“Marvelous hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
“Marvelous hotel”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

As a native Washingtonian, I was skeptical about this hotel's location, but discovered that the Southwest sector of the city had been transformed. Proximity to the Smithsonian museum complex is a plus. The hotel building is beautiful and overlooks the Washington marina. The rooms are modern and well appointed. The bathrooms are large and luxurious. The large indoor pool is wonderful and the spa offers a variety of services. Dining at the Sou'wester restaurant was a real treat. Best of all was the amazing service. I had bought a book and was using the sales slip as a bookmark. When I arrived in my room one evening, I found a Mandarin Oriental bookmark placed on top of my book. The one downside is the train track that runs directly behind the hotel. The earplugs I always travel with bailed me out (train service began at 4:30 a.m.).

Room Tip: Because a train track runs behind the hotel, ask for a room on the highest floor you can get.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank PhDTigress
MO_Washington, Public Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear "PhDTigress,"

Many thanks for taking the time to enjoy the hotel and to re-discover the Southwest area of D.C. We can assure you that the area is preparing for more development, so we hope that you will return to see the growth and revitalization that is being planned.

We do appreciate you taking the time to highlight the "moments of delight" that our colleagues strive to provide, and enjoy when our guests point those out - your comments make it directly to the entire hotel to share with their respective departments.

Please come back to visit again.

Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I went to Washington for a getaway weekend. I thought it would be fun to have pretty, panoramic, iconic views for this stay. I booked a special water view room that was $525 a night. Expensive but I had heard that Mandarin Oriental really understood luxury so I felt sure that they would make the splurge worthwhile.
I could not have been more wrong.
I checked in on Friday evening. The nice lady at the check-in said, "You are only with us for one night?" To which I replied loud and clear, "No, there must be a mistake, I am staying until Sunday morning." She looked at her computer and said, "My mistake."
I was not offered a bellman to take up my bag which surprised me but in fact I only had a small bag so that was fine.
I arrived in the room which did have a very pretty view of the basin, Lincoln Memorial and some kind of marina. The room was not on a high floor as I had asked but high enough to appreciate the vista.
I took a bath before going out and was surprised turning on the tap to get sprayed by the tub's shower. Obviously the cleaning lady had left it at the shower setting after cleaning the tub. Really unpleasant surprise.
The bath itself seemed very dated and in need of recaulking. The venetian shades in the bathroom looked more appropriate for an office than a luxury bathroom.
The toiletries are Gilchrist and Soames and not luxurious and exclusive at all.
I went down to the bar to meet a friend for a drink. No one was there to lead me to a table, the place was packed and clearly understaffed by rather unpolished waitstaff. I made my way to the only table that was outside, which was fine, and ordered a martini. Waiter was gone before I had a chance to say if I wanted it dry, dirty, with a twist... wow, they read minds?
I had room service delivered to my room that night. I asked, as a vegetarian, for a fried rice with tofu instead of meat, I was told, no problem, and then it arrived with pork and tofu!!
And lukewarm. No flowers on table, no bread. Incredibly basic.
Next morning I went out at 9 AM for a run expecting room to be cleaned by the time I returned (no sign available on door to ask for servicing btw) at 11AM- nope.
Went out to lunch and returned to find room being cleaned at 4PM!!
I went down to pool area to wait for my room to be cleaned. Pool is very much an afterthought. No music, no ambiance, one little door open to the outdoors to a very lackluster patio. Spa is much nicer and the hot tub was nice although in this day and age I think it's sad not to have a mixed-sex spa tub. Unless you're having a mother-daughter weekend who wants to sit in a single sex tub?
Needed to get on interned and found out that Mandarin Oriental charges a fee for this. Lots of places to do but when you are spending that kind of money don't you think they could throw in the internet connection? So cheesy.
Back from the pool my key no longer worked so I went down to the desk and asked for it to be fixed. Desk man fixed it without comment.
I was in the bath at 7:30 PM getting ready to go out when they came by for turndown service. Asked them come back in an hour. They never returned.
At 2 AM a loud banging on the door woke me up. I nearly died of fright (well, not really, but you can imagine). It was security announcing I was illegally occupying the room and should have left the day before. Mystery of non-functioning key now clear to me but why desk clerk didn't catch it at 5PM instead of 2AM we will never know.
I explained that it was the front desk's mistake and that I always intended on staying 2 nights and not one.
The next morning when I went to check out I asked for an explanation of events. I was met with great defensiveness and only the most lukewarm and insincere apology. Certainly no refund or rebate was offered. I was completely offended by their attitude.
There was a man lurking about during this exchange and as an afterthought the desk clerk asked this man, a limo driver, to take me to the airport "for the normal charge of a taxi". How generous!! This creep took me to the airport and had the gall to charge me $25 which was $10 more than the cab charged me go from the airport to the hotel.
Talk about one final kick in the teeth!
I was going to have dinner at the hotel's restaurant, just for conveniences sake, but after the cocktails arrived 20 minutes after the almost inedible oysters (full of grit, lukewarm, and a tasteless variety - only type offered), we decided to go elsewhere.
I was completely unimpressed by the decor, the inexperience and poor training of the staff (who seemed in general a nice if hapless lot), and the general lack of warmth and luxury.
Something is dreadfully wrong with this property. I don't know if it is a problem only with this hotel or across the board with the chain but it certainly takes it off my list of hotel brands to consider when I travel.

