me. I asked if they could bring it to me. In less than 10 minutes I had my bag. Great service!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,952)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

we just returned from two nights at the MO in DC. Proximity to the Mall and museums is great. every level of the staff from the bellman to the housekeeping is extraordinary. we had the privilege of the Tai Pei or concierge floor which was great because the club room is staffed be wonderful folks that were all about our having a nice stay and solving any issue that came up.

it is expensive but it appears that we were valued as guests. I truly hope to get back soon.

Room Tip: there is a train track that runs on the north side; we never heard anything inside the building I am...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Highly recommend this location and hotel. Nice few of the Cherry Blossom Festival fireworks right out hotel room window. Staff very pleasant. Not far from all the sites. Rooms are clean and quiet! Would stay here again. Smoke alarms went off in the early AM hours (accidental) but staff was dutifully apologetic.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Spending 5 nights here in DC So far the hotel has been exquisite. After a so-so experience in the Mandarin in Vegas last year, I must admit I was a bit hesitant to return, but my current stay is ideal. Hotel is pricey, so beware. Location is near the Mall.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Excellent location Closest to Jefferson Memorial and Basin. 15 min walk to National Mall. Really the best place to stay when sightseeing. The hotel rooms were as nice as any 5 star rooms I have stayed in.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I've been 6 days at the Mandarin Oriental, for an event. The setting is rather good, nice view on the Washington Monument. You're a short cab ride from central DC, but note that the area right around the hotel is a desert at night - just nothing at all. Nearest subway is 5 to 10 minutes away.

Anyway, given the hotel's class, you'll probably be using cab rides. Just don't expect to dine out within walking distance. I'm saying this because the restaurant inside the hotel is pretty mediocer. Not to mean it's bad, but the price/quality ratio just doesn't cut it. No wonder: there's no competitiion around. People eat in the hotel because there's no alternative, methink.

I had a romm with access to the "Tai Pan" club. Which means, there's a nice and large lounge in the same floor as the room, with food, drinks, newspapers, all day along (24/24 I believe) and a balcony with very nice view on the Washington Monument. That alone saved the stay. Plus spa and gym. Go for it, the Tai Pan club is worth it.

Rooms are the usual American 4-star fare. Large, impeccable, large flat screen, good desk for working. Excellent rooms of course, but those are on the average for a hotel in that class and price range.

Room Tip: Take the Tai Pan club
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My fiancé bought me a half day at the spa for my birthday to use in the middle of the week. The spa was completely empty! I was the only guest and was able to use all the facilities--vitality pool, steam room, etc.--without being bothered by anyone . The treatments were nice, in each room they allow you to customize the aroma therapy and pick the lighting color. I thought that was a pretty neat touch. During the facial the fire alarm kept going off, which was my only complaint though there is not much anyone can do about it. It probably went on for 20 ,minutes of the treatment so was not exactly relaxed during that time. Overall the experience was amazing and I would definitely go back. Oh location is sort of away from everything but they do include complimentary parking for a half day so it was not a problem for me.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo