“Less bang for the buck”

Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Ranked #14 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental the last weekend in October for his birthday. Both of us travel extensively, and have stayed in fine 4 and 5 star hotels, so using that as a point of reference, our expectations were high. The hotel itself is lovely, with a beautiful view of the Jefferson Memorial. The bathroom/shower was wonderful. Service was great and attentive. We ate at Cafe MoZu, which was nice, if not overpriced. However, one issue was the hotel's location. It is within walking distance to the major sites - the Smithsonian museums, the Mall, the metro stop - which was great. However, there were no restaurant options nearby - unless we wanted to walk a distance, take a cab, or eat at the restaurants in the hotel. This was disappointing. Internet connection and cell phone reception in the room was spotty (not good if you're working). Another drawback was the bed - a large king bed that was hard as a board, and the turn-down service gave 2 flat feather pillows (1 for each of us) which was not comfortable. We've stayed in "lower ranked" hotels like Marriott, Westin, etc. that have much more comfortable beds - and after a full day of walking and site seeing (and in our case, trying to stay dry from downpour rain), it would have been nice to flop in a luxurious bed. Overall, we were not impressed and overpaid for a mediocre hotel experience.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Travelgirl7824
There are newer reviews for Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC

Reviewed October 5, 2007

First let me say that I love the Mandarin Oriental hotels and it is literally my favorite chain. At this DC site, our room and especially the bathroom was spectacular (large, all marble, and immaculate). We got a suite facing the potomac river and key DC monuments which was grand. I visited the hotel spa which was luxurious from check in - they take your shoes, offer you lychee infused water, and a little orchid flower on a serving tray (expect to pay a premium for services as prices are at the higher end of the scale for DC). The only negative I have for visitors is that this hotel is not an easy walking distance to what's happening in DC, however if you have a car or don't mind taking a cab to the city's attractions, this is a great hotel. Also I felt the lobby itself was not too impressive, however since the rooms were so nice I didn't mind since this is more important to me.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ObjectiveReviewer2
Reviewed September 25, 2007

I was a little wary based on the mixed reviews, but the Mandarin Oriental in Washington lives up to the fine tradition of this high end chain of hotels. Rooms transport you to Asia with silk touches, especially the raw silk semi-tranparent shades on the windows; and large bathrooms have all amenities. Service at the front desk was efficient, and after checking you in the desk clerk escorts you himself to your room - nice touch. No unwelcomed interruptions from hotel staff. All employees were unfailingly polite, including bellman and front door guys.

Only complaint was slow and somewhat confused service at the outside terrace cafe, but it wasn't that bad.

The location is a little challenging yet convenient once you get the hang of it - you should get a simple map of the area before you go. However, if you ask for directions at the front desk to any attraction they will give you the most direct route (could have saved me an long trip to Georgetown if I had asked the first time...)

Highly recommend and will try to come back.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank nyme
Reviewed September 22, 2007

My husband and I decided to do a local getaway for our 17th anniversary. This is a pricey but fabulous hotel with impeccable customer service. The room was small, but beautifully decorated. Bathroom was very luxurious. A tray of fresh fruit awaited us on arrival. Oddly, instead of a chocolate on our bed at turn down service, we received a card with the "Ask not what your country can do for you..." quote from JFK written on it. Most impressive was the sound insulation. Although within a stone's throw of National Airport - we could not hear any planes taking off or landing, although we saw them coming and going all day. The only real down side was the parking service. After calling for our car to be brought from the parking lot, it became clear that the garage didn't quite know where they had put it. They first encouraged us to get in a waiting car that was not ours, then spent another 30 minutes trying to find the right one. Other than that, we had a great time and would gladly return.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jayMetroDC
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We decide to to visit DC in September, the weather was good, the hotel was nice looking, the lobby and resturants were decent. The room looked like an average room, not like the price you pay for it....the room had no coffee maker, there was no movie channel on the tv, room service for two half decent meals was over $120, parking your car was $40 a night!! No ice maching in the hallway, had to call down for some ice. Cityzen resturant that was located in the hotel had a 2 week in advance booking if we wanted to eat there. The hotel is located downtown, beside the Tidal Basin, in a very remote area, need to drive to a resturant or cab it, same goes for shopping. Needless to say, the bathroom was amazing, very large shower. If I had to do this again, I'd book at the Hilton or Sheraton, you would get the same room but with all the amenitites.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TrenTraveller
Reviewed August 27, 2007

I spent hours and hours pouring over internet reviews before I booked this hotel for our Honeymoon night. We were married in July 2007 in the DC area - although both my wife and I are from out of town.

We checked in rather late, given the evening wedding festivities..and on arrival, the bellboy was there to greet us and take us to our suite.

The view was wonderful (I upgraded to a romance package - including breakfast and a view of the Jefferson Memorial), and the bathroom was OUT OF THIS WORLD!! The wonderful granite/marble and glass enclosed shower were excellent - but the most wonderful part was the soaker tub.

Great amenities in the bathroom and closet (including an umbrella).

We had breakfast in the room, and although very expensive ($80 for toast, jam, peanut butter, tea and coffee), the cost was covered by our package.

I am sure that this hotel would be wonderful for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Airbus_Guy
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I just returned from staying at the Mandarin and it was wonderful! I know others pointed out the the hotel's service was mediocre, but that is far from the truth. We ordered room service twice and it took about 20 mins to arrive. The room service was amazing. The food was hot and delicious. We also tested out the Concierge quite a lot, and he/she always came through.
My friend and I used the spa, although pricey, it was defintely worth it. My deep tissue massage was great and soothing. The men and female lounges both had scented steam rooms, saunas, whirlpools, and a variety of showers.
The room was very clean, and the bathroom spotless. The shower was large with a thermostat, and the tub was quite big and roomy. Everyone was helpful at the hotel and even remembered our names. I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple