“A beautiful hotel and spa” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #18 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“A beautiful hotel and spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is one of the nicest and most responsive hotels I have stayed in. I wouldn't have been able to afford it if someone else weren't footing the bill -- but any time I have a chance to stay in the hotel again I will take it! The rooms are very nice, and clean. The hotel asked for feedback about the stay and responded promptly. The spa -- the pool and the hot tub/sauna/etc area was one of the nicest I have experienced in a city hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Charles Town, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I checked in on a Sunday for a business meeting on Monday and Tuesday.
I found everything to be first class and frankly enjoyed the fact that there were not big crowds at the checkin or check out and never had to wait for our car more than a minute or two.
I enjoyed the meals we had and the service was what one expects in a 5 star hotel...
We will most certainly stay here the next time in D.C.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel itself generally lives up to its 5-star ranking. However, the location between government offices and the fish market is less than desirable in terms of being able to walk to any nearby shops or restaurants since there aren't really any close by. The area is completely deserted after 5PM and on weekends when the government buildings are closed. The staffing at the restaurant during breakfast is also lacking in terms of numbers as the wait for a table was long (there were about 20 people ahead of us(, and even when some tables opened up it took them 10 minutes to clean and re-set them. There simply wasn't enough wait staff on hand to tend to a busy breakfast room.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

The M.O. is very close to The Mall and just across the tidal basin with most of the monuments a short stroll away; service is top notch as you'd expect from Mandarin and the pool must be one of the best in the city. Lynn the concierge and Kijean will look after guests..I was indeed pampered during my stay.
At night there's not much nearby in terms of entertainment but just take a cab. For those who like running nothing beats the Tidal basin across the hotel, unfortunately I visited in late March and it was still very cold so the Cherry tress were not in blossom yet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the water.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Not sure if i just got lucky, but I got what I expect from a Mandarin Oriental at about half the price. The room was immaculate and the bed was extraordinarily comfortable. Restaurant was excellent and though the location is great, its still kind of out of the way, if that makes sense. Concierge was knowledgable and very helpful. I've used this chain before and was not at all disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

After reading some of the other reviews I need to post my own because I must have stayed somewhere else then some of these people. We arrived early and they did not have a room yet but allowed us to use the TaiPan club until our room was ready and we also did some site seeing along the way.

As far as the room it was a great room, I was amazed at how quiet it was as we only heard the train and sirens a few times.

Staff wise, the front desk and bellmen were more than friendly and helpful, at no point did we feel like a visitor, but more if a personal guest. The staff at the TaiPan club were outstanding. Monica and Adhem could not have been more helpful and friendly, both going out of their way to help with reservations and drinks.

I have stayed at many various levels of hotels and this one is by far one of the nicest ones I have stayed in.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brentwood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Upon checking in from a loooooong flight and around 10:30 p.m., I was greeted by the doorman with a smile, yes a smile and man it was cold out too. Believe me, I wouldn’t have been smiling if I was the doorman. I would have been looking for a trash can to use for a fire. Anyway, as I walked towards the counter to check-in, I could see the agent making eye contact and seeing the pain of tiresome on my face. She greeted me accordingly and commenced to check-in. During this process she stopped and walked towards a box. She pulled out a face towel and place on a beautiful dish. She walked back over and presented the dish to me with a pair of tongs. I picked up towel and held it. It was a hot facial towel. She told me it was to refresh me from my long journey. WOW!! “You had me at hello.” Let’s just say that this property has everything a 6-Star property would have. Rooms, property, décor, staff, housekeeping, and the face towel are beyond one’s imagination on what a 6-Star Service would be like. I’m cutting my review short because I’m heading back down to the lobby for a facial towel! Just kidding…I would highly recommend this property if you’re in DC on vacation. All the monumental sites are in walking distance.

Room Tip: All Rooms are GREAT!