“Urban Gem”

Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens
Ranked #110 of 450 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Located in NE DC on the Anacostia River withreasonably easy access from the city.Acres of marsh and pond filled with wildlife and birds and seasonal foliage like water lillies.Very pleasant and particularly nice in spring.Well worth the trip.

There are newer reviews for Kenilworth Park and Aquatic Gardens

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I'd visited here as a kid and wanted to take my own kiddo here. As other reviewers have mentioned, this is said to be a rough neighborhood (and have had park rangers at other sites mention as such) so driving might be your best option.
Having said that, I had no idea that the middle of July was the best time to view the blooming water lilies so we just lucked upon the right time to visit. This is one of those spots where visiting earlier in the day is better....we came late in the day and some flowers had closed up. Having said that, it was still gorgeous and just drop-dead amazing. It seemed we had the place to ourselves.....except for the plants, the black snake we startled (or who startled us), the dragonflies, frogs, turtles. Well, you get the idea.
It was amazing. Definitely a must-see! Oh and they have binoculars that they'll let you borrow and a small gift shop that (thankfully for us) had bottled water for sale. The park rangers were amazing here!

1  Thank teachermomVirginia
Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is a beautiful park to visit. It is nice all the time but must be amazing in Mid-July when all the water lilies will be blooming. The trails are nice. I recommend this park highly to all nature lovers.
The park also provide for good bird watching and nature photography.

1  Thank Farhad A
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Wonderful park with easy-to-walk trails to the river and around the gardens. This was my first time visiting and I plan to visit once/month from here on just to see what's blooming, what's changed. We visited the Visitor's Center while we were there and the restrooms. Restrooms were basic but clean. Ranger in the visitor center could not have been more hospitable and helpful.

It is located in what many consider to be a bad part of town. I'm not sure I would take metro to the location and have to walk through the neighborhood, but felt perfectly comfortable driving and parking my car in the lot there. Rangers were out and about at 7:30AM when I arrived.

I can't wait until my next visit!

1  Thank Imzpickle
Reviewed February 20, 2012

There's always something to see here - herons, eagles, turtles, flowers, - you just can never tell what you'll see. There is rarely a crowd so it truly is a great little spot to get away. The staff are always very friendly and helpful. I