Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from $13.50
from $150.00
from $49.00
1,148 results
All reviews marjorie merriweather post faberge eggs russian art japanese garden decorative arts post cereal van ness pet cemetery gardens are beautiful garden tour jewelry exhibit rose garden audio tour rock creek park suggested donation full bloom spend an afternoon
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Sadly, we got rained out only an hour after we got there but what we saw was amazing. We would love to go back and walk the grounds and see the flowers. We only saw the house but loved the tour and the history.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The Post mansion has wonderful architecture, beautiful art, an interesting peek into the past life of an aristocrat and lovely gardens. The cafe has a nice lunch soup and salad though we had gone there for tea and must have missed the time they serve tea. If you are using public transportation as well as "hoofing it" don't use the guidebook directions. The guard at the gate says that way is much longer--and it's uphill. Take the metro to the Van Ness station. Get off and walk south until you reach Upton Avenue. Take a left (north) and you will be entering a subdivision. Keep going until you come to the fork. This is Linnean Ave. Take a right and continue to the Hillwood entrance which will be on the left.

4  Thank vlw923
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was visiting Washington for the weekend and we were looking for some Bastille Day events. This magnificent Museum which was once the home of Marjorie Merriweather Post fit the bill BUT the home and grounds were so fascinating that we had little time to enjoy all of the French events. The admission fee is $18 for adults and includes a free audio tour if you wish to get a lot of detail about the exhibits. The musuem also allows photography so that was a treat.
The home inclued many of the original furnishings and very impressive collections of French and Russian china, porcelein and glassware. The home is elegantly designed and one gets a real feel for what life may have been liek here when she Mrs. Post lived here. After touring the home we toured the gardens, her adirondack home which is a recreation of her summer cabin in upstate New york and the greenhouse. The greenhouse had an amazing collection of orchids. It was very hot and humid but the home was very comfortable. The cafe is disappointing and was very crowded but that may have been due to the Bastille Day events. The food in the cafe was adequete. We spent a good 4 hours here and had a lovely day. I would go again. It is not a good place for small children as they may get bored but for those who like to look at beautiful things this is the place to go. We all decided we could adjust quite well to living like this!!

1  Thank catlover710
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I spent the better part of a day last week at Hillwood, the estate of Marjorie Merriweather Post. We just loved it here. Her collections of Russian china, crystal and glassware is the finest in the world. The artwork she collected during her lifetime is fantastic and everything is displayed throughout the museum with care and creativity. Her life was quite interesting - she was the heiress to the Post cereal fortune and her four husbands, all men of wealth including E.F. Hutton, all contributed in some fashion to the collections she left for all of us to enjoy.

This is a must-see in Washington, D.C., situated in a wooded section of the district in its northwest section near Rock Creek Park, about five miles from the mall. It is worth seeking out. It is quiet and peaceful, both inside and out. We chose the audio self-guided tour which explained everything to anyone's satisfaction. The mansion is beautiful and elegant. The grounds feature different gardens, a recreation of Mrs. Post's Adirondack estate, a putting green and many other interesting features. There is also a wonderful restaurant on the premises. I would advise making a reservation for lunch as it is very popular.

The fee for admission is $15.00, $12.00 for seniors. I did not see where paying admission was optional, but the fee is well worth it. There is so much to see here. The whole museum conveys class and elegance as life was lived by the wealthy in the 1950's and 1960's. It is a national treasure.

1  Thank Equity
Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you're just visiting DC there are probably a lot of things you should see before Hillwood, but we live here so this was on my bucket list of places I wanted to see before we leave DC. The previous reviews who said it's quite a walk from the Metro aren't lying, but it's not a bad walk and you go by several interesting residences which make the walk go fast. You do have the option of driving but the parking seems to be limited and cars were all over the place, including quite a ways from Hillwood itself. If you choose to walk, have a good rest before you start back to the Metro. I was exhausted after touring the house and grounds so the walk back was hard. I'm an overweight woman in her 60's so a younger person in decent shape would probably have no problem at all. I thought the house and grounds were beautiful - find it hard to believe that people could and do actually live like that. There are treasurers throughout the house - all very interesting - and the mimes, people in period costume, including Napoleon and Josephine just add to the experience. I found all the volunteers very knowledgeable and helpful. As to whether the cost to get in is a fee or a donation, I would definitely say it's a fee and it's up to $18 for adults. The whole experience makes me want to know more about Marjorie Merriweather Post. One thing I learned that I hadn't known was that she was married and divorced 4 times, and her second husband was E.F. Hutton. Her daughter with Mr. Hutton is none other than Dina Merrill, the actress. The only thing I would criticize about Hillwood is the café. It's very badly run and the service is unbelievably slow. On Saturday's they only serve an ''express'' menu and that applies to the food only, not the service! We chose the outside service area on the advice of one of the managers who said the inside line was even worse than the outside line. There was only one person who took, prepared and accepted payment for each order. There was another person there, and at one time, two other people, but they were just standing there watching the one girl do everything. At one point, a manager came out and told the girl who was just standing there to start taking and handing out orders so the other person would just be handling the payment. So, this girl started in the middle of this long line and took one order, like I said, in the MIDDLE OF THIS LONG LINE! As someone who'd been standing in line for quite a while, I didn't appreciate seeing someone behind me get waited on first. But back to Hillwood. Once you've done the museums and monuments, this is a good place to visit. I liked it better than Dumbarton Oaks.

1  Thank Linda E