Room Tip: Corner Rooms with a view are hampered by extremely busy rail traffic RIGHT below. Trains literally r...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank cicirider
Dear "Cicirider,"

We are very sorry that your stay did not meet your standards, or those that we endeavor to provide.

We have reached out to you personally to discuss your review, and look forward to sharing Mandarin Oriental with you in the near future.

Kind regards and safe travels,

New Jersey
Reviewed May 21, 2012

The Mandarin Oriental is a beautiful property. The grounds are well maintained, the decor is consistent and appealing, and the staff is very accomodating. The rooms are very well appointed, spacious, and quiet. The bathrooms are marble with separate shower and soaking tub. We stayed over Easter and the staff put together an excellent Easter egg hunt. The Sou' Wester restaurant is an excellent choice for breakfast. The hotel is in close proximity to the Smithsonian Castle and related museums. The neighborhood is largely comprised of government office buildings and lacks dining options outside of the hotel. A little careful planning can alleviate some of the stress with finding dining options away from the hotel. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank soul_surfer
Dear "Soul_surfer,"

Many thanks for taking the time to post about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.

We do appreciate you sharing your experience and highlighting the areas and services that you enjoyed.

We hope to welcome you back when your travels next include the DC area.

Toronto Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed for six nights in September 2011 while attending a conference in the hotel. We had a deluxe room on the 9th floor.

The room was everything one would expect from the Mandarin Oriental chain. The bedding, room design and furniture were gorgeous and high quality. The bathroom was exceptional and featured a large soaker tub and large shower. Normally I don't pay attention to the toiletries, but the Gilchrist and Soames spa products are very nice.

We ate in the Sou-Wester restaurant one night and were very satisfied with the quality of the meal. The service is impeccable.

The location is a bit off the beaten track, about a fifteen minute walk to the Mall and subway. We felt safe walking from the mall to the hotel, even at night. There are a few cafes right next to the hotel serving breakfast and lunch.

We had gotten an amazing room rate because of the conference we were attending (less than half the posted rate). We would certainly stay here again, budget allowing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dalight
Dear "Dalight,"

Thank you for your patronage and for taking the time to share with us about your recent stay.

We value the feedback we receive from our guests and use all the commentary received to better serve the guests that follow.

We do hope to have the pleasure of your company in the near future.

Kind regards and safe travels,

Denver, CO
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I thought this location was going to be great. It was just ok. The big issue was you were just not close to anything else at night. A Starbucks and a deli are on the circle where the hotel is and that is about it. I did discover how to get to the Waterfront the last day I was there (take elevator to bottom floor, exit back of building, turn left, walk about a block, and turn right to go into the tunnel). Several eating options were there, but did not try any.

