“Great Hotel but Noisy at Night”

Ranked #39 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Melrose for 2 nights for our trip to see the ballet at the Kennedy Center. The valet parking was a great start and check in was quick and easy. The room was well lit, comfortable and spacious and we slept well first night. Second night we were woken up at 2am by a group of very noisy guests, shouting in the corridors, banging doors (they had at least 3 rooms), one of whom tried to get in our room. The noise eventually subsided after an hour and we were able to get back to sleep.

The hotel is excellently located, close to the Foggy Bottom metro and within easy walking distance of the National Mall, Kennedy Center and many of the monuments. The hotel restaurant is excellent, one of the best we've ever tried and reasonably priced.

All in all, a very good stay slightly spoiled by the noise on Saturday night

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James R
MelroseGM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thank you for your review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel, James R. We do our best to make your stay is as smooth and comfortable as possible. We do apologize for noisy guests and hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to impress you the next time you travel to D.C.

Melrose Georgetown Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed at this hotel last weekend to see the city, firstly I would like to say that all the big boys (tripadvisor, booking.com, expedia etc) are not doing you any favours using the outside picture of the hotel, I nearly didn't even look at your hotel, as this front picture doesn't match the inside! Luckily I did! What a gem! I thought the rate was very reasonable for a city hotel, and it's location was great for getting around on the metro (TOOOO cold to walk!), and wholefoods at Georgetown was our first stop each morning before getting the metro. The bed was EXTREMELY comfy, and I loved the bathrobes and towels, we have stayed in many hotels around the world, and the linens in this hotel are exceptional. The door staff were extremely friendly and well worth a mention working in those temperatures. OK, there was a negative! I was flicking through your Facebook page, and it showed a complimentary hot chocolate bar, to which I immediately made my boyfriend go downstairs to investigate, he asked at reception, to which they said they would be sent to our room - $32 later! We had two very nice hot chocolates, yes, he had asked for baileys to be added, but clearly there is no complimentary hot chocolate! That did put a bit of a downer on the stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gecko7980

Thank you, Gecko7980, for your review of our recently reinvented Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed our glamorously chic art-deco inspired interiors and the colorful Georgetown setting as much as we do! We are looking into the hot chocolate offering to see what happened. We hope you stay with us again and enjoy our signature, farm-to-fork restaurant Jardenea!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

The rooms at this hotel are stunning with modern decor. I'm so pleased every single time I stay here. It is perfect for couples/staycation. The location is amazing - just steps away from Georgetown, Whole Foods, and the Foggy Bottom Metro. The best thing about the Melrose is the way the hotel representatives treat you. From the concierge, to checking in, to the room service, it always goes above and beyond my expectation. I specifically would like to commend Vladimir for his impeccable service and for his accommodating nature. We stayed recently for two nights and were delightfully surprised that we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite at a very affordable rate (the rate I originally booked via online). Originally we are to stay only one night and I had to extend and Vladimir extended our stay easily and seamlessly without having to switch rooms. So we really enjoyed the suite. This is all thanks to Vladimir and to Robert - both gentlemen who are at the front desk who gave that extra special "wow" feeling when you stay at a hotel. I'm really thankful and will be back soon. Thank you to the GM, Jale Hashimi too. Although we have never met, keep up the superior and highly attentive treatment that your team always delivers. I look forward to my next stay at the Melrose.

Room Tip: Corner king facing the K street side is always nice. Higher floor is the best.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
MelroseGM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Rikka A, we are so glad to hear you enjoyed our recently reinvented contemporary interiors that reflect the beautiful and upbeat Georgetown neighborhood! We pride ourselves in treating our guests with great service and are happy to make your stay memorable. We hope your travels bring you back to our hotel and that you can enjoy our farm-to-fork, Jardenea restaurant next time!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We were fortunate to be upgraded on arrival to a one bedroom king suite. It was lovely, very comfortably furnished. Only thing was it overlooked the front of the hotel and was very noisy at night. Surprisingly , our suite lacked tea and coffee making facilities which we really missed. I like my early morning coffee in bed! We ordered room service one morning but decided $40 (with tip)for 2 coffees, 1 juice and 3 small pastries was excessive. There's a small deli 2 doors along which does good take-out coffee and pastries($8 for 2 coffees, 1 OJ, 1 delicious croissant !)
We made use of the parking at the hotel which was valet parking only. Our car was left unlocked at the front of the hotel for approx an hour and not always being watched as we realised when we went out for dinner. The staff, without exception , we're courteous , welcoming and helpful. Add tea&coffee facilities and we'd return!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather-in-Canada

