“Exceeded Expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 37 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Exceeded Expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Taft Bridge Inn for three nights while touring DC. Our only regret is that we did not stay longer. The number 42 bus that stops at the White House was only two blocks from the Inn. The Dupont Metro entrance was six blocks. This made getting around a snap. Accomdations and hostess Jennifer were top notch. Although we did not have any out of the ordinary needs on this trip, we were assured by Jennifer that she would help us if we did. This is not a place where you come to watch TV. Too many things to see and do.
Hope to return sometime.

Room Tip: We prefer a street view room
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We loved our stay at Taft Bridge Inn. The "stick with you all morning" breakfast was perfect each day. The staff was most friendly and helpful. They were eager to help out with touring ideas, directions, bus and metro info, etc and of course lots of interesting useless trivia. It is located in a quiet, safe neighborhood, about 5 minute walk to metro with numerous venues for eating drinking in the area without having to go too far at night.

New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

First, I would return to this B+B, despite a few criticisms. Unless you want to be right by the White House or next to a Metro station, the location is very good. The street is quiet. The house is impressive. My hostess (whose name I have forgotten) was very nice and cooked a good breakfast. It will not be confused with a great breakfast, but I was happy that she provided one at all since my days began early, before the stated hour for breakfast. My room (the smallest offered) was very small. There was room for a perfectly adequate bed and a desk. I also had a closet. Two bathrooms were available down the hall - one with a tub and wrap-around shower curtain and one with a walk in shower. I haver had any trouble getting access when I wanted it. DC was warm when I was there and the window AC unit was adequate. So, while there was nothing wonderful about this B&B, I felt comfortable and the price was right. I have often gotten better rooms for only a little more by bidding on Priceline - at the Mayflower, the Omni or the Marriott - but when that doesn't work out, I would certainly try to get my room at the Taft Bridge.

Room Tip: If traveling alone and you don't need a private bath, a single room is a good value.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Taft Bridge Inn for 4 nights on a recent vacation trip to Washington, D.C. We loved returning to the warmth and coziness of an historic home at the end of our busy days of sightseeing. Our room (#15) was inviting with its four poster queen bed, two comfortable wingback chairs, and antique dresser. All the staff and the owner were friendly and helpful giving us suggestions about transportation, places to visit, and restaurants in the area. When we decided to stay an extra day resulting in our need to switch rooms, the staff moved our luggage while we were out, placing it neatly in the closet of our new room. We were also very pleased with the location of the Inn. There were numerous options for restaurants within easy walking distance plus we also walked to the National Zoo. Bus service was within a couple of blocks and this became our preferred method of transportation for traveling to and from the National Mall. We had driven on this trip and were glad to be able to park our vehicle on the property during our stay. However, parking space is limited and a request for parking needs to be made when making a reservation. Another advantage of the location was that it was very easy to find and to access when entering the area from the northwest on I-70. We looked forward each morning to the freshly prepared breakfasts, with a different special each day in addition to a few standards. The communal breakfast table was a great place to meet other guests from around the country and the world. We had some interesting discussions plus received additional suggestions on restaurants and sites to visit. Overall, we had a wonderful stay at the Taft Bridge Inn, would stay there again, and would recommend it to others planning a visit to Washington D.C.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #15 which was the first room at the top of the stairs on the second floor. I init...
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Came to DC for a quick three-day conference and could not find any decently priced hotel in the area as there were lots of things going on in the city that week. Looked into B&Bs instead and found positive reviews about Taft Bridge Inn and I can also add to the praises. The home is quaint, charming and clean, the staff are friendly and the location is perfect (less than 10 minute walk to Dupont Circle metro). The breakfasts were absolutely delicious although a bit later than ideal for me as I had to wake up early to get to my conference sessions on time but I still managed to squeeze in the meals. One small negative was that my room was in the front of the house, so any time the front door open and closed, I could hear everything (slamming, voices, etc.) which woke me up a few times on occasion when people came in late. The other thing was that there was no desk in the room so it was difficult for me to work in the mornings/evenings but it was a minor inconvenience.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
st. peters, mo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

On my recent trip to visit Washington, DC my brother and I stayed at the TBI. The price and location were right, but of course I wondered if it would be okay. I was thrilled to find the place way above my expectations. Yoshi the host was very welcoming and helpful, the rooms were comfortable and cozy and the whole place is spotless. Jennifer, the innkeeper took excellent care of us, offering up a wonderful breakfast every morning, with delicious coffee, an array of tea choices and water infused with lemon and mint. There is a nice parlor on the first floor for all to enjoy, as well as a small sitting area outside our bedroom on the third floor. A refridgerator on the third floor offers a place to store perishables and an opportunity to buy water and soda. When the outside temperature dropped suddenly, we were provided with a nice portable radiator and our room was warmed up for us while we were out. I can't say enough about how wonderful this place is. The surrounding neighborhood is upscale and very safe and the White house is only 3 miles away. It's a short walk to eateries both on 18th street and near Du Pont circle. There is a bus stop nearby which will take you downtown and it's only a $15 cab ride to the White House.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

This hotel is a place to stay if you want to feel at home while traveling. The building and rooms have a personality that is inviting and welcoming. The breakfasts made and served right in front of you are delicious and add that extra touch that makes you want to come back. The drawback of the place is that it is an old building that requires one to deal with suitcases dragged up and down the stairs as there is no elevator. The cooling/heating system is of the old type that cannot deliver the comfort of a well regulated temperature. Overall, though, I would pick this hotel over all other older hotels in DC.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are best if you cannot walk up the stairs as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business