“Could Not Have Been Better!”

Chester Arthur House B & B at Logan Circle
Ranked #5 of 36 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 24, 2005

What an amazing place! Historical, luxurious, close to all the tourist sites, and very affordable. Cannot be beat by any hotel. Loved the third floor which has a kitchenette. Very quiet. Stayed for three nights with our two kids. Wish we could have stayed for a week. The hosts were very gracious and accommodating. Loved having breakfast out on the back deck. Only three rooms available, so it always feels as though you have the house to yourself. We will definitely stay here again next time we visit Washington, D.C.!

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank jonbella

Reviewed June 7, 2005

I stayed at the B&B while attending a conference held at a downtown hotel. I never stay at conference hotels because of the noise problems and often very high cost.

The Chester A. Arthur house was very nice. I had a room on the second floor that faced the circle and was nervous about traffic noise, but there's a handy humidifer (I think?) you can turn on at night that makes enough white noise to mask traffic sounds. I slept great in my very comfortable bed.

The neighborhood is great. There's a huge Whole Foods market just a few blocks away and it's a great place to browse or pick up a quick meal. There are also some terrific local restaurants and Dupont Circle is a short walk away (maybe 20 minutes but the neighborhood was so cool I enjoyed the hike).

The only downside (and it wasn't for me, but I like to walk) is that the closest metro stop is a bit of a hike. And at the end of a very long day, I did grumble to myself a bit about it. As I recall, it's 5-6 blocks away (long blocks). So if you're looking for somewhere within sight of the Metro, this isn't your place. However, bus stops are close and there are lots of taxis.

The hosts are great. I didn't eat breakfast while there because I had to hurry to conference breakfasts, but I did sneak fruit from the table several mornings and it seemed to contain the makings of a great feast.

I highly recommend this B&B and I've stayed in at least 7 other B&B's in the DC area over the years.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank Larisa T
Belleuve Washington
Reviewed January 24, 2005

My husband and I traveled to Washington specifically to see the new American Indian Museum. We selected our stay over the Internet. The Chester Arthur B&B is just as lovely in person as the website pictures lead you to believe. Our research left us a little tentative about the neighborhood, but we quickly discovered Logan circle to be conveniently located, safe and full of excellent local restaurants. Our hosts recommended many other DC attractions, all were excellent. Our room was large, very clean and filled with charm-- I so wanted to buy the beautiful carved bed! Thanks to Don and Pat for making our stay enjoyable.

Mary, from the other Washington (the state!)

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Helena, MT
Reviewed October 13, 2004

The accolades at this site and the pictures and description persuaded us to stay at the Chester Arthur B&B. All of the info was correct. Our Victoian room was spacious and looked just as pictured. Our hostess was very helpful and the breakfast in the beautiful dining room was great. The neighborhood and nearby restaurants were all we could have wanted and the access to the bus was a real plus. But, much as these things pleased us, we don't think we could recommend this B&B. It falls short on the two most important features of a place to stay: the beautiful bed sags to the middle and the old-world bathroom does not deliver enough water for a reasonable shower. The only way to wash one's hair is by kneeling on the floor at the bath faucet. The sink drain is slow and the tile and grout around the tub is an eyesore. It may be clean, but it is in desperate need of being ripped out and replaced. It is the worst bathroom we've ever paid for.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded January 22, 2005

First we'd like to thank these guests for the nice things they had to say. As for their complaints, we take all such comments very seriously, and address them promptly. This particular stay took place in one of the very rare periods when both of us were out of town, and our daughter was running the show. Although she lives off premises, she was available every day at breakfast, and no problems were ever mentioned to her.
The bathroom sink drain guard has long since been replaced and the sink drains very quickly now. The tub has been completely re-grouted.
We're not sure what to make of the complaint about the bed. This Romanesque Revival (1860s) bed frame was rebuilt and enlarged to modern standards when we acquired it. The premium mattress is barely a year old, and has never been the subject of complaints before or since. As a matter of fact, some guests have gone out of their way to say how comfortable this bed is.
Water pressure: When we started 14 years ago, we upgraded the water system, including installing all new copper supply pipes and a large capacity water heater. We have never had complaints about low water pressure. However, we never run our dishwasher and washing machine together during daily peak bath hours. Unfortunately we failed to mention this to our daughter, and believe this accounts for the problem they mentioned. We wish they had brought the subject to her attention so it could have been corrected while they were still here.
Our slogan at Chester A. Arthur House Bed and Breakfast is "Victorian Splendor, Modern Comfort." We work hard every day to live up to that standard. Fourteen years' worth of generous comments in our guest books indicate that we usually succeed.

Williamsburg, MA
Reviewed January 26, 2004

I've traveled to DC many times. Stayed at hotels and several B&B's. The Chester Arthur B&B trumps them all! Clean like my mothers house, charming and comfortable, with the most gracious hosts. They have a great home and make guests feel really welcome. Walked to the new Convention center (great job DC). Large spacious rooms, with all the ammenities for busniess or pleasure. Reasonable rates too.Thanks for a great stay-- I'll be back Joe

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 30, 2003

The Chester Arthur B&B exceeded our expectations. Don and Pat are wonderful hosts who made our stay very comfortable. They were a wealth of knowledge about Washington DC. It was our first trip, and we were grateful for their help in navigating the city. The home was especially clean, and the continental breakfast was so much more than the standard muffin or bagel. We would highly recommend this home to anyone traveling to DC.

Brian and Ann

• Stayed: November 2003, traveled on business
4  Thank BrianSpfld
Spfld Massachusettes
Reviewed July 20, 2003

My wife and I traveled to Washington for a stay of 5 nights. I attended a conference and my wife sightseeing. The Chester Arthur B&B is located right on Logan circle in northwest Washington. This home was much more than we expected. The owners Don and Pat were gracious, and accommodating. They offered wonderful information about their home and Washington sights, restaurants and entertainment. The room was spacious, comfortable and spotless. The continental breakfast hardly describes the wonderful fresh breads, choices of cereals, fresh fruit and fresh hot coffee served. The home was walking distance to the Washington Convention center, and a bus 1 block took my wife to the sights in 10 minutes. We would recommend this home to anyone traveling to Washington DC

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member