“nice find on Georgia Avenue”
Review of Chez Billy - CLOSED

Chez Billy
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: On Georgia Ave. between Quincy St. & Randolph St.
Transit: We are located one block north of the Georgia Ave - Petworth Metro stop off of the Green & Yellow lines.
Description: http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/youngandhungry/2012/04/17/petworth-goes-parisienne-chez-billy-now-open-on-georgia-ave/
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“nice find on Georgia Avenue”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

In a rapidly gentrifying area of Georgia Avenue, Chez Billy offers incredible French cuisine in a great setting. Choose the outside cafe with the atmosphere of a beer garden, the well-appointed bar or the interior restaurant. Plus an upstairs with intimate seating. Each one, unified in design, offers a slightly different dining experience. My daughter and I sat in the downstairs restaurant and, contrary to another review, found the waitstaff informative and attentive. Now the food: the mussels -- always a difficult dish to get just right -- was wonderful and plentiful enough to share. We also split two entrees, a salad and an incredibly rich sweetbread pate. Skipped dessert -- no room. I will definitely be back.

• Visited May 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“Inedible Food”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had friends who had been to this restaurant and enjoyed it, so I was excited to try it with friends on a recent Friday evening. What a disappointing experience.

Our experience did not begin on a positive note: the hostess could not have been less interested in helping us, despite us having a reservation. She was totally aloof and seemed irritated that we had arrived early and wanted a drink at the bar before taking our table. Thankfully, the bartender was more welcoming. Our server at dinner was certainly more pleasant than the hostess and reasonably attentive.

You go to a restaurant for the food, however, and that's where this restaurant failed. My two friends thought their dishes were fine, but my dish--steak frites--was totally inedible. It was truly one of the worst dishes I have ever been served at a Washington restaurant; I ate about an eigth of the meal. The steak tasted like leather; it was gritty, fatty, and cooked far beyond what I ordered. The frites were soggy, droopy, and cold. Completely disgusting and nowhere near worth what I was charged.

I wanted to like it, but food like I was served is an embarassment to the chef. I won't be returning.

• Visited May 2013
“Excellent Steak”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

These guys know how to do a good steak frites. 3 out of 4 times I've had the steak it's been mouthwateringly amazing. Their brunch burger was once also phenomenal, but has since fallen off. Make sure you get the pot au creme chocolate because, well. it's a pot of chocolate.

• Visited April 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great food BUT service staff TALK about diners in earshot behind their back!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Let me start by saying that the food is fantastic, if I have to rate on food only, the food is 4 stars. The two stars is for the particular waitress who dealt with our table. I live in the neighbourhood, and decided to try it. I love the fact that the owner Eric and Ian Hilton chose this historic significance place for a bistro. Billy Simpson's Steak and Seafood Place was a popular hangout place for African Americans even when segregation was ending, it opened in 1956 and closed in 1978, many Africans intellectuals, journalist, diplomas, entertainers, government officials frequented it.

OK come back to the present time. I like the bar most, with the high ceilings, but they now have a beer garden at the back, but I don't like it as much because it has a roof and the color is very dark, it feel trapped, I like a open space. Let's talk about the good thing first. The chef and the kitchen team done a really good job. My Foie de Lapin was creamy and the apple chutney really compliment the liver mousse. The house dressing for the salad was great. The Moule frites was cooked just right, so often they are over cooked. The only concern I have was that there was no finger bowl afterwards. May be this is an European thing, that is what we get in Europe. The steak was done to perfection as well. The dessert is great too (some beignets), my other half loves it.

Now it comes to the part that I DON'T LIKE. Our waitress was very polite when she is in front of us. I asked where the halibut and mussels come from before I decide what to order. She said she has no idea, that I blame the manager, all staffs should know their menu inside out, including where the food comes from. I like to know for example, there are many types of mussels, people prefer Prince Edward Island mussels is because they are consistent quality, sweet and tender and a good size too. Our lovely waitress thought this is a bit of an embarrassment to her and went to the hostess to complain. We were sitting in front of the window, I can see her and over heard her. After she enquired if the main course was ok, I said I had not tried it yet, but the plating looks great. There she goes again. She went over to the hostess again. Now it is rude and irritating. I would not go as far as customer is always right, but serving staff should have manners and etiquette, there are some that are definitely faux pas, talking about the customer or complaining about their behaviour within earshot is not a good idea....... She is lucky that she still get a 20% tip, if it is me who is paying, she might get less!

THAT IS WHY IT YIELDED THIS PLACE A 2 STARS, I have to think twice before I go back. I still love the food though.

• Visited April 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I think I shall go here again, and again, and again”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

So I order their Steak Frites (third time) and guess what is is just as tender and juicy as the other times. Service is outstanding, but not overbearing. Now I know that others will wax on and on about they type of place this is but let us get real - it is a local pub/bar/bistro that is great.

I would not by lying in telling you that YOU HAVE TO go to this place. Your can eat, drink and mingle (somewhat).

Tonight I set just off where the fireplace is - it was being tended by a member of the staff and the smell of wood was noticeable.

• Visited March 2013