“A Gem ( actually plenty of those)”

Hillwood Museum & Gardens
Ranked #17 of 460 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hillwood, the grand estate of Post Cereal heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post, sits on 25 acres overlooking Rock Creek Park in northwest Washington DC. Along with a world renowned collection of Russian and French decorative arts, Hillwood also features extensive gardens and special exhibitions.
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

We took a morning off, just me and my spouse. We loved the museum, it is certainly unique in its personal, almost intimate atmosphere and its exquisite items. Our tour guide was remarkable in knowledge and her love to the museum was infectious. All in all a highly recommended museum for a civilized morning....

Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed October 27, 2012

the docent said I love it when people say it is much more than I expected. Blown away I was. Now playing the dvd I bought to remember some of the stunning things I saw. This is a recieprical museum for free admission. Staff full of Southern charm. The venue is immaculate. You can eat off the floors. Do use the recorded devices after you figure them out for valuable information on what you are looking at. There is an elevator. You will need to go back several times to see it all. Ate outdoors at the cafe. Goumet food. Almost too beautiful to eat. Fresh. Could have spent the day in the shade. Don't miss the garden tour. There was a special exhibit by a french paper sculpturer that was stunning. A little girl got stung by a bee and recieved medical attention on the spot. Plenty of underground parking. Don't try to do the walk from town public transportation unless you do marathons. Photos allowed. Some seating available in the house. Coat check room. Unisex rest room one seater inside of the house. Separate admission building with extensive gift shop. Pricey but worth it. I got a Russian inspired pendant egg that I treasure and wish I had spent the money for more than one. lots of books on Russan history. This is a jewel box compared to Kakuit, and Builtmore There is nothing remotely masculine about it even the male guest room you could love. Fresh flowers through out. Frist time I ever saw a velvet covered banaster rail. The chandillair lights make a heart pattern on the marble floor.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

A few years after Hillwood Museum & Gardens first opened to the public, I had the opportunity to visit the former home of Marjorie Merriweather Post. I have never forgotten that tour. We arrived in DC Saturday and I hadn't made plans for Sunday and then remembered the tour of Hillwood and looked it up on GOOGLE. We were lucky to be in town for their Select Sunday program. The weather was absolutely beautiful and perfect for visiting the gardens. Don't miss taking the docent tour. These volunteers have an enormous wealth of knowledge about the history of Hillwood. Make sure you make a reservation for the cafe. We didn't and had to wait in line to take food out in the garden. No complaints though, twas a beautiful day and we weren't in a hurry.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This estate which belonged to Margaret Meriwether Post is spectacular and the collections - especially of Russian artifacts - is something well worth seeing. You can easily spend a full day touring the museum and gardens and lunching at the cafe

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hillwood is one the most beautiful houses I have ever visited anywhere in the world. Its collections of French and Russian antiques are priceless, and its gardens are splendid, especially during the azalea season.