“unmet expectations” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia
“unmet expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I celebrated my birthday there. We had eaten at their Cityzen restaurant before and thought it would be nice to spend the evening at the hotel rather than drive home after dinner. We had earlier in the year celebrated my wife's birthday at the Mandarin in Munich. The one in DC did not match the elegance or service of that hotel, and I don't understand why it is even part of the Mandarin chain. We had paid for a TaiPan room, which provides access to a club where snacks and drinks are available. The snacks were quite ordinary. The buffet breakfast the following morning was also just a basic selection. The hotel was not awful, but it does not come close to the standards of other MO properties where we've stayed. Cityzen, however, remains a great restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Tampa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have never stayed at a Mandarin property and was so excited to go visit. When I arrived, I have never been so underwhelmed by a "luxury" hotel in my life. It seems almost as if everyone who works there is operating in a fog. The lobby is nice but nothing magnificent, check in was quick and that was the only positive thing about this stay. When I got to my room, I looked around, considered the price I was paying and thought, you have really got to be kidding me.
We asked several times many different staff the hours of the restaurants, no one knew anything.
I have stayed at Hyatt Place hotels for $89 that offers better amenities and service than this hotel. Biggest issue however was the hotel security. We were woken by someone trying to get in our room, they were able to open the door (what about a secure key?) thank goodness we had the deadbolt on. When I reported it to the front desk, I actually got a blank stare. Never will I stay at another Mandarin Property; it was an utter waste of money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TastyTraveler7
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

This was my forth visit to this hotel, and I am impressed each time. The staff are all personable & polite. The general manager came out personally to greet us when the reception desk clerk learned that we had stayed at the MO in Bermuda. ( thank you, Kijean Dill) The room we had faced the Potomac & the Jefferson Memorial, so the view was lovely. (They offered us an upgrade at no extra charge.) The rooms are beautifully appointed in a contemporary style. And the amenities are wonderful. The gym is clean and offers a variety of machines. Fruit & water are available for those exercising. The pool is always the perfect temperature. The spa has a hot tub, the Amethyst steam room, and shower rooms, robes etc. I highly recommend this hotel and the entire MO chain to anyone who wishes an extraordinary experience

Room Tip: While often pricey, this hotel often provides special rates. Take advantage of all that DC has to of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
La Canada Flintridge, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is an average business hotel, no more, no less. Which was disappointing as my favorite hotels to stay at in Asia are the M.O. properties. Compared to the Landmark M.O. in Hong Kong, for example, the Washington DC property does not even seem like the same chain. Rooms are decently (average) sized but none of the things that you get at other M.O.'s such as turndown service or bottled water (I received turndown service on evening, and did not the next). The wireless internet service is unreliable, and keeps going out, forcing you to continuously reconnect and put in your password. The clothes iron was also gross, with calcium deposits that I had to clean out of the steam vents before using it. There was a little bit of dust on the headboard above my bed, but the room was otherwise clean. In the morning, the coffee station was out of coffee and no one was checking, so I had ask several employees before they finally refilled it. Also, I never received my newspaper in the morning, although I had specifically requested one. None of these things are a big deal by themselves, but taken together, it shows that this property is not as well-run as their sister hotels elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mike-lcf
Palmerston North, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

The facilities and rooms are at par with other Mandarin Hotels across the world. The hotel itself is somewhat isolated, and one needs to walk to the nearest subway station, about >5 minutes. If you are in Washington DC for a conference at the Convention Centre, there is a change of trains at ?Metro Station or is it Gallery Place. The area is a bit deserted at night, specially if one comes back in the wee hours. There are fabulous views of a monument (I think mine was the Jefferson Memorial) at night. The only glitch during my stay was that I was charged for 7 days of internet service when I only stayed for 5 nights. On the 3rd day of my stay, I noticed the charge in my bank account and went to the duty manager who referred me to someone in the accounts section who was only available the next day, etc etc (more bureaucracy than applying for a visa!). Finally gave up. They also give a fabulous buffet high tea.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is our 4th stay at the Mandarin to celebrate our anniversary. I noticed some distinct differences from our last trip when we were upgraded to a suite after booking a tai pan level- room, and receiving a complimentary bottle of champagne. Neither of those happened this year. I know I should not expect "freebies", however, our loyalty to this hotel among the hundred+ in the DC area should account for something? We upgraded to a suite on our own and walked away with a hefty hotel bill (which should be expected). Anyway, the spa was wonderful, as usual. Room service was great. We went to CityZen last year, but opted to stay in this year. Good time overall.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I and guest have now stayed at the M.O. on 5 separate occasions since about June, 2012, with my most recent stay the weekend of Feb. 2. Through the friendly and helpful efforts of Tim Harleth (I believe Tim to be the Assistant Manager) Tim has arranged beautiful rooms that fully accommodated each of my parties. The hotel is beautiful and all the service, from bell persons, to car parks, to housekeeping, and certainly front desk personnel has been as crisp and friendly as I have ever experienced. Bravo Tim and Co!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the water are to my preference.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends