“I enjoyed it!”

$49.00*
Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour of Washington DC: Monuments, Landmarks and Memorials
$73.75*
and up
Washington DC Super Saver: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley and Monuments by Moonlight...
Ranked #49 of 458 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Opened in 2002, the International Spy Museum provides interactive exhibits and contains the most extensive collection of spy artifacts ever displayed.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed May 21, 2007

I enjoyed this tour, but give yourself lots of time (I spent 4 hours inside-although about 45 minutes was waiting in line...yes, I had prepaid tickets). I don't think children would enjoy it very much, its a lot of reading and oriented toward adults. Very cool to see all the now unclassified spy stuff. Makes you wonder what all the classified stuff spies use today!

3  Thank Sandralah

Reviewed May 1, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of information in this museum. After reading other reviews, I went in a little trepiditious, but I'm so glad we took the time to visit!

We had no problems getting into the facility. We purchased our tickets online well in advance and the wait to get in was not long. I must respond to the various comments where people had to switch back and forth in line before enterning the museum. People -- it's called a queue and it's used to keep orderly lines. Anyone who has been to the airport, a fast food restaurant or an amusement park should be familar with them.

I thought the part about picking an identity was fun. I also liked the many interactive displays throughout the musuem. Like any other musuem, there was a lot to read and digest. It's not something you can walk through and absorb without making a little effort.

We spent at least two hours here. By the end of our visit I was a little tired of reading, but that's because we made it a point to spend quality time at each exhibit. Because of the amount of information, I wouldn't take children under about 15 here -- there's just too much to read.

The only dissapointment was the gift shop. The items were not as unique as I would have liked. I guess the upside of that was I didn't find anything to spend my money on...

Overall, I recommend the International Spy Musuem for anyone who has a sense of adventure and is looking for an afternoon of fun.

2  Thank SoDakTraveler
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Yes, the place is crowded. As with most tourist destinations you are required to wait in line, and experience a pre show. I'm from Orlando and I'm very good at waiting in lines and in crowds. I fully expect them when visiting a tourist attraction - this does not deter me. The crowds do spread out inside among the many exhibits, even on a busy Easter Weekend we found it easy to see all we wanted once the initial crowd moved about.

The exhibits were fascinating. They display typical spy gadgetry we would only see up on the big screen in the latest James Bond flick. The exhibits were also set in these very detailed theme areas, when learning about East Berlin you are surrounded by warning signs in German, fences and checkpoints.

There is a lot of reading involved so I don't think it's all that fun for the little ones, say under 6. There are some interactive exhibits that older childeren will love. And of course, if your significant other is as big a fan of James Bond as mine is, he will LOVE the Bond car on exhibit.

3  Thank MissJacksonMesa
Reviewed April 14, 2007

My wife & I live in Maryland and have been waithing for the perfect rainy weekend to see the Spy Museum

.....What a let down. As the other reviews have stated it takes about 45min. to stand in the cattle lines and then there is one (single) elevator that takes you upstairs to the museum. Way overcrowed (it's a very small museum) we might as well have been in a mosh pit at a rock concert. The museum it's self is layed out very poorly with no flow at all The displays are monotonus and wordy and really unimaginative. They have video monitors everwhere describing different spys, and how they were caught etc. Unfortunately you have probably seen most of it on The Discovery Channel or on the internet. I'm really sorry to tell you this...especially in the heart of the museum capital of the world Washington DC but.....If you do decide to go don't take the children. Most of the kids I saw looked really bored and confused and the parents were really frustrated.

I will not recomend the Spy Museum to anyone....What a let down.....You guys really blew it...Your apologies are not accepted. Save your $16.00

9  Thank duffscreations
Reviewed April 10, 2007

This is a very interesting museum for teenagers and adults. Small children will be very bored here, because most everything requires the ability to read and comprehend. It would be most enjoyable when it is not so very crowded, as it was when we were there. Too many people there prevent visitors from fully enjoying all the displays and information. If you are visiting DC during a heavy tourinst season, go very early or very late in the day. We went at 6 PM (it closes at 8, and 1 1/2 to 2 hours is about right), but it was still very crowded.

1  Thank NCTravelercatco