“Great Times At Warner Theater”

The National Theatre
Ranked #112 of 430 things to do in Washington DC
Alexandria, Virginia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great Times At Warner Theater”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

There's really no bad seat in the house. I've seen plays, concerts, etc., there many times and have never been disappointed. The prices are steep of course and they do let you bring your refreshments to your seats. Just hope the person next to you isn't drunk and doesn't spill anything on you, like what happened to me a few times.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank KCS1958

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Do Not Sit in a Box! Do Not Take Young Children to West Side Story”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

I have been to the National many times and always loved it. However, this time was an exception. We won Executive Star Box seats at a school auction for West Side Story. Because of a stack of about 8 speakers, 1/3 to 1/2 of the stage is blocked from view at all times. We missed many scenes entirely. I believe it is wrong of the National to even sell these boxes. The view is just too obscured!

After seeing the West Side Story movie many times, I thought it would be appropriate for my 8 and 12 year old granddaughters. On stage, many scenes are more sexual and raw which makes it very inappropriate for children. The music and dancing were wonderful. It is too bad the director thought it necessary to make it so edgy.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Sandy C
South Dakota
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Mama Mia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

Terrific show in a historical venue. The seating is comfortable but I warn you that you will have more leg room flying coach! Take in a show.

Visited March 2014
Ocean View, Delaware
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Historical building with top rated entertainment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Located smack downtown DC, the National Theater is a national historic landmark. Sadly, tours are not given during off hours. However, if you have the opportunity to partake in watching a stage production, you will enjoy your experience. Seats are comfortable and well spaced. The only "down" is that there are no bathrooms at street level, only up or down stairs. Visit their web site it get detailed information on the abundance of parking spaces and restaurants in their vicinity.

Visited November 2013
Kensington, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not disabled or elderly friendly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

I had a horrible experience taking my 86 year old disabled mother to see the matinee of Porgy and Bess yesterday. National Theatre is not disabled or elderly friendly. There is no valet or on street handicapped parking available. When I called to get information on the best place for handicapped parking, there was no information on handicapped parking and there was no one to speak to about handicapped parking. The recording directs you to the website, which talks about parking garages and metered parking, etc., but not handicapped parking. There was no available street parking so we chose the closest parking garage to the theater to park in. There is minimal handicapped parking available in that garage, and we were forced to park in the lowest level because handicapped parking was full. My mother would have had to climb 2 flights of stairs just to get to the level with the handicapped parking, so we were forced to walk up 2 ramps. Once we got to the handicapped parking level, the signage to National Theatre pointed to STAIRS!! There was an unmarked freight elevator, which we took that up to the lobby of the office building next to the theater.

After the performance, the guard in the building housing the garage was directing people to the stairs down to the garage because she claimed the freight elevator was "out". Just to get to the handicapped parking level required going down 2 flights of stairs. I complained, as did other numerous theater patrons, and I forced the guard to let my mother sit in a chair behind the guard desk as my mother was not able to go down the 3 flights of stairs to get to our parking level. In fact, there was a combination lock on the door to the lowest level of parking and I was lucky enough that the guard gave me the combination. Other patrons parked on that level were not given the code to get to their car.

After waiting 25 minutes in line to get out of the garage, I had to double park in front of the building and I found my mother waiting outside in the cold and dark. The security guard disappeared after numerous people complained and because she did, my mother -- who is 86 -- was worried I would not be able to get in the building to retrieve her.

We both loved "Porgy and Bess". We both hate National Theatre. I take my mother to the theater a few times a year, and we will NEVER go to National Theatre again. I recommend Arena Stage for elderly and disabled patrons -- they are extremely disabled and elderly friendly.

Visited December 2013