Thank you, hmckl, for sharing your experience at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed our recently reinvented art-deco inspired interiors. While our location gives great options for exploration, Melrose Georgetown Hotel wants to make sure everything you need is at your disposal. We hope you will visit us again and enjoy breakfast and coffee on us. The lack of attention to your car while under our care is unacceptable and we will look into our valet service to fix this problem immediately. We hope your travels will bring you back to Melrose Georgetown Hotel in the future to give us another chance at making your stay most enjoyable.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

My stay at the Melrose is an object lesson in how one or two people can taint what is otherwise a good experience. On arriving after a long journey, I was greeted with friendly and efficient front of house staff, and check-in was efficient and courteous. My room was spacious, comfortable, clean, and well-equipped.

What lets the place down terribly is the restaurant, and in particular one or two staff on duty for breakfast and lunch. One individual in particular was indifferent to the point of rudeness and got my order wrong. That was on day one ... On day two, I went down for breakfast an noone came near me to serve for a full ten minutes, and then only after I had got up from my table to ask someone to come and take my order. When the check arrived, items I had not ordered were included, and the word TIP had been circled in a pointed way.... I reciprocated by putting my own large circle next to it, and I never darkened the restaurant door again, preferring to take breakfast elsewhere.

I complained about service and rudeness to the manager on duty at reception, and was assured that the charge for breakfast that morning would be removed... It wasn't. In addition, on check-out, a breakfast I had not taken had been billed to my room instead of someone else's..

So ... I'm afraid to say that the restaurant experience has tainted my view. I travel widely, across continents, and I have never received such poor service in a restaurant.

If this were fixed, I'd go back, but otherwise not....

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Andrew J
MelroseGM, General Manager at Melrose Georgetown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thank you, Andrew J, for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our recently reinvented guest rooms and decor. The service and charges you experienced while dining with us is unacceptable and we have corrected the invoice - please check your bank statements for the credit. We will look into the service during breakfast and lunch to determine who of our associates handled our valuable guests in such a manner. We hope your business travels bring you back to Melrose Georgetown Hotel and also allow for you to give Jardenea another opportunity to impress you.

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Ive just stayed at the Melrose....for one night.I wish i had stayed for the whole weekend.
My husband and I booked a regular king room.We payed 101 with taxes included.Great deal for us !!
The room was clean,modern and bright.Nothing to complain about.There were snacks and bottles in the room,available to purchase.A little bit pricey but imo they tasted great so i didnt really mind.
My only minus would be regarding the location.Its in a nice neighborhood with a bunch of new residential properties but a little bit remote from the rest of Washington and there wasnt a lot of restaurants around.Thats my opinion.Doesn't change the fact that its one of the best hotels ive stayed at.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you, Lea K, for your positive and helpful review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your night! We hope to see you extend your stay next visit so that you can experience our farm-to-fork, Jardenea restaurant.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed here with two other friends for a night while visiting the DC area. We booked a room with two double beds. Although the building was under renovation it was still very clean and comfortable. The thing I liked the most though was the helpful staff. From booking the reservation to storing our bags while we toured the city - the people working here were very pleasant. The cost of parking was $45/night but that was comparable to other options we checked out. Plus, we were also able to leave our car there until 3pm the next day (even though we checked out before noon). That allowed us to get one more museum tour in before we left. In leu of the metro we took a cab everywhere we went (it was $6 from the hotel to the White House).

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank JenniferH20

Dear Jennifer H,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are glad you were able to enjoy your stay at Melrose Georgetown Hotel. We hope you return in the near future so we can provide you with the same experience.