“Very Helpful and decent Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melrose Georgetown Hotel

Melrose Georgetown Hotel
Ranked #36 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
LUCKNOW
“Very Helpful and decent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for three days. The hotel desk and other staff was very courteous. The hotel has excellent facility of easy accessibility. They have installed a chair lift in the Lobby for access to the elevators and assistance is always available for operating it. The hotel room was large, well designed and carefully decorated. Though the beds were rather high, I think it is the norm in the modern hotels. Will recommend it those who visit this nice and civic city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Copenhagen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed for five nights during the Cherry Blossom Festival in April 2013 and had a perfect room with lots of space and a "Constitution" wallpaper behind the desk which gave a good connection to being in Washington. Looked like it had been newly renovated and had a perfect air con. Outside the hotel was a seating area where you could have a glass of wine and a cold beer (and we did - it was near 30 degrees Celcius when we arrived). Hotel is situated 10 minutes walk from the old part of town and five minutes from the subway and a string of restaurants/bars. We can highly recommend this place and will surely stay here again. And by the way - also a very kind and helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our second visit to the Melrose, and both times we've been very pleased with it. It was more expensive this time because of the Memorial Day holiday, but it was still less expensive than comparable hotels. The Melrose has a really excellent and professional staff; they are a real asset. The room was very pleasant and clean and spacious, and you can't beat the location. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Salem MA USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We arrived at the Melrose after receiving a confirmation for their "generously sized 425 sq. ft deluxe double guest rooms feature sitting area, coffee table" for a 3 night stay at 330 dollars plus tax per night. The stay was a disaster. We were given a very typical, very small room that did have one chair squeezed between the bed and a wall. There was certainly no coffee table and no one could honestly call this chair a "seating area". The room was 11 by 15 feet and when I just mentioned to the woman at the desk that our room was certainly smaller than expected, she told me I was wrong -- the room was in fact 425 square feet and the furniture arrangement made the room seem smaller.

Then a terrible smell came in through the vents and we had to change our room the next day. The new room, although certainly not 425 square feet, did have a small "seating area" and it did not not have a terrible odor.

When checking in we were given coupons for a "breakfast buffet". We were given tea or coffee and toast or a horrible croissant with 4 small pieces of fruit. I realized this hotel seems to have an aversion to honesty.

Our reservation quoted parking at $34 -- at checkout we were charged $38.

But the worst part of our stay was when I tried to speak to the same woman at the desk to tell her I would have preferred honesty about the room size rather than being treated like an idiot. She said she never spoke to me and there is another African-American woman working at the hotel. This was extremely insulting to me -- her implication is that I cannot tell one African American woman from another.

The one positive thing about this hotel is the young men at the door -- they were great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Cloudy_in_Salem
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel conveniently located. We arrived early and the room was actually ready for us (unfortunately they gave us a room that was still occupied!) they quickly moved us one floor up and all was well. We came back later in the evening to watch our basketball team on TV, but unfortunately the hotel satellite tv system didn't have the channel available. The manager made up for the inconvenience with free deserts delivered straight to our door and free wi-fi so we could watch on our iPad app! The manager deserves praise for making the experience a memorable one! Will stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed for two nights, this place has been totally redone and is gorgeous! In a great location between downtown and Georgetown, easy for the doorman to get a cab if there's not one waiting at their stand. Lobby is very chic, several comfortable seating areas and a small bar. Restaurant was great for breakfast, my eggs over medium were perfectly cooked and the potatoes were delicious and crispy ( love that!). Also saw some outdoor seating. Room was oversized, love the "Constitution" wallpaper behind the desk and the extra plugs they installed on the front side, gorgeous furniture and very good bed. Bathroom door was a little awkward but ok. Incredible shower, great water pressure which is sometimes missing in older hotels like this. Loved the large closet and had a great view of DC. And free wifi!! Staff was very helpful, took care of some unusual requests with a smile. Front desk clerk called me by name several times when I passed by, that was impressive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Richardson, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have stayed at quite a few hotels in D.C. over almost a dozen trips. This hotel is quite nice. Apparently it was remodeled recently. It is quite swank when walking into the lobby. I did not interact with the staff much, but they were pleasant enough. I stayed in a king room and it was nice and roomy with a wide open entry way. The carpet is thick, as are the linens. I did not have a street view, but I wasn't there for the view. The temperature was comfortable, as was the bed. The shower water was always hot. The TV didn't have that annoying hotel viewing screen that usually pops up and just took me to the channels. I definitely liked that, because those systems are usually dreadfully slow. The hotel doesn't have a restaurant that I noticed, but the room service menu for breakfast looked really tasty. There is a nice bar if you're looking for that. My co-worker also stayed here and said the wireless internet was dreadfully slow, but your mileage may vary depending on location. I used my 4G Verizon phone as a hot spot, which worked well (cannot be said for all hotels). One thing I would improve would be easier access to electrical outlets. There was no open outlet anywhere near the desk in my room. Even the one behind the desk was fully utilized already and I did not want to unplug the lamp. I have stayed in other hotels that had electrical outlets built into lamp bases, which I love. I did have an outlet near the bed for easy phone charging access though. The only other improvement I would like is some type of towel bar in the sink area of the bathroom. The only thing in the bathroom to hang stuff up on was the hook on the back of the bathroom door in the shower/toilet section.

The price was quite decent for the area (it's all relative). I am not sure if it's really a family type hotel, but I would recommend it for business, solo, friends, or couples travel. All in all, I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business