Rooms were nice, but not all that great. The bathroom was lovely and I like it when the tub and shower are seperate.

I called the At Your Service line one afternoon and was on hold for 5 minutes. I finally hung up and walked down to the front desk to get my questioned answered.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PumpkinDenver_CO
Dear "PumpkinDenver_CO,"

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us, regarding your recent stay.

We do value your comments and will consider your critique as areas that we can improve upon for future guests.

Atlanta
Reviewed May 17, 2012

At premium rates, you expect fresh, fluffy towels, high thread count sheets, and an attentive, well trained and unobtrusive staff...and you get them. While in the city, this is a quiet location, south of the Mall overlooking a bay off the Potomac. The lobby - and the entire hotel and conference area - is tasteful, opulent, yet not overpowering. The decor relies on deft touches of brilliance rather than overpowering excess. Lighting in all areas is utterly inspired. I want that designer for my house! This is a large hotel yet it feels more like a boutique property. Every spot holds a delight for the eye.

One potential downside is the location. It is a convenient taxi ride to most places; the Mall, Dept of Agriculture and main Smithsonian building are 3 blocks away (as is the Smithsonian Metro station). However, the "busy" part of the city such as K street, the well known restaurants, tourist attractions mean cab or Metro ride. My impression of the guests during my stay was that most were there for political business at the Capitol. Unless you are a dedicated hoofer, this isn't the location to start a walking tour. Of course, this is what makes the location delightfully peaceful. It is across from the Washington Marina.

The room was spacious and well appointed. The bathroom had a separate shower and tub, Small nit: no in room coffee. This seems to be custom in the higher end hotels, but I hate dealing with people, even room service, before my coffee. There is a minibar and refrigerator; and thankfully, bottled water. The tap water is not great. Turn down service was noteworthy.

I never saw the hotel staff, but every evening, I returned to a room with bed turned down, foot mat on the floor next to the bed, bathrobe laid out and laundry and shoe service prepared. A fresh bottle of water and glass were on the nightstand next to the bed. Another thoughtful touch is an umbrella in the closet. The bed itself was very comfortable, although the pillows were all of the same type. If you like down, then you're good to go.

The spa is on a floor of its own and features subdues lighting, locker rooms, pool, weights and cardio. I did not check all the services available, but the number of staff suggests they are extensive. However, the elliptical I used while there was mediocre in design, but nice looking, so form may take precedence over function.

While I had no opportunity to sample the restaurants, the food associated with my meeting was excellent. There is no reason to expect anything less from the restaurants or room service. The meeting rooms themselves were designed to the same standard as the residence part of the hotel, and very nice.

Room Tip: There likely isn;t a bad room in the hotel. I prefer those with a view of the marina, but landscapi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 94Q45T
Dear "94Q45T,"

Thank you for taking the time to share such a comprehensive review of your recent stay! We always enjoy when our guests have the chance to sample all facets of the hotel's offerings, and you've touched just about every area.

We do know that it's one more step, post trip, to post something positive, and we truly appreciate the effort.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed one night, ate in the lounge and in one of the restaurants and had a massage at the spa. The Spa was fantastic and we definitely received great service. The food was very good - had a light lunch in the lounge and the breakfast buffet in the morning. It is not far from the museums but definitely not in a night time hot spot, but it is DC, we took cabs to go out for dinner and drinks. Great water views. Our room was nice, we had a regular room, not one of the suites. The bathroom was AMAZING, it was almost the same size as our room and had a spa tub. Nice turn down service at night and the bed was sooooo comfortable. I did not want to get up.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear "LaWoods,"

Many thanks for a lovely review of your recent stay and for taking the time to post about all of the items that you enjoyed.

We are especially thrilled to hear from our guests and your review was concise and positive - which we will happily share with the restaurant and spa teams.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company in the very near future.

Kind regards,