“A delight for the gluten-free diner”
Review of Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase - CLOSED

Rosa Mexicano - Chevy Chase
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ingomar St NW
Transit: Red Line - Friendship Heights.
Description: Chevy Chase is our third Washington, DC area location. Launched in February 2012, this 150-seat restaurant includes spacious indoor, outdoor, and private dining seating. Blending traditional and modern elements of Mexican craft and architecture, the warm and vibrant decor features Rosa Mexicano’s signature hues of pinks and purples. Multi-dimensional art work complements rich fabrics and textures, as well as a floor-to-ceiling display of tequila bottles. Directly over the bar and extending into the dining lounge area, the ceiling glows with pink haze lighting that is set against an electric blue tiled cascading water wall, inspired by those at sister Rosa Mexicano locations. The enclosed patio area features a wall of vertical colored glass bands, creating a focal point from the street and exhibiting arrival for the Rosa Mexicano experience that awaits.The restaurant’s location is just steps away from Chevy Chase Pavilion and stores such as Neiman Marcus, Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, Barneys, Gucci and more, among a variety of restaurants and hotels.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I went here for our 15th wedding anniversary. We had heard about it because of its plentiful gluten-free menu. The GF menu had about as many options as my wife had ever seen.

The meal started off with two glasses of champagne, compliments of the restaurant (a nice touch). We then ordered the guacamole, hand made right at your table. We ordered it mild (spiciness), but would probably order it a higher spiciness level in the future. It was tasty, but definitely could have used some kick.

We both ordered the vegetarian soft tacos (I'm a vegan) and both really enjoyed it! There weren't a lot of vegan choices, but this one suited me just fine. Overall it was a good meal & left us satisfied. The service was just right - helpful with out being intrusive.

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Friendship Heights is crying out for non-gloopy, fresh food, moderately priced restaurants. I was thrilled to hear Rosa was opening. I've been six times in the last six months and every time I've been just a little more disappointed. The food is generally too sweet, the favours not balanced enough to make this a great restaurant. No zing. And, it's hard to attract attention from the wait staff. Do something, Management. This is a golden opportunity.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have been to the Rosa Mexicano in downtown. This one is significantly smaller, but a better location from my home. We had the guacamole table side and then chicken quesadillas. They were both very tasty and fresh much better than you would get at other similar places. I did not like that they did not offer fajitas which I think are pretty standard at a Mexican place. It was a Saturday mid afternoon and the service was sort of slow a few times I had to call the waiter over to the table after we were not checked on to refill drinks, etc. The atmosphere is nice and quieter than the DC location. It is pricey and they also do not have sour cream. They offered something similar to us that seemed to be a watered down version. It was fine, but still not sour cream. Overall I'd recommend it just so you know what to expect.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Having dined at the Rosa Mexicano in DC I had high expectations for our meal in the Chevy Chase restaurant. Unfortunately it was a huge disappointment.

The restaurant was completely lacking in atmosphere and the staff generally seemed disinterested and mechanical. The food was OK but again, the plate and what was on it lacked the enthusiasm of the sister restaurant.

I would be unlikely to ever return here again, assuming the restaurant stays open, which is itself doubtful. Avoid this place and go the DC one instead.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Nothing more than OK, although I can tell you that the super sized guac made at your table is a very nice dish! One of my pet peeves is salad dressing since I have some health issues and avoid commercial salad dressings in favor of oil & vinegar that I can mix myself. Getting olive oil was mildly difficult and it was very plain oil (I can't verify that it really was olive oil) - no vinegar to be found so I squeezed a lemon which was a fine substitute. Mixed drinks were miniscule, choices of wines by the glass not very imaginative. Rose' wine is listed under the reds,,, huh?? Note to management: The setting is very pleasant and nice, you have a good opportunity to improve the experience by infusing some more distinctive food